GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECS off via button.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have a GT spec & have no ESC button, only access via the infotainment screen which is long winded, & useless when you need to temporarily turn off ASR/ESC when setting off in snow etc.......

My 14yr old Skoda Fabia has a nice ASR button.............

Does anyone know how to retro fit this ESC/ASR button in a Golf? I presume it would involve buying the switch from the dealers, programming via VCDS (I have), & wiring to where/what?

Mk620T

Ready to race!
I'm interested in retrofitting the button as well. Would be great if someone with the button could get the pn and see where the wiring goes. I think we could probably find the coding based on the known coding to change the button function.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Ordered a part NO 5G1 927 137 PW ZU........the strip of buttons down that side of the gearstick are all one unit! This is for a UK spec & GT interior colour but with the Mode, stop/start & ESC buttons (mine has no ESC, only GTI & R in UK have).

It also has the same 12 pin connector on the back as per OEM for non ESC cars. BUT I do not know if my car has the wiring in the loom to for ESC button! So it will plug in but do not know if it will work, so might be extra wiring on top of VCDS coding!

Will find out in a couple of weeks as part not in UK!

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Thanks - much appreciated. I went out to my US Spec TDI and I didn't find a 12-pin connector anywhere - it appears the wiring for any near-shifter switches is absent.

If you have a Mode button or a stop/start button then it uses this connector as those buttons are removed & the new complete unit (mode, stop/start, esc) is fitted in it's place.............

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Does anyone know how to retro fit this ESC/ASR button in a Golf? I presume it would involve buying the switch from the dealers, programming via VCDS (I have), & wiring to where/what?

Dave : Here's how VW show the centre console buttons.
Regarding your wiring question, I have put together a wiring diagram for the ESP switch as well below. The ESP switch is ""E256" in the diagram. Don't worry about E540 (the Auto-hold button), I just included it in the diagram because of the connections that go-to A38 (in the circle). As you can see, the ESP switch connects to both the J519 module (i.e.BCM) and the J104 module (ABS). Hope the information is of help

Last edited:

nexx

Passed Driver's Ed
Regarding your wiring question, I have put together a wiring diagram for the ESP switch as well below. The ESP switch is ""E256" in the diagram. Don't worry about E540 (the Auto-hold button), I just included it in the diagram because of the connections that go-to A38 (in the circle). As you can see, the ESP switch connects to both the J519 module (i.e.BCM) and the J104 module (ABS). Hope the information is of help

Do you know the part number for the console with the ESP button? (German car, right hand drive)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

Thanks, but I am more confused as ETKA says the switch unit has a 12pin connector & your wiring diagram says it has a 10pin connector! Also where does the other wire go to listed as pin 10 to point 76

Last edited:

Z27

Ready to race!
Great job, SHFT!

By the way, is there an option to disable soundaktor without having to pull the plug physically?

Z27

Ready to race!
Awesome! OP has delivered!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks, but I am more confused as ETKA says the switch unit has a 12pin connector & your wiring diagram says it has a 10pin connector! Also where does the other wire go to listed as pin 10 to point 76

Golfdave: My apology - I certainly didn't intend to confuse you. The wiring diagram that I have posted is from VW. I haven't changed the ESP button before, but it definitely says that the switch module 1 has a 10 pin connector. I can't explain why ETKA says that its a 12 pin connector.

OK now to your second question. The black/Yellow wire on pin 10 of the connector goes to the square box with the number "76" (as you say). In VW's wiring diagrams, a number inside a square box refers to the numbers on the horizontal line at the bottom of my pic.

Hope this makes sense - it's just the way that VW does their wiring diagrams.

You will see that the square box number "76" sits over "72" on the bottom line. If you go to "76" on the bottom line you will see the same black/yellow wire but this time with the square box "72". So square box "76" joins to square box "72". Eventually, this black/yellow wire goes to fuse position 34 on the "C" fuse box (via the dash panel wiring harness - see circle "A38"). "C" fuse panel is the one in the cabin (it's behind the glove-box on RH Drive cars and its on the Left side of the steering wheel on LH Drive cars). I've shown a pic of LH drive car below showing its location.

So, the complete circuit for ESP on/off switch is: +12V supply from fuse 34 via a black/yellow wire to the ESP switch on the centre console (in the dash wiring loom). From the ESP switch, a purple/green wire goes to the ABS controller via "T17d" connector on the "TIUL coupling point" (the location of both of which I have shown in the pic below). When the ESP switch is "ON", it provides a +12V signal to pin 39 of the ABS Control module (i.e. J104)

Last edited:

the bruce

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI Mk.V 2008
Do you know the part number for the console with the ESP button? (German car, right hand drive)
RHD in Brasil? :confused: