GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty 101: Warranty and You - TD1, recalls, updates, Magnuson Moss, etc...

jdennett

Passed Driver's Ed
Great thread, QQ. Would the VW dealer be able to pick up Plug and play eg JB1?

If you remove it, they shouldn't be able to detect it. From what I remember reading they could be able to detect that things were out of spec (ie 18 psi of boost requested, 22 received)

EVOX_SPEED3

Passed Driver's Ed
Was told no...

Already tried to go that route, unfortunately, i can't find the email stating why it wouldn't work. I'm not sure if it was Eurodyne, or Unitronic that sent it to me. But basically, the VIN of the Ecu has to be assigned for a specific car, and you can't just get another ECU without VW assigning it to your VIN.

My plan was to remove my current ECU and save that for when i come in for repairs, recalls, ETC...and use the NEW ECU to load the a tune, and swap between the two.

Does anybody know if ECUs have VIN specific data? Would my idea work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vwgtidude

Ready to race!
I really want my fuel tank recalled. The gauges are not accurate. I filled the gas tank up and the pointer does not reach full. I drive it for an hour, the gas tank shows one bar down. I have to call VW and complain. Anyone else has this problem?

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I really want my fuel tank recalled. The gauges are not accurate. I filled the gas tank up and the pointer does not reach full. I drive it for an hour, the gas tank shows one bar down. I have to call VW and complain. Anyone else has this problem?

Have you considered the fact that when you're at the pumps, the fuel cut-off is being prematurely activated by the way you have the fuel filler nozzle inserted?

Perhaps your needle does not reach full because your tank is not actually full? And it appears to go down a bar after you have been driving because when you drive you burn fuel?

Just a thought.

Stage2Sasquatch

Go Kart Champion
Have you considered the fact that when you're at the pumps, the fuel cut-off is being prematurely activated by the way you have the fuel filler nozzle inserted?

Perhaps your needle does not reach full because your tank is not actually full? And it appears to go down a bar after you have been driving because when you drive you burn fuel?

Just a thought.

This is the more likely scenerio.

J.Nerdy

Passed Driver's Ed

Just a thought.

This is the more likely scenerio.

A more accurate accounting can be made by simply resetting your trip odo, and coming close to fuming your tank.

This will let you know (based on your avg consumption) whether or not the gauge is way off.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
you have over 2 gallon reserve when there are a reported 0 miles left. I like that

BigDan

Go Kart Newbie
Here is what I've done to get around the Warranty issue with my Tuned car. (Not that I have any problem with my tune.) Bought a third party repair maintenance agreement. Take it to the dealer if they deny your claim let the maintenance agreement take over. I doubt the dealership or mechanic will tell on you by telling them that your car is tuned and take money out of their pocket. Your thoughts!?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
So I thought I'd come back and give another update since there was some debate about this. We have an outside detail company that does all of our sales cars, they work out of our dealership. One of them has a 2015 S3 that just blew a turbo with a couple thousand miles on his car. It's chipped with a downpipe. He towed it back to the shop that chipped his car and they reflashed it back to stock... not stock mode, STOCK. Then he had it towed over to us. The deal was if the scan tool couldn't detect that it was chipped we'd warranty the turbo because there would be no risk of or reason for Audi to deny the claim. It detected that it was chipped immediately. He's looking at about $3,000 for repairs.

Has others experienced this? I have an appointment for a APR Staged 1 tomorrow on my 2016 DSG but I'm having second thoughts after reading this.

Last edited:

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
Here is what I've done to get around the Warranty issue with my Tuned car. (Not that I have any problem with my tune.) Bought a third party repair maintenance agreement. Take it to the dealer if they deny your claim let the maintenance agreement take over. I doubt the dealership or mechanic will tell on you by telling them that your car is tuned and take money out of their pocket. Your thoughts!?
Definitely a promising plan especially if you have a good relationship with your service dept

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Has others experienced this? I have an appointment for a APR Staged 1 tomorrow on my 2016 DSG but I'm having second thoughts after reading this.

I don't have personal experience, since my car is stock.
But, as a guy who started on the MK6 forum and has seen a lot of posts on this over the years, what I have heard is that the reflash to stock mode is still detectable.
How that is dealt with by the dealer is essentially up to the dealer.
If I were to tune my car (something I toss around in my head) I would be sure that I had a tune friendly dealer within reach for piece of mind.
Matter of fact, the dealer I got my car from happens to be mod friendly, and tunes the cars in house.

SpeedieGTI

Go Kart Champion
I will say it again. Having a mod friendly dealer is the key!