GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Show Us Your Intake!

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed

I just ordered one off of eBay to add to my intake setup.

I like the OEM+ approach and I chose the Autotech intake because they dyno'd a 9hp gain, and a vortexer dyno'd it himself and confirmed their claim.
This puts it in the ballpark with every other intake. I got it during the Black Friday sale for about $150, which made it a very good hp/$ as far as intakes go.

My car came with the ECS silicone intake tube, which I kept because of its flexibility.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
I just ordered one off of eBay to add to my intake setup.

I like the OEM+ approach and I chose the Autotech intake because they dyno'd a 9hp gain, and a vortexer dyno'd it himself and confirmed their claim.
This puts it in the ballpark with every other intake. I got it during the Black Friday sale for about $150, which made it a very good hp/$ as far as intakes go.

My car came with the ECS silicone intake tube, which I kept because of its flexibility.

Keep an eye on your sai flange I’ve seen more than a few on here snap off at the box.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
The SAI tube is a fairly stiff. Just make sure that there is no tension (or little tension as possible) at the connection to the box top and hope for the best. That's what I'm doing!:D

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Have not heard of any SAI snapping off of Autotech intakes. Is this a thing? I have been running mine for a long time and have had zero issues. The connector on the box is made of aluminum i believe so that part wouldn't snap, must be the actual plastic connector?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
Hi,
I did not find this piece in my country, so I closed the left back using silicone glue,
And also, I opened the front right of the air duct,
I installed K&N Inbox, and I removed the snow filter from the OEM air box, and an air cooler on the right side grill made here in Brazil.

The operating logic was similar to the VWR R600, I believe it improved the insion, and should have improved something in the IAT ...

This part isnt expensive or complex to make... I hope Chinese manufacturers start making this soon!

icin235

Passed Driver's Ed
The SAI tube is a fairly stiff. Just make sure that there is no tension (or little tension as possible) at the connection to the box top and hope for the best. That's what I'm doing!:D

That's why I'm using an ECS silicone tube instead of the hard plastic tube that the Autotech intake came with. Plenty of flex.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Have not heard of any SAI snapping off of Autotech intakes. Is this a thing? I have been running mine for a long time and have had zero issues. The connector on the box is made of aluminum i believe so that part wouldn't snap, must be the actual plastic connector?

I've seen one picture of the plastic around the aluminum fitting break. It could be possible that the plastic around the fitting was not completely filled/formed during the molding process. I have not seen other cases of failures.

rafamonteiroo

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm sure its posted somewhere but why is this needed?

the idea is to leave similar to the operation of the VWR R600,

OEM open back can enter engine heat.

Closed would be directed the outside air for intake.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ok that makes sense from the intake point of view, but why would VW leave this open? Would this drive up engine temps by sealing it off? The piece is designed for another engine, not ours. Just curious, not debating that it helps with intake flow.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
It's open because the duct work always has air flowing "into" the engine bay, and down and around the oil cooler on the left side of the engine. The only time it would ever pull air from the engine bay was if the car was sitting still. When the car is moving, the incoming air prevents any engine bay air from coming in from the left side.

TLDR: The cut on the left is to help provide airflow to the cars oil cooler. (its on the same section that the oil cartridge assembly is). The replacement ductwork is from a vehicle that doesn't have an oil cooler mounted on the left side. (#5 is the cooler) Of course this cooler is still pretty blocked by things, but that's a theory about why there is airflow on that side of the engine.

Last edited: