GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurodyne Updates

MrConflicted

Passed Driver's Ed
I live in Salt Lake (4400ft, with DA regularly 7500 in the summer). I'm IS38 on the Eurodyne IS38 adjustable file, boost set at 28psi and octane at 90.

Doing a 3rd gear pull only netted at peak boost pressure of 19psi (33.7 absolute), tapering to 15. This seems low, even considering the altitude. Waste gate is not even closed to maxed (~45%), and turbo is hitting specified targets.

Is the adjustable file really the conservative or something else happening? Everything I've read indicates I should be boosting MORE in the summer, but I'm boosting less. (Saw ~21 psi in the winter).

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Knock is going to be fierce at that DA and heat. I'd say 19 psi is probably all you'd want given the conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arac

Ready to race!
I accidentally logged two runs as .mstr files instead of .csv and I'd like to view them with LogViewer V5, but I can't seem to make it work. Any tips?

Also, what units are charge pressure actual and specified measured in?

Thanks

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Log looks pretty clean. Why do you have your octane set to 90 and boost to 28 though? Pretty safe to say that you won't see 28psi when using 90 octane fuel

Last edited:

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Why should octane affect boost? Isn't it just for timing?

It has to do with knock resistance, pre-ignition resistance, and combustion speed of the fuel. The ECU works to keep various values within specified ranges. Generally speaking, it won't allow the engine to do anything outside of the safety margin.

Also, the ECU will only allow the turbo to make as much boost is needed to meet a specific torque target. Doesn't matter if it takes 10psi or 20psi, the ECU doesn't care as long as it doesn't make more than necessary.

You also have to take the altitude into account. The turbo has to work much harder at altitude. This means that it needs to spin faster to try and get enough air in and compress it. The ECU will only allow the turbine to spin so fast before it limits it for safety.

Higher octane fuel is more resistant to pre-ignition, which is why you can use more boost with high octane fuels. There is less risk of it combusting early. Higher octane fuel can be compressed more and with less risk. The ECU knows this and will adjust timing and boost as necessary. Forced induction engines love high octane fuel for that reason, and our engines are no exception.

One other thing to remember is that the adjustable boost setting only specifies the max boost that can be made. It's not a guarantee of what will be made.

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Any IS20 guys still out there lol? If so, what settings are you running for 93 octane gas?

Start at 93oct and 22psi. Take a couple of logs and if they look clean then increase the boost setting to 23 or 24, then take some more logs. Rinse and repeat as necessary. I wouldn't go over 26psi on an IS20.

I have an IS20 running E40 and set to 97oct and 25psi. My engine seemed to like 25psi better than 26psi. Feels a little more responsive

Arac

Ready to race!
Actual is kPA.

Thanks, that's what I was guessing - but then what is specified? I'm peaking at 230.9, but at that time the specified is 1871.

BTW, 230.9 kPA is 33.5psi, which seems awfully high to me. I've seen 255.9, which converts to 37 psi. I am guessing this must be absolute pressure.

This is on Eurodyne 91 octane Stage 1

Last edited: