GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ordered 4Motion Sportwagen

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
The "Halloween cash" turned into "November bonus" cash for November. I know it's for leases, not 100% if it's still good for buys too. And it might be "dealer" cash, meaning they don't have to give it to you either...extra money to play with essentially.

The rebate though, you are eligible for

Do you need supplier pricing btw? ($500 below invoice price)
I can get that for you

I get the supplier pricing. The company I work for supplied over 500 robots to the Mexico plant for the 4motion retool. I suspect you are right about it being dealer cash as they gave me $1000 dealer cash on mine. The wife will get the same plus the VW loyalty. So all in an extra thousand on mine would have been nice but getting it early and not risking wrecking the TDI and loosing $24,000 because they are dragging their feet was worth the $1000.

Last edited:

GoatsAndMonkeys

This car seems great. Is there any way to get a AWD sportwagen with the 2.0 turbo engine? Seems like the perfect car for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
This car seems great. Is there any way to get a AWD sportwagen with the 2.0 turbo engine? Seems like the perfect car for me.

Nope, only offered with the 1.8 in the sportwagen. However, with the IS20 turbo from a GTI and a tune the 1.8 puts out just over 300hp.

Hobdul

FYI a 4Motion stick popped up at VW of Oakland this week on their website--happened to see it so went in to try to close the deal (and figure out why they had one on the lot). Given that it was white, I thought of Moby Dick.

Turns out a guy had special ordered it. Once it arrived, he ignored all of the dealer's calls for three weeks. It's unclear whether it should even have shown up on their site, as he apparently had first dibs on the vehicle. I know this because they called him when they realized I was ready to make the purchase, to give him one last chance to collect his special order. He turned up the next morning to take it home. :mad::mad::mad:

I wound up pulling the trigger anyway, and got a Platinum 4Motion DSG from another Bay Area dealer. The upside of no manual was that I had a lot more latitude for pricing negotiation.

Loving the car so far! After having driven a '95 Miata, an '06 Mini Cooper S, and an '08 BMW 135i, the Wagen's performance is not notable in stock form, but it's a very competent car and I can't wait to make a few tweaks to unleash its potential.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I get the supplier pricing. The company I work for supplied over 500 robots to the Mexico plant for the 4motion retool. I suspect you are right about it being dealer cash as they gave me $1000 dealer cash on mine. The wife will get the same plus the VW loyalty. So all in an extra thousand on mine would have been nice but getting it early and not risking wrecking the TDI and loosing $24,000 because they are dragging their feet was worth the $1000.

Who'd you deal with, btw?

I just bought a car from there and wasn't thrilled (at all) with the experience

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Nick Bishop. He is now a couple of buildings over at the KIA dealership until they replace the manager that quit.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
FYI a 4Motion stick popped up at VW of Oakland this week on their website--happened to see it so went in to try to close the deal (and figure out why they had one on the lot). Given that it was white, I thought of Moby Dick.

Turns out a guy had special ordered it. Once it arrived, he ignored all of the dealer's calls for three weeks. It's unclear whether it should even have shown up on their site, as he apparently had first dibs on the vehicle. I know this because they called him when they realized I was ready to make the purchase, to give him one last chance to collect his special order. He turned up the next morning to take it home. :mad::mad::mad:

I wound up pulling the trigger anyway, and got a Platinum 4Motion DSG from another Bay Area dealer. The upside of no manual was that I had a lot more latitude for pricing negotiation.

Loving the car so far! After having driven a '95 Miata, an '06 Mini Cooper S, and an '08 BMW 135i, the Wagen's performance is not notable in stock form, but it's a very competent car and I can't wait to make a few tweaks to unleash its potential.

Get a JB4. It wakes this car the hell up. Lol

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Nick Bishop. He is now a couple of buildings over at the KIA dealership until they replace the manager that quit.

Ahhh

See I was in a "bind" because I wanted a Passat V6....well guess what? There was only 1 in Michigan and they had it.
My local dealer thought they could trade for it but Serra wouldn't let it go.
Then my local dealer tried the 4 surrounding states, but there weren't any out there that the dealers would let go of (like 3 per state).
So then I went up to deal with them myself and I told them the numbers I'd received from my local dealer on the new car & my trade-in then they just kept telling me how they're a "best price dealer" and don't negotiate...blah blah blah

I got the car, but they didn't have a good attitude until after everything was approved & signed for (of course)

Dark Energy

Hey Hobdul-

I'm that "guy." Ordered the 6M and put down a deposit on September 19, 2016. Was told it would not arrive until April 2017. That is the schedule I was operating on and inaccurate that I was ignoring the dealer's calls, rather I was out of town for both work and family medical issues. Sully the sls mgr., was patient and understanding. Tony the GM, not so much. Anyhow, picked it up and blown away so far as to both performance and features considering it is the "base model."

After owning an 84 Jetta that had its issues with the heater core and pws, I have owned Subies [all manuals] for their AWD and reliability [a 81 GL Wgn, a 91 Legacy Wgn, a 98 Outback Wgn, an 03 Forester and a 11 WRX Hatch - which my son has commandered], this is a big jump back to VW for me as this is replacing the 98 Outback "to the surf and snow fun car" which had 242,228 miles and still running strong but had rust and needed a wheel bearing.

Going to enjoy as is for now, but the plan after adding some tint to the rear passenger and cargo windows is to boost the tune with an APR flash. What say the forum on APR v. JB? Maybe some Rally Armor flaps, but want this to be a low key rocket. And, then next snow season will mount some Yokohoma studless Iceguards on the stock 16 in rims, followed by a new set of black anodized 18 in rims and tires in the Spring.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Hey Hobdul-

I'm that "guy."

What are the odds. Found this too amusing.
Just curious how you found this thread.

Anyway, congrats on the Sportwagen.

I say go APR, unless you're planning on a turbo/ meth upgrade or you like tinkering. That being said, the JB4 guys are really close to ecu tunes. And if you have e85 available, you can extract more by being able to tune I.e. Jb4

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!
Ahhh

See I was in a "bind" because I wanted a Passat V6....well guess what? There was only 1 in Michigan and they had it.
My local dealer thought they could trade for it but Serra wouldn't let it go.
Then my local dealer tried the 4 surrounding states, but there weren't any out there that the dealers would let go of (like 3 per state).
So then I went up to deal with them myself and I told them the numbers I'd received from my local dealer on the new car & my trade-in then they just kept telling me how they're a "best price dealer" and don't negotiate...blah blah blah

I got the car, but they didn't have a good attitude until after everything was approved & signed for (of course)

I have had quite the opposite experience but have not tried to get something that was hard to find or in low numbers. Also the fact that between the wife and I and other family members have purchased 7 cars in 2 years from them, all from Nick.

4MotionWagen

Ready to race!

Same car and color that I bought. Loving this car on JB4. I put my wheels from my TDI on this car and think they completely changed the appearance. the JB4 really wakes this car up but I can't wait to put the IS20 and a tune on it. That being said, I surprise a lot of people with the JB4 and it still gets traction for days. My TDI handled great, was a blast to drive and put a smile on my face every time I drove it and I still miss the mileage, however, this car with the JB4 puts a little bigger smile on my face and makes up for the loss in mileage.

Going to enjoy as is for now, but the plan after adding some tint to the rear passenger and cargo windows is to boost the tune with an APR flash. What say the forum on APR v. JB? Maybe some Rally Armor flaps, but want this to be a low key rocket. And, then next snow season will mount some Yokohoma studless Iceguards on the stock 16 in rims, followed by a new set of black anodized 18 in rims and tires in the Spring.

Tinted windows, Rally Armor Flaps and black wheels look good on this car and would look just as good on a white wagon as well.

A couple of great choices, I hope you guys enjoy your Sportwagens as much as I do.

Last edited:

Dark Energy

Monkey - found it like anything else - Google. My son and I thought it was hilarious.
4Mo - That is a sweet ride! Haven't researched the Rally Armor flaps yet, but are they the Universal model or do they have some specific for the wagen? Let us know how the traction is with the IS20 pushing your Rwagen (for half the $).

Anyone thinking about adding fog-lights? OEM or aftermarket? How much hassle? The fogs on the Outback, Forester, Z4 and wife's Toyo Highlander add to vis both in clear and wet weather. The stock fogs on the WRX are useless other than for show. To get the 6M had to go with the "base" model, but the rest of the car is winterized, so some disappointment with no fog-light option (or HID/projectors) even with the special order. Guess they were trying to push us to the Alltrack?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I have had quite the opposite experience but have not tried to get something that was hard to find or in low numbers. Also the fact that between the wife and I and other family members have purchased 7 cars in 2 years from them, all from Nick.

I mean...I knew I wanted the car ahead of time & so did they...it was an easy deal, but they were being weird/shady about it.

I had to argue with them that the money factor was wrong, for example. They had it in as 0.0024. It was 0.0001 though, and my sales guy kept telling me I was wrong. Then he tells the manager and then he says "oh, I was gonna fix that." Uh huh, sure you were (had I not caught it). That "error" changed the payment by $15/month.

Wrapping it up, the manager tells me..."okay I'll do it, but I'm not doing this because I like you or want to help you out.....it's that I hope you send us more business in the future."

Really?!?