GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf GTD estate announced

pjr

Ready to race!
Just noticed on the Facebook page of my VW dealer, that VW have announced the launch of a GTD estate - seems to be same spec as the current hatch.

Apparently launches in the summer along with the Golf R estate.

Can't say I'm surprised, and I'm sure it will sell very well.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Really - I don't agree with that - seems like a weird spec (for UK) to me! Fast estates best left to Audi....

redbutcher

Ready to race!
I like it :).

James75

Go Kart Champion
I'd rather have a Octavia VRS estate.

Good point

That applies to the hatch as well but I know what you mean, the Octavia Estate is well thought of.

I like it.

VW have to launch it - Ford have just launched the ST Diesel or if you like the STD and an estate one.

Fast estates are associated with Audi and that's probably why manufacturers like VW want some of that image.

I'd be tempted by one.

James

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I like the VW UK info on it...................

So it has the same -15mm sports suspension as mine, sports seats like mine, no alcantara unless you pay, bi-xeneons like mine, but no mention of LED DRLs,

Basically "aesthetic trim", changes...............the only thing that looks standard which is not available on the GT estate is "progressive steering", but whether this is the full montey or not I don't know.

Also the engine is the 2lt 184PS/380Nm...................the standard 2lt 150PS/320Nm can be easily chipped to the same power outputs...........

It would have been better for them to offer it in 4WD...........I know the R estate is out in the summer but they should have made the GTD the diesel version of that!...........Not continue the hatch GTD which is the diesel version of the GTI as they will be no GTI version in the estate!.

VW idiots they missed a trick there............4WD & diesel engine..................doh!

ihmix

Ready to race!
I like the look of it but don't fully understand VW's idea on this. Surely we have a great model in the Passat which does this job very well and has a good reputation, this just seems like VW being a touch greedy and shoe horning another model in where they don't need one. IMO

James75

Go Kart Champion
GolfDave - Golf Alltrack Estate will give you 4wd and the GTD engine.

In my opinion the GTD is much better value than the GT particularly if you're a private buyer.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris43

Go Kart Champion
I doubt the GTD estate will handle as well as the hatchback GTD, the extra weight around the rear end must increase body roll and subsequently the risk of oversteer. I'd be surprised if VW spent time and money re configuring the rear suspension setup for what is likely to be a niche product.

James75

Go Kart Champion
Niche products are the order of the day. That's why there will be a Golf CC. Buyers these days want diversity and choice within the range. I think it will have a lot of appeal. The only thing I'd say is that we're now clearly in the realms of 30k Golfs, I wonder how that will play out.

I go back to the point made earlier, I'd probably take it the Octavia VRs diesel. It might be noted that Skoda sells a lot of these estates. Plus you can have them in yellow as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk