GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 Golf R ECU Upgrade!

BzzzBom

Passed Driver's Ed

A free update is now available for North American MK7 Golf R and S3 Stage 1 and 2 ECU Upgrades. The new version 2.2 update addresses all known bugs on previous versions, adds the new APR Motorsport rev limiter and provides various tweaks to the underlying code to deliver a more refined driving experience. The update installs in minutes, and is available at all North American APR dealers! Schedule an appointment today and Go APR!

Please list the bugs that this upgrade addresses and what is the "new APR Motorsport rev limiter?"

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Any artificial limp / EPC was addressed.

Motorsport Rev Limiter:
APR’s Motorsport Rev Limiter allows the engine to reach max RPM without the ECU slowing down acceleration nearly 150 RPM earlier. The result is more power to redline and a definable redline feeling as seen on Audi Quattro GMBH vehicles such as the RS4, RS5 and R8.

Oryx R

Ready to race!
@Arin: Version 2.2 also available in Europe for MY2016 ECU's (Golf R)?

I'm not Arin but I know the answer. The update is ONLY for North American cars. It doesn't make the car any faster. I believe that the problems related were only on the NA cars without port injection.

So if you have 8 injectors I don't believe you had the issues.

Is this correct Arin?

Au79

ECU from European MK7 GTI/R with production date after March 2015 can not be flashed

Mine has production date 03/26/15 so no remap possible here :(
Thought I understood APR had already found a solution around this new encryption thing, so I'm wrong?

(no I'm not into tuning boxes)

PRND[S]

The Lame & The Ludicrous
Car(s)
'15 LSG Golf R
ECU from European MK7 GTI/R with production date after March 2015 can not be flashed

Mine has production date 03/26/15 so no remap possible here :(
Thought I understood APR had already found a solution around this new encryption thing, so I'm wrong?

(no I'm not into tuning boxes)
APR can port-flash those ECUs.

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
The update was only for the North american codes. It wasn't needed on the ROW codes.

We can port flash the new codes after March 2015. That doesn't mean all box codes will be ready and on the server. If you have a code we don't have, just have your dealer request the code and we'll email them when it's ready.

Another_Round

Caught the sale as well :) -> got 91 oct hi-torque map. Curves _very_ similar to 93 and 100 oct low-torque curves. I chose to go with 91 due to concerns over 93 oct gas availability. I think my stock DSG is safe; wish APR would speak to specific octane maps when they make recommendations. "The high torque upgrade may require an upgraded clutch....." doesn't necessarily jibe with the relative performance of each map when octane is factored in as far as I can tell. It seems to only apply the 93 - 100 oct high-torque which are above the highest low-torque maps. At least, I hope so.

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
Got the stage 1 93 high tq tune. Loving it. No dsg slippage either. I've tried pretty hard to get it to slip. Lol.

Decided not to go with the tcu tune, if an option to only increase clamping pressure and increase rpm limit at a lower price, I'd be all over it.

Can't wait to goto stage2!

How lean or what should i look out for when running stage1 with a 100 or 200 cell downpipe? Sorta worried about the commute back to my apr dealer after the downpipe is on.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Got the stage 1 93 high tq tune. Loving it. No dsg slippage either. I've tried pretty hard to get it to slip. Lol.

Decided not to go with the tcu tune, if an option to only increase clamping pressure and increase rpm limit at a lower price, I'd be all over it.

Can't wait to goto stage2!

How lean or what should i look out for when running stage1 with a 100 or 200 cell downpipe? Sorta worried about the commute back to my apr dealer after the downpipe is on.

What are the reasons behind not getting the DSG tune. Every customer we flash with DSG they wonder why they didn't do it from the start.:confused::D

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
What are the reasons behind not getting the DSG tune. Every customer we flash with DSG they wonder why they didn't do it from the start.:confused::D

I have thought long and hard and decided against it.. I was originally booked to get it along with the stage 1 93 high output tune. Was offered a combo discount as well...

Anyway here goes...

Increased clamping pressure
If my dsg fluids were not low and I had clutch slip, I would not hesitate getting this tune on a trial basis to confirm it will fix the slipping.

But honestly, out of all the reviews and research I've done; I have only found 1 individual on the mk7 platform reporting fluids were good and a TCU upgrade fixing their reported slipping issue. (Can't recall which ECU tune they were using, but APR TCU fixed it for them)

Optimized Shift Points, smoother Daily Driving and Quicker shifts
I only use D mode after a cold start until engine oil and dsg is warmed up, then I'm using manual mode 99% of the time.
Seems great for those that drive in D mode on a regular.

A couple of milliseconds I can live without. I can make up for it easily with the estimated 80/70 tq/hp ecu tune, shaving off unsprung wheel weight etc. This is just how I view it.

Although no mention of shift input response time, I've been driving dual clutch vehicles for awhile, I've learned to adapt to the delay, and have with the R. Would be nice though. LFA type shifts!!?

Increased RPM range
I would love this option!

Adjustable 3-Step launch control and increased RPM option
4k rpm is fine, I can easily adjust my throttle position if I wanted to launch at a lower rpm.

LC isn't something I'd use often. During the first month of ownership? DEFINITELY!, after a tune? YES!, after sticky tires and suspension and support YES!. Drag strip? YES! No more than 25 launches in 7 years with my mk6, can't see it being anymore with the R.

User Definable Manual Mode
I've dyno'd and have done numerous data logging, I have no issues with the kickdown switch. ;)

Disabling Auto downshifts?
I'm fine with this when rolling to a stop, with the mk6 and mk7 I have not experienced the shudder issue that people speak of. It seems to be common when in D mode? I never downshift to 1 or N to disengage with the DSG. When spirited driving in M, you'd downshift prior to the TCU interfering.

Downshift Lockout Optimized
:confused: I think the stock TCU does a fine job with this feature already? Never had issues dropping down 2 or 3 gears quickly just before attacking a corner. Then again I don't track competitively, only casual lap days in the past.

Raised Torque Limiters/additional protection
Supportive data would be nice? But seriously, this will most likely benefit Stage 3 or Stage2 93 high torque users.

APR and any other tuning company wouldn't release multiple output options for stage 1 or 2 if the average standard dsg and stock TCU couldn't support it. Wouldn't make any business sense ;)

With that said, let's say APR releases a fourth option to the low, medium and high TQ options, and called it insane where it's rated to 435TQ. I could see the TCU being a minimum requirement, just as how an IC is required for the the high TQ tune to support the greater hp and tq levels.

Temperature Management Optimized
:confused: If APR provided a bit more detail and data, OK! I'd be all over this. More protection the better! It probably is optimized for the changes made to their version of the TCU.

From what I recall stock torque clutch protection limitation is set to less than 1020 NM. Meaning it'll make necessary adjustments to protect, be it limiting speed, locking out shifts, etc...

Preserving the plates is always a good thing, but I'd have to consider this selling point with a grain of salt.

Gear Display Activated
M Mode :p

Out of all of the reviews I've read, a majority of emphasis and positive notes were on the changes to the D full auto mode and it's behavior along with S mode being a bit more practical. Maybe a total of 3 negative reviews. I do not doubt the positive reviews either. APR has developed a great product to sell, for this audience. Good job!

With all that said, I have yet to see a review from a user that predominately uses M mode. Have you had slipping? did it fix it?, are shift input and response actually improved? Are shifts actually noticeably faster?

If an a la cart offering was available for the TCU upgrade, I'd get it.
i.e if stripped version of the tcu tune was avail, i.e Increased Clutch Clamping Pressure, higher RPM + the accommodating protection adjustments set at a base of 30% less the retail of the current tcu tune.

But for all of the features listed and the current price point, It just seemed to be something to pass on.

(sorry if my engrish, reasoning don't make sense to some of you readers) :p

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I'm curious about your statement about the DSG fluid being low? Have you been to the dealer to address it? Did you encounter slipping and the low DSG fluid was the reasoning? You state that all but one person has had low DSG fluid. Trying to get my arms around this. I heard of a few cars having this but seems you have experienced researching and finding all but one. Any clarification would be awsome as I have a DSG and now you spiked my curiosity. Cheers

Drunknfoo

Ready to race!
I dont have issues with clutch slipping... So no...

Low dsg fluids may cause clutch slippage at x amount of tq.
I have no experience, but apr and many others have found this answer from other peoples experiences.

You misread what i wrote about the example where the tcu tune fixed a persons clutch slipping issue where fluid was good.