GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Shop rates are ridiculous on these cars. What's a better project for a desk jockey/non-wrencher to tackle: stock location intercooler swap, or springs and dampers (or maybe coilovers)? I've got ramps and basic tools. No air/impact. No specialty tools. No mechanic friends to bail me out. What say you, forumites? Neither? Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

megreene

Back to stupid questions, of which I've always got plenty...when paddle shifting, do you downshift when you slow for a stop, or just slow and let it automatically shift down (with shifter over to the triptonic thingy)?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Back to stupid questions, of which I've always got plenty...when paddle shifting, do you downshift when you slow for a stop, or just slow and let it automatically shift down (with shifter over to the triptonic thingy)?

Unless it's 2 -> 1, I downshift the DSG myself to approach a stop in manual mode. It can get noticeably jerky if I let it downshift itself, especially going 3 -> 2, which others have mentioned in the past. I don't really think there's harm in letting the car downshift itself, though.

Of course if there's a chance you need to get going again (e.g. Approaching a red light that turns green), downshifting helps you be in the correct gear asap

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Shop rates are ridiculous on these cars. What's a better project for a desk jockey/non-wrencher to tackle: stock location intercooler swap, or springs and dampers (or maybe coilovers)? I've got ramps and basic tools. No air/impact. No specialty tools. No mechanic friends to bail me out. What say you, forumites? Neither? Lol

I would do the intercooler swap, you don’t need a second pair of hands, it’s a long process just because of all the stuff that you have to take apart but not bad just time consuming. Suspension work it’s a different thing and you could manage yourself but a second pair of hands ( alien) will be very helpful specially when working with the front and VERY important if it is your first time, air tools are not a most with neither but they are helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted

try and find someone local on the forum to help.....it's how I did my Mustang.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Yeah I'll post in the regional section. Thanks for that.

I should also mention I recently moved (downsized) and my garage is 100% storage unit at the moment.

Sounds like the intercooler would be the way to go and do shocks and springs when you get the garage back. Bumper R&R bills out at like 1.5 hours. Never done it but with the front up on ramps, getting access to everything should be no problem.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport

I know its not everyone’s cup of tea, but if you get the Forge twintercooler, its super easy peasy. 2hrs max. So I would vote IC if going with Forge. Im sure I couldve done stock IC location but Im not that crazy about top notch performance and didnt want to spend potentially 8hrs on it. Plus I love the look of my IC.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
I know its not everyone’s cup of tea, but if you get the Forge twintercooler, its super easy peasy. 2hrs max. So I would vote IC if going with Forge. Im sure I couldve done stock IC location but Im not that crazy about top notch performance and didnt want to spend potentially 8hrs on it. Plus I love the look of my IC.

Thanks Hans! I was seriously considering this route, but then I recently pulled the trigger on an IE smic from, coincidentally enough, a Jedi(mk7). Lol

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I have a question in regards to JB1/JB4 and the car’s performance monitor for boost. Will the car’s monitor display the added boost from the juice box or not. So is whatever psi thats displayed actually higher?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks Hans! I was seriously considering this route, but then I recently pulled the trigger on an IE smic from, coincidentally enough, a Jedi(mk7). Lol

Good luck with the install! And dont forget your hydrospanner.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I have a question in regards to JB1/JB4 and the car’s performance monitor for boost. Will the car’s monitor display the added boost from the juice box or not. So is whatever psi thats displayed actually higher?

Shouldn't. JB4 is tricking your computer to increase boost while operating within limits of factory settings. You'd have to use obd2aa to see what the jb4 was actually bumping it to.

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
Just got it up enough to get the bolt in.
Then used a box end wrench to get it tight.
The torque wrench wasn't easy but doable.

Thanks, it was a bitch but I was able to get it. The 4th body screw towards the front was the hardest. The others I torqued from the top with a long extension while moving the bundle but that last one was....what a pain. Ended up tightening it with an extension/swivel adapter from the side.

BIG shout out to GTIjake for helping me out along the way. I'm good at following directions but not handy enough to fill in some of the blanks left out that more handy people would find intuitive. He took time to answer a ton of my questions. Really appreciate it!

Last issue after reinstalling everything is a rattling that accompanies throttle input. Sounds like the car version of a playing card flapping against the spokes of a bike tire, gets louder with more throttle input. Haven't had a chance to check it out yet but will take a look to see if anything is making contact with the serpentine belt. Hope its a simple fix cuz its loud and probably not good for whatever part is causing the noise lol

peacefrog_0521

Passed Driver's Ed

Kinda half and half for me; if coming to a stop after downshifting I generally just let it slow to a stop, as it will go back to "D" when it is fully stopped. If I downshift but then want to continue moving, I pull the shift lever rearward (without moving it over) to put it back in "D".

This is my first winter with a car having paddle shifters. I have really only been using them in winter driving, as I try to use engine braking to slow the car in slick conditions rather than the foot brake. I do this either when I'[m approaching a red light / stop sign, or when making a sharp turn (especially an exit ramp). On rare occasions when starting from a stop in winter, I'll upshift into 2nd to try to keep the wheels from spinning.

I had a 2008 Hyundai Sonata several years ago with a nice manual-mode floor console shifter (no paddles), and put it to good use for the same reasons. It was easy to use; just bang it over and pull rearward to downshift. I have valued having the manual-mode feature on other cars since then (and missed having it on others).

I had a 2016 Focus Titanium before I got the Golf. The Focus has a manual mode that isn't nearly as slick to use; it requires you to push the shift lever button, move the shift lever into "S", and THEN use a thumb button on the side to downshift / upshift.

Paddle shifters are not even an option on the top-trim Focus Titanium, at least not in North America. Here, they only appeared on the mid-level Focus SE, and only with the Sport package. Very hard to find one, and it's a disappointing car if you do find one, with cheap rough grey cloth seats. There was a popular mod in at least several threads on FocusFanatics.com where people would buy a European Focus steering wheel with paddle shifters, and perform a retrofit (much more involved than it sounds).

The Golf (mine's a TSI) has both paddle shifters AND a versatile and easy-to-use manual-mode floor console shifter. I would have been happy with either; I love that I have both. I do find the gear changes a bit slow (mine is not DSG) but I can easily overlook this with the ease-of-use.

So let me ask my own stupid question: When the gear is manually selected using paddle shifters or manual mode, is traction control disabled?
Also, if Sport mode is selected (by pulling the lever rearward), is traction control disabled?

Last edited: