GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Actually I just came across this answer from DV52 that has his solution via VCDS and OBDeleven:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=283925&postcount=2

I don't know if they yield the same results, and I won't be able to check until I go back to my car during my lunch break.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
I did see that post. The problem is I don't see those options in OBDII in my 2017 Golf.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
I did see that post. The problem is I don't see those options in OBDII in my 2017 Golf.

It looks like I was wrong. I think we should only check Bit 4 (which leads to the binary "10" instead of "F0") in Byte 12. That corresponds to the "10" in the VCDS instructions. I'll edit my previous post.

And like you, I don't have the options that DV52 had in the post I linked.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
It looks like I was wrong. I think we should only check Bit 4 (which leads to the binary "10" instead of "F0") in Byte 12. That corresponds to the "10" in the VCDS instructions. I'll edit my previous post.

Good point, I'll make the adjustment as well.

DV52

Drag Racing Champion

NeedSleep: Hi . Yes your amendment looks correct, but you might consider setting Byte 12 to hex12 (instead of hex10) - that way you also implement the "increased blower speed while cooling" option. This seems to be what VW does when it sets Bits 4-7 to hex10.

There is really only one niggling doubt in my (conservative) mind about implementing this tweak on cars that don't have "hot country" option in the screenshots in my instruction. That doubt is: does the newer mk7 have a wobble-plate compressor with two set-states? On older mk7s, this tweak works by changing the internal flow path in a solenoid that is located inside the compressor. This changed path has the effect of increasing the stroke of the compressor - thereby increasing its capacity. It's only possible to do this on a wobble-plate compressor that is specifically designed to have two distinct operating states - do these newer cars have this equipment?

I don't know the answer, but I'd welcome feedback as to whether this tweak works on MY17 cars - please.

Don

Last edited:

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
NeedSleep: Hi . Yes your amendment looks correct, but you might consider setting Byte 12 to hex12 (instead of hex10) - that way you also implement the "increased blower speed while cooling" option. This seems to be what VW does when it sets Bits 4-7 to hex10.

There is really only one niggling doubt in my (conservative) mind about implementing this tweak on cars that don't have "hot country" option in the screenshots in my instruction. That doubt is: does the newer mk7 have a wobble-plate compressor with two set-states? I don't know the answer, but I'd welcome feedback as to whether this tweak works on MY17 cars - please.

Don
Do you know which bit would correspond to hex 12 in OBDII?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Do you know which bit would correspond to hex 12 in OBDII?

TJN: OK - sorry, but I need to launch into a little hexadecimal maths theory.

So as you probably already know, the Bytes on these control modules are stated as what's called a "hexadecimal Pair". Hence a Byte value of hex12 is actually hex1 & hex2 (these used to be called the "upper nibble" and the "lower nibble" - Byte/nibble, get it?)

Also, and again as you probably already know, each Byte is made of 8 x Bits - so each hexadecimal number requires 4 x Bits. And, for a Byte, the Bits are read from the right side to the left side so that Bit0 is on the extreme RHS and Bit7 is on the extreme LHS. A string of Bits is called a "Binary" number

So the binary equivalent for the Byte values are as follows (remember that Bit 0 is on the extreme RHS) - I've put a space in the Bit sequence to represent each hexadecimal number. but `OBD11/VCDS doesn't do this:

Byte value =Binary value
hex00=0000 0000
hex01=0000 0001
hex02=0000 0010
hex03=0000 0011
hex10=0001 0000
hex11=0001 0001
hex12=0001 0010
hexFF=1111 1111

What's all this mean - I hear you asking? Well, in OBD11 speak and as shown above - a Byte value of hex12 is equivalent to ticking Bit 1 and Bit 4 and leaving all other Bits un-ticked.

Don

PS: If the stuff above makes sense, then the VCDS screen below should also make sense (I hope)

Last edited:

mk6-k

Ready to race!
A number of people on here do not understand the binary in Hex, but you did a great job explaining it. From a wretched old coder, lol.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
TJN: OK - sorry, but I need to launch into a little hexadecimal maths theory.

So as you probably already know, the Bytes on these control modules are stated as what's called a "hexadecimal Pair". Hence a Byte value of hex12 is actually hex1 & hex2 (these used to be called the "upper nibble" and the "lower nibble" - Byte/nibble, get it?)

Also, and again as you probably already know, each Byte is made of 8 x Bits - so each hexadecimal number requires 4 x Bits. And, for a Byte, the Bits are read from the right side to the left side so that Bit0 is on the extreme RHS and Bit7 is on the extreme LHS. A string of Bits is called a "Binary" number

So the binary equivalent for the Byte values are as follows (remember that Bit 0 is on the extreme RHS) - I've put a space in the Bit sequence to represent each hexadecimal number. but `OBD11/VCDS doesn't do this:

Byte value =Binary value
hex00=0000 0000
hex01=0000 0001
hex02=0000 0010
hex03=0000 0011
hex10=0001 0000
hex11=0001 0001
hex12=0001 0010
hexFF=1111 1111

What's all this mean - I hear you asking? Well, in OBD11 speak and as shown above - a Byte value of hex12 is equivalent to ticking Bit 1 and Bit 4 and leaving all other Bits un-ticked.

Don

PS: If the stuff above makes sense, then the VCDS screen below should also make sense (I hope)
Thanks a lot for thorough explanation! I made the update as per your recommendation. We'll see how it goes.

gtigod

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know how to set the door locks to lock via the door buttons when the doors are open? On my 2015 GTi, I can get out, close the doors and then lock via the remote, but I can't hit the button on the door and lock them.

Where do I find a chart of what all the options are that can be changed?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
So I have a build date of 8/16 MY 17 Sport and I can't change to warm climate a/c like others. I hastily changed the values for runtime and duration as to what people had on obd11 board and now my a/c doesn't "work" and I get the code thay the a/c had not been initialized. Now, if I put the dial to the defroster and have it on max a/c the ac will kick on and I can then control the ducting. But, if I turn off the blower I can't turn the ac back on unless I repeat those steps.

Besides going to the dealer what can I try? Some reset functions don't work and I wonder if it's because I don't have the correct security code. I tried all the usual ones including 20103 and nothing works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
So I have a build date of 8/16 MY 17 Sport and I can't change to warm climate a/c like others. I hastily changed the values for runtime and duration as to what people had on obd11 board and now my a/c doesn't "work" and I get the code thay the a/c had not been initialized. Now, if I put the dial to the defroster and have it on max a/c the ac will kick on and I can then control the ducting. But, if I turn off the blower I can't turn the ac back on unless I repeat those steps.

Besides going to the dealer what can I try? Some reset functions don't work and I wonder if it's because I don't have the correct security code. I tried all the usual ones including 20103 and nothing works.

Can't you revert back to what it was coding wise? Look into your history to see what got changed.

I don't have the option to hot climate under long coding either but thanks to DV52 and another member I was able manually code for hot climate and can confirm that it works after driving with it for a week. The instructions are just few posts back.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I tried and it still needs to be adapted or whatever.

Now when you coded did you use vcds or obd11?

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I'll look tomorrow. But, I don't remember seeing a way to get to the long code section like in vcds