up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
See responses embedded in your post

Don

Don,
Thanks for the thorough response.
If it doesn't matter when the car is checked for the memory module, then I guess that I don't have it because the OBD11 reading said 255% when I checked it. I think I'll pass on doing the mirror dip mod then.

The DRL issue is strange because I checked the coding and the item already said "not active" for the function "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO" that you mentioned. Apparently the App didn't change it. Any other ideas?

Should I maybe make it "active", then save it. Then make it "not active" and save it again?

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
One more question.....
I like the idea of the rain sensing window close mod. Am I correct to assume that it doesn't do anything if the car is being driven (since the driver can close their open windows), and that it closes the windows if rain is sensed when it's parked?
If so, I have to imagine if that it would mean that the sensor is receiving power all of the time waiting to detect rain. Correct?
If my assumptions are correct, how does it affect the car battery life? What kind of drain does it put on the battery? will it affect the battery if the car is left for 3 weeks?

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
The DRL issue is strange because I checked the coding and the item already said "not active" for the function "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO" that you mentioned. Apparently the App didn't change it. Any other ideas?

Should I maybe make it "active", then save it. Then make it "not active" and save it again?

up4speed: Not possible! if you have implemented the App, that adaptation channel MUST be set to "active"

Please post-up the History file entries for the App

Don

Raegar

Ready to race!
I used the App for that. I don't mind too much because I leave it on "Auto" anyway, so the DRL's are on. I just wanted to know how it was stock, and also if other people that used the App had the same results as me.

Stock behavior is as follows:

Car is turned on and running, DRL's are switched ON. When left or right turn signal is activated, the DRL will turn OFF for the respective side until turn signal is deactivated.

The code change can be done in one of two ways (well, technically there's a couple more but...): [1] It enables the DRL's to stay ON and at their default light strength as they are normally, regardless of whether turn signal is active or not - which is the most popular one. Or [2] it does exactly what one did with the additional change that instead of DRL staying at full strength, it dims a little - which is, I believe, what you've attempted.

Then there's a change that makes the DRL act as a turn signal synchronously blinking alongside the turn signal. And lastly, the same as the last one but asynchronously (alternating).

In addition to all of the above, there's another completely different change that just adds the ability to turn ON or OFF the DRL's from the center console but going to your Light settings. I'd recommend this - not that you'll often have need for turning DRL's off...but its nice to have the option there =)

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
One more question.....
I like the idea of the rain sensing window close mod. Am I correct to assume that it doesn't do anything if the car is being driven (since the driver can close their open windows), and that it closes the windows if rain is sensed when it's parked?
If so, I have to imagine if that it would mean that the sensor is receiving power all of the time waiting to detect rain. Correct?
If my assumptions are correct, how does it affect the car battery life? What kind of drain does it put on the battery? will it affect the battery if the car is left for 3 weeks?

up4speed: Auto rainclose is one of the more problematic tweaks to get to work. If you google, you will finds lots of folk that can't get it to work but there are also many who have successfully implemented the tweak. There appears to be no reason why, but this is the case!`

So what happens if you implement the tweak is that the function only operates when the ignition is off. If you leave the car and you don't access the ignition within a 24 hour period (or there hereabouts), the car is locked automatically and all the windows (including the sun roof) are closed automatically regardless of the fact that there is no rain. The car then goes to sleep to conserve battery capacity.

Don`

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
up4speed: Not possible! if you have implemented the App, that adaptation channel MUST be set to "active"

Please post-up the History file entries for the App

Don

Here is the info (it's the last one on the list). The DRL's work perfectly in that they work on "Auto" mode and they dim when the blinker is used (used the APP to select the DIMM setting). However, the DRL's don't come on if the light switch is off. If you look at the photo, from what I've been told, with this setting, they should work when the light switch is off.

Attachments

• IMG_5041.JPG
    IMG_5041.JPG
    103.1 KB · Views: 682
Last edited:

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
:mad:
up4speed: Auto rainclose is one of the more problematic tweaks to get to work. If you google, you will finds lots of folk that can't get it to work but there are also many who have successfully implemented the tweak. There appears to be no reason why, but this is the case!`

So what happens if you implement the tweak is that the function only operates when the ignition is off. If you leave the car and you don't access the ignition within a 24 hour period (or there hereabouts), the car is locked automatically and all the windows (including the sun roof) are closed automatically regardless of the fact that there is no rain. The car then goes to sleep to conserve battery capacity.

Don`

Don, thanks again for all of the in depth info!
Unfortunately, my car is one of the cars that wont take the setting :mad:
I followed the directions step by step. I changed the adaptations, then the coding on the 2 items, then I reset all of the car settings and made sure that the lights were on Auto, and the wipers were one click up. I got out and locked the doors, and NOTHING! GRRRR.
I also cycled everything and started the car, wet the sensor to make the wipers wipe the window. Then parked it and locked it, and tried again. NOTHING again...oh well. I then reversed all of the coding until I figure out what I could have possibly done wrong.
Do you think I didn't wait long enough to try it? I locked the car and waited about 3 or 4 minutes until the car fully fell asleep and wasn't making any noises (namely the turbo cooling pump) after driving it.
After reading one of your older posts, I'm guessing that my issue is either the RLS communication issue old vs. new, or a software issue because I'm using OBD Eleven instead of VCDS.
Is there accurate and successful instructions that I can use with OBD Eleven?

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Here is the info (it's the last one on the list). The DRL's work perfectly in that they work on "Auto" mode and they dim when the blinker is used (used the APP to select the DIMM setting). However, the DRL's don't come on if the light switch is off. If you look at the photo, from what I've been told, with this setting, they should work when the light switch is off.

up4speed: not sure if you are aware, but I've introduced my "Test-Bench" a couple of times before - it's my virtual mk7 and it's made-up from a number of key modules and it contains a simulated headlight/taillight board which i've shown separately in the picture below

Anyhow, the reason that I'm telling you this is because I programmed my test-bench with exactly the settings shown in your picture and the DRLs worked OK - both with the switch on O and AUTO. Incidentally, you have the DRLs set-up to not operate when the handbrake is applied, but I assume this is not the cause of your problem (i.e. I assume that the hand brake wasn't applied when you tested the DRLs)

So -this tells me that the problem is elsewhere. How about posting up your history file ? If you don't know how to do this - here's the process:

Last edited:

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
:mad:

Don, thanks again for all of the in depth info!
Unfortunately, my car is one of the cars that wont take the setting :mad:
I followed the directions step by step. I changed the adaptations, then the coding on the 2 items, then I reset all of the car settings and made sure that the lights were on Auto, and the wipers were one click up. I got out and locked the doors, and NOTHING! GRRRR.
I also cycled everything and started the car, wet the sensor to make the wipers wipe the window. Then parked it and locked it, and tried again. NOTHING again...oh well. I then reversed all of the coding until I figure out what I could have possibly done wrong.
Do you think I didn't wait long enough to try it? I locked the car and waited about 3 or 4 minutes until the car fully fell asleep and wasn't making any noises (namely the turbo cooling pump) after driving it.
After reading one of your older posts, I'm guessing that my issue is either the RLS communication issue old vs. new, or a software issue because I'm using OBD Eleven instead of VCDS.
Is there accurate and successful instructions that I can use with OBD Eleven?

up4speed: I wrote avery detaied set of instructions for the Auto Rain close tweak HERE. It's written for VCDS, but it's easily translatable to OBD11 speak

Don

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
up4speed: not sure if you are aware, but I've introduced my "Test-Bench" a couple of times before - it's my virtual mk7 and it's made-up from a number of key modules and it contains a simulated headlight/taillight board which i've shown separately in the picture below

Anyhow, the reason that I'm telling you this is because I programmed my test-bench with exactly the settings shown in your picture and the DRLs worked OK - both with the switch on O and AUTO. Incidentally, you have the DRLs set-up to not operate when the handbrake is applied, but I assume this is not the cause of your problem (i.e. I assume that the hand brake wasn't applied when you tested the DRLs)

So -this tells me that the problem is elsewhere. How about posting up your history file ? If you don't know how to do this - here's the process:

OMG!! I feel like such a moron. I totally forgot that they don't work with the handbrake on. After I did the coding, I turned all the lights on, and walked to the front of the car (then tested them with the light switch off to see the difference). I didn't leave the car with the handbrake down. If the menu was in English, I obviously would have realize this sooner ��
Thank you guys so much for your help!
I usually don't make dumb mistakes like that, but that's what happens when you get a new toy and are all excited about trying it.

Last edited:

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
up4speed: I wrote avery detaied set of instructions for the Auto Rain close tweak HERE. It's written for VCDS, but it's easily translatable to OBD11 speak

Don

The directions I followed parallel exactly what your instructions say, the only difference is I didn't know to check the coding in the box to make sure it changed/matched. I'm going to have to figure that out. I may have to input the coding manually as you mentioned. Instead of just relying on ticking the boxes. I will hook up to OBD 11 again and take a look at it when I get a chance.
Hopefully I'm not making a silly mistake like I did with the DRL situation. But I don't think I did because I followed step-by-step exactly how to prepare the car before testing it.

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Don/DV52 I could really use your expertise in fixing something that I am sure I have caused. Long story short on my 17 R NAV/DAP the navigation used to show me speed limits on the main navigation screen and doesn't anymore. I'm sure it's related to the fact that I coded my car for traffic sign recognition before I realized that it doesn't really work in the US. To complicate matters, my 5F module was replaced by the dealer under warranty so when i got it back TSR was only half coded. I went back in implemented the changes so it would be configured like it was before the dealer did their work. I then tried rolling back all the changes and still don't get the speed limit on the NAV screen. I also verified that the checkmark in the navigation options for traffic signs is selected. I had a look at your spreadsheets but so far I'm not finding anything that stands out. Hindsight being 20/20 I now realize I should have done a backup before I made any changes with obdeleven. Any chance you could point me in the right direction?

BAZ3713

Passed Driver's Ed

Sorry to interrupt, could you please show me the steps on how to turn on DRLs so that they are on when headlights are on the same as the off position. I have an OBD but no really sure where the setting is.
Thanks barry[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

up4speed

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Sorry to interrupt, could you please show me the steps on how to turn on DRLs so that they are on when headlights are on the same as the off position. I have an OBD but no really sure where the setting is.
Thanks barry[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not an expert at this (obviously, lol), maybe the more experienced guys can chime in, but I'll try (out of memory) anyway.
Go to Central Electrics > (9) Daytime running lights, then click on "Tagfahrlicht nur in Schalterstellung AUTO"
If set to "active" the DRL's won't come on in the off position, only the Auto position. If it is set to "not active", then the DRL's will always work, even when the headlight switch is off.

The English translation to the German setting is:

Daytime running lights only in switch position AUTO