GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

OBDELEVEN

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
DV52, you blew my mind with that setup!

Sheriff: Don't be impressed - it's really quite easy to build!!

Just go down to your local car-wrecker (not sure what these are called in you local area - salvage yard?), grab a few control modules (essential modules are the CAN Gateway and BCM). Then get yourself a pin-out diagram for the modules and some hook-up wire - and that's it!!

Nothing more than that!!

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
OMG!! I feel like such a moron. I totally forgot that they don't work with the handbrake on. After I did the coding, I turned all the lights on, and walked to the front of the car (then tested them with the light switch off to see the difference). I didn't leave the car with the handbrake down. If the menu was in English, I obviously would have realize this sooner ��
Thank you guys so much for your help!
I usually don't make dumb mistakes like that, but that's what happens when you get a new toy and are all excited about trying it.

up4speed: Excellent!! I'm always pleased when someone says problem solved!

Don

Last edited:

sadsac

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not an expert at this (obviously, lol), maybe the more experienced guys can chime in, but I'll try (out of memory) anyway.
Go to Central Electrics > (9) Daytime running lights, then click on "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO"
If set to "active" the DRL's won't come on in the off position, only the Auto position. If it is set to "not active", then the DRL's will always work, even when the headlight switch is off.

The English translation to the German setting is:

Daytime running lights only in switch position AUTO
I've tried this before and it didn't work unfortunately

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
up4speed: I wrote avery detaied set of instructions for the Auto Rain close tweak HERE. It's written for VCDS, but it's easily translatable to OBD11 speak

Don

Don,
Ok, here is the tough one for you. I went through the whole procedure again, and it STILL doesn't work. This time I even confirmed that the RLS took the code change, and took photos of everything. What could it possibly be? PLEASE HELP!!!
I REALLY want this function.

I reset all functions in the car setup menu, turned on Auto lights and left the windshield wipers one click up on Auto setting. I even took the car to Lowes to get some stuff, so it went through a few ignition cycles, then I came home and left the windows open and locked the car for about 15 minutes and it still didn't work!
I tested the wipers when the car was running and they wipe when I wet the sensor.

Attachments

• IMG_5048.JPG
    IMG_5048.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 812
  • IMG_5049.JPG
    IMG_5049.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_5050.JPG
    IMG_5050.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 877

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don/DV52 I could really use your expertise in fixing something that I am sure I have caused. Long story short on my 17 R NAV/DAP the navigation used to show me speed limits on the main navigation screen and doesn't anymore. I'm sure it's related to the fact that I coded my car for traffic sign recognition before I realized that it doesn't really work in the US. To complicate matters, my 5F module was replaced by the dealer under warranty so when i got it back TSR was only half coded. I went back in implemented the changes so it would be configured like it was before the dealer did their work. I then tried rolling back all the changes and still don't get the speed limit on the NAV screen. I also verified that the checkmark in the navigation options for traffic signs is selected. I had a look at your spreadsheets but so far I'm not finding anything that stands out. Hindsight being 20/20 I now realize I should have done a backup before I made any changes with obdeleven. Any chance you could point me in the right direction?

Hatch: Hmm....... number of interacting confounders - I agree!

First suggestion - try checking the code-string on your new 5F module
The Traffic Sign Display (not to be confused with "traffic sign recognition") facility is called VZA by the boffins @VW and it is activated (or not) in Byte 24, Bit 6 on the 5F module. But the electronic switch is also accessible in the long coding screen shown below - make sure your 5F module says "activated"

Don

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don,
Ok, here is the tough one for you. I went through the whole procedure again, and it STILL doesn't work. This time I even confirmed that the RLS took the code change, and took photos of everything. What could it possibly be? PLEASE HELP!!!
I REALLY want this function.

I reset all functions in the car setup menu, turned on Auto lights and left the windshield wipers one click up on Auto setting. I even took the car to Lowes to get some stuff, so it went through a few ignition cycles, then I came home and left the windows open and locked the car for about 15 minutes and it still didn't work!
I tested the wipers when the car was running and they wipe when I wet the sensor.

up4speed: I've been posting on forums for quite awhile now, and this tweak has to be the most problematic in my experience.

Your settings look OK - but as I said in my first response, lots of folk can't make it work - many of those who can't make it work have the RLS sensor (as opposed to the RLHS, or RLFS), but the problems aren't restricted to this type sensor alone.

I've been considering starting a counseling thread for those in your position (just kidding) -but my only advice is to forget the tweak until someone figures-out the real reason for the problem.

Don

H22hatch

Ready to race!

The Traffic Sign Display (not to be confused with "traffic sign recognition") facility is called VZA by the boffins @VW and it is activated (or not) in Byte 24, Bit 6 on the 5F module. But the electronic switch is also accessible in the long coding screen shown below - make sure your 5F module says "activated"

Don

Thanks Don I will take a look but I'm fairly certain thatbwhennonbacked everything out that I ticked that box as active based on your one of your thr ads on the rosstech forums. I feel like I recall seeing VZA somewhere under module 17 so I'll go back and look there as well. I also recall seeing something about road sign fusion. Know anything about that setting?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
up4speed: I've been posting on forums for quite awhile now, and this tweak has to be the most problematic in my experience.

Your settings look OK - but as I said in my first response, lots of folk can't make it work - many of those who can't make it work have the RLS sensor (as opposed to the RLHS, or RLFS), but the problems aren't restricted to this type sensor alone.

I've been considering starting a counseling thread for those in your position (just kidding) -but my only advice is to forget the tweak until someone figures-out the real reason for the problem.

Don

Don,
Thanks again for helping me with all the successful coding that I've done so far, and of course for also battling with the rain sensor coding. I truly appreciate it!
At this point, I'm going to just put the rain sensor coding back to stock unless I hear any new dicovery that might make it work.

The last change I want to make (for now) is the removal of the NAR restriction for the lights. I'm waiting to have access to my lift so I can get the car perfectly level before I do the coding for that, so I can properly do the reset for the error that will pop up.
If you don't mind, can you confirm the change that NAR coding will make?
From what I understand, the turning lights will still work while using the fog lights, and the headlights raise slightly at high speeds. Is there any other benefit that I missed?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Don,
Thanks again for helping me with all the successful coding that I've done so far, and of course for also battling with the rain sensor coding. I truly appreciate it!
At this point, I'm going to just put the rain sensor coding back to stock unless I hear any new dicovery that might make it work.

The last change I want to make (for now) is the removal of the NAR restriction for the lights. I'm waiting to have access to my lift so I can get the car perfectly level before I do the coding for that, so I can properly do the reset for the error that will pop up.
If you don't mind, can you confirm the change that NAR coding will make?
From what I understand, the turning lights will still work while using the fog lights, and the headlights raise slightly at high speeds. Is there any other benefit that I missed?

upforspeed: Alas we don't get many NAR vehicles down here in Australia and we get even less NAR cars with HID fittings - so my experience with this tweak is limited! You are probably better advised by one of your compatriots

H22hatch

Ready to race!

Don

Don, I got it!! The problem was the traffic sign recognition over threshold setting. That one wasn't included in the original instructions for how to code it however I saw it while coding set it to match with all the other settings. I unticked that and now I've got my speed limit back on the navigation screen.

Now I only have one problem left. The 5F module constantly gives me an error indicating that it is coded incorrectly. However everything appears to work correctly. I guess that means today I will be pouring over your 5F module spreadsheet to hopefully find the discrepancy.

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm not an expert at this (obviously, lol), maybe the more experienced guys can chime in, but I'll try (out of memory) anyway.
Go to Central Electrics > (9) Daytime running lights, then click on "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO"
If set to "active" the DRL's won't come on in the off position, only the Auto position. If it is set to "not active", then the DRL's will always work, even when the headlight switch is off.

The English translation to the German setting is:

Daytime running lights only in switch position AUTO

Thanks for the info, tried it tonight and it didn't work it basically just switched them off completely. [emoji18]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks for the info, tried it tonight and it didn't work it basically just switched them off completely. [emoji18]

Oh boy, sorry :(
That's all I know. I can't help much because I'm a beginner at this stuff too.

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh boy, sorry :(
That's all I know. I can't help much because I'm a beginner at this stuff too.

Lol , it's not the end of the world, but this obd is the best £50 I have ever spent there is so much stuff on it. I bought it just to basically do my rear brakes and prime fuel system. So far I have done gauge sweep and turned off seatbelt warning .[emoji1303]

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Sorry to interrupt, could you please show me the steps on how to turn on DRLs so that they are on when headlights are on the same as the off position. I have an OBD but no really sure where the setting is.
Thanks barry[emoji1303]

Baz: Not sure that I understand what your asking. Can you repeat your request with different words please?

Are you simply asking to increase the illumination level of the DRL lamps when the headlights are switched on? What type of headlight fittings do you have (Halogen, or HID)?

Don

JDMGolfR

Ready to race!
Baz: Not sure that I understand what your asking. Can you repeat your request with different words please?

Are you simply asking to increase the illumination level of the DRL lamps when the headlights are switched on? What type of headlight fittings do you have (Halogen, or HID)?

Don

different regions seem to have different settings. In Japan DRLs are off as standard and only come on with the main lights.

I *think* maybe in his case the DRLs turn off when the main lights are on? (opposite to here in Japan) and he would like them to be on with the main lights on?