GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Improvement to the 2x4 method of installing lowering spring.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
There is no DIY posted for an MK7 using a 2x4 that I know of but there are bits around the web on how to do this but it is super simple, just follow the DIY's already available and instead of taking any bolts off except for the pitch bolt and the sway bar links this is a good video if you are doing this on jack stands but like I said instead of taking extra stuff off use the 2x4 http://youtu.be/1_U87nwIr8M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seblep

There is no DIY posted for an MK7 using a 2x4 that I know of but there are bits around the web on how to do this but it is super simple, just follow the DIY's already available and instead of taking any bolts off except for the pitch bolt and the sway bar links this is a good video if you are doing this on jack stands but like I said instead of taking extra stuff off use the 2x4 http://youtu.be/1_U87nwIr8M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I couldn't figure it out but with OPs photo and that little video it seems way too easy now.

1. Remove pinch bolt
2. Remove sway link bolt
3. Put 2x4 on bottom of strut plate and bolt the 2x4 to sway link bolt hole
4. Jack up the 2x4 to let the strut out

Q1. How hard is the force required with the jack... Meaning do I need to open up the spindle beforehand to help the strut out or just the jack is enough to force it out?

Q2. Likewise, how hard is it to allign the strut back in place and do you guy lub the strut before lowering the jack/strut into place?

Thanks guys!
Btw I might film a "DIY 2x4 way" but i'll do the mod some time this may.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks! I couldn't figure it out but with OPs photo and that little video it seems way too easy now.

1. Remove pinch bolt
2. Remove sway link bolt
3. Put 2x4 on bottom of strut plate and bolt the 2x4 to sway link bolt hole
4. Jack up the 2x4 to let the strut out

Q1. How hard is the force required with the jack... Meaning do I need to open up the spindle beforehand to help the strut out or just the jack is enough to force it out?

Q2. Likewise, how hard is it to allign the strut back in place and do you guy lub the strut before lowering the jack/strut into place?

Thanks guys!
Btw I might film a "DIY 2x4 way" but i'll do the mod some time this may.

Forum member George Ab just posted this link that will explain it better
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113050&postcount=8
Have a friend help you, it's a bitch if you do it by yourself, you will leave the strut top connected to the body until the strut is out of the spindle, you will need to place the spreader tool to be able to open the spindle a bit once you do that you will push the 2x4 with the jack very slowly as the spring compresses you will work the strut out of the spindle.

seblep

Forum member George Ab just posted this link that will explain it better
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=113050&postcount=8
Have a friend help you, it's a bitch if you do it by yourself, you will leave the strut top connected to the body until the strut is out of the spindle, you will need to place the spreader tool to be able to open the spindle a bit once you do that you will push the 2x4 with the jack very slowly as the spring compresses you will work the strut out of the spindle.

Perfect thanks!

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
I used some large cable ties from harbor freight to hold the 2x4 in place. Worked well.

But this is better. Well done OP for thinking out the box !!!!

To DIY'ers don't forget to disconnect the light leveler when doing the rears, (if you have the lighting package or an A3) otherwise you'll snap that mofo when the spring unloads.

Also mark up both parts of the rubber strut mounts with a white mark,(top & bottom) so that you line it up exactly the same way when you put it back together. I didn't and had to pull one out again, cos it was creaking.

Last edited:

Calum.

Passed Driver's Ed
Noob question time...

What keeps the knuckle from rising with the strut? Or is it just that the you're compressing the spring and allowing the knuckel to fall away from the strut under it's own weight, as the spindle pinch bolt is removed and the pinch is spread open?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Noob question time...

What keeps the knuckle from rising with the strut? Or is it just that the you're compressing the spring and allowing the knuckel to fall away from the strut under it's own weight, as the spindle pinch bolt is removed and the pinch is spread open?

When you remove the bolt & open the spindle up (with the strut spreader)....that unclamps the strut & makes it free.
Then you're just "lifting"/jacking the strut up out of the spindle by compressing the spring/strut with the jack & 2x4

rodon

Passed Driver's Ed
Does anyone know if this will work for installing coilovers? Obviously it will be fine for removing the stock struts, but what about putting the new ones in? I'm getting ready to stick Bilstein B14 kits in two cars (mine and my son's).

BTW - shout out to EuroCode Tuning for a great price and quick shipping on the Bilsteins.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Yes, it'll work perfectly for removing the OEM struts

The new Bilsteins should drop right in though (spin them all the day down before installing, if you want, for peace of mind), you won't need to compress or use this method