GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to - Install a Dash Cam and Wire it to Power on with the Car

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
To connect the ground lead to the 12v adapter I used a butt connector. The blue size fit this. You need a wire crimper and stripper in order to connect the wires.

To connect the wire to the grounded bolt I used this crimp connector.

You mean the hot lead/wire. Just mentioning to not confuse other people.

Harrison

Passed Driver's Ed
How did you route the cable to get from the roof lining across to the inside of the door?

My main fuse box is behind the glove compartment rather than the driver side but there's an airbag lock so looks like I'll have to wire mine to the drivers side. Would be interested to hear how UK folks have done theirs.

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
Just want to add one thing to this. Just completed the install myself. MAKE SURE you get the smaller bladed add-in circuit and not the full sized one.. I went ahead and ordered any old add-in circuit and it was the too big one... Then i went down to Autozone to correct my mistake, and they had two different smaller add in circuits, but not the one we need. I then went to advance auto and luckily for me, they had the correct add-in circuit.. So if you've got time to wait for delivery, get the one in the link.. I was impatient and went with Prime, and it turned up being the wrong one.. Then had to search around town for the correct one.

Other than that little boo boo, it's a very simple install. I managed to completely hide all wires, just by playing with the plastics a little.

One other little tip is before you bother to cable tie everything back up, install the drawer first, leaving the side panel out.. Space is a little restrictive in there, so best have the drawer in the closed position, before deciding on a final resting location for the charger and adapter.

Also if anyone is looking for a decent Dashcam, for not a lot of money. Costco have one on special for a few more days $85. Cobra CDR840, fits nicely behind the rear view mirror, for an invisible and auto install.

Finally big thanks to the OP !!! Thanks dude, you took all the guess work out of it for us all....

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
How did you route the cable to get from the roof lining across to the inside of the door?

My main fuse box is behind the glove compartment rather than the driver side but there's an airbag lock so looks like I'll have to wire mine to the drivers side. Would be interested to hear how UK folks have done theirs.

Can't see how it would be any different on a RHD. Just run the cable at the top of the liner, down the pillar, behind the rubber, and instead of having to take out the small drawer, remove the glove compartment. Got to be the same side panel i'd imagine.

Harrison

Passed Driver's Ed
Can't see how it would be any different on a RHD. Just run the cable at the top of the liner, down the pillar, behind the rubber, and instead of having to take out the small drawer, remove the glove compartment. Got to be the same side panel i'd imagine.

How did you route the cable down the A pillar?

Do you have an airbag lock on the passenger side panel or did you route it to drivers side?

Cheers

TheDoc46

Ready to race!
How did you route the cable down the A pillar?

Do you have an airbag lock on the passenger side panel or did you route it to drivers side?

Cheers

I just pulled it out slightly so it was loose enough to fit the cable in, then put it in the rubber seal all the way down til the plastic sides, which i pulled out enough to get it in to where the side panel is.

The entire wire is concealed. I was expecting more of a challenge TBH. It was a very simple concealment.

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
Just want to add one thing to this. Just completed the install myself. MAKE SURE you get the smaller bladed add-in circuit and not the full sized one.. I went ahead and ordered any old add-in circuit and it was the too big one... Then i went down to Autozone to correct my mistake, and they had two different smaller add in circuits, but not the one we need. I then went to advance auto and luckily for me, they had the correct add-in circuit.. So if you've got time to wait for delivery, get the one in the link.. I was impatient and went with Prime, and it turned up being the wrong one.. Then had to search around town for the correct one.

Other than that little boo boo, it's a very simple install. I managed to completely hide all wires, just by playing with the plastics a little.

One other little tip is before you bother to cable tie everything back up, install the drawer first, leaving the side panel out.. Space is a little restrictive in there, so best have the drawer in the closed position, before deciding on a final resting location for the charger and adapter.

Also if anyone is looking for a decent Dashcam, for not a lot of money. Costco have one on special for a few more days $85. Cobra CDR840, fits nicely behind the rear view mirror, for an invisible and auto install.

Finally big thanks to the OP !!! Thanks dude, you took all the guess work out of it for us all....

Very very happy to help. :) I love doing stuff like this. Basically every wire in my car is concealed. I just don't like stuff hanging around all willy nilly.

Harrison

Passed Driver's Ed
Installed my dashcam on the driver's side mirror (sensors on passenger's side). Ran the wire along the roof, down the A pillar and into the fuse box on the passenger side.

Problem: No DAB signal... anyone experienced similar?

IanT

A word of warning (from experience!). You can wire in via the passenger side, but be careful if you think unplugging the airbag key switch will give you a bit more room. If you turn the ignition on (just to check it all works) before you plug it back in you will throw up a fault code. Then you need to find a friendly technician to re-set the code. Just saying....:eek:

marcg611

Ready to race!
Thanks OP for Posting. So I Removed the drawer door/fuse panel cover to install beltronics hardwire cord and discovered the center support tab was mangled by VW line installer or Robot? Its a 16 GTI PP just bought last weekend, I bought out of state so hopefully I can go to local VW service and have them order a new door? uploadfromtaptalk1440604404334.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Thanks OP for Posting. So I Removed the drawer door/fuse panel cover to install beltronics hardwire cord and discovered the center support tab was mangled by VW line installer or Robot? Its a 16 GTI PP just bought last weekend, I bought out of state so hopefully I can go to local VW service and have them order a new door? View attachment 6366

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

go to your dealer and have them fix it (order a new one) it may not be in stock so.

brettg

Passed Driver's Ed
Many thanks to the OP for this. Do you have to buy an extra fuse to do this?

santacruzjc

Thanks for the write up OP,
what if you wanted to install 2 cameras? currently I have 1 in front behind the rearview and a second one on the back window, connected to the power outlet in the back, but want to get rid of all the cables, would this setup be able to power both or do I need to tap into another fuse?

SomethingNew71

TDI Pro
Car(s)
2009 JSW TDI
I honestly dont see why not although the better way would be to tap into two fuses I think. Isolates the devices so if one has a problem it doesn't screw up the other.