GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Presents the MK7 Golf R ECU Upgrade!

jshwon

Ready to race!
Arin I've really been wanting to make a return to the APR tune for my 15 S3. Just want to be sure program switching is still in the works. If so I'll get the tune and add the program switching when available. I'm only really interested in 93,100,stock and maybe valet like I had in my B8 A4. If this is coming I'm onboard.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
Arin what are you hearing if anything with stage 1 tunes going into limp mode under hard acceleration at speed and possibly over 5,000 rpm and higher gears 4th and 5th? Davey Jones had his car go into limp mode at 80 mph on a highway. Pretty scary, just inquiring if you had heard any other reports. Cheers

Arin@APR

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
B8 S4, MK7 GSW TDI
Arin what are you hearing if anything with stage 1 tunes going into limp mode under hard acceleration at speed and possibly over 5,000 rpm and higher gears 4th and 5th? Davey Jones had his car go into limp mode at 80 mph on a highway. Pretty scary, just inquiring if you had heard any other reports. Cheers

I heard about that and I believe it's addressed for most box codes as far as I'm aware. When we have the official update released, we'll let everyone know. For the time being, you can always report it to support@goapr.com and our support team will make sure you get the most update information and are taken care of.

Beaker1

Go Kart Champion
I heard about that and I believe it's addressed for most box codes as far as I'm aware. When we have the official update released, we'll let everyone know. For the time being, you can always report it to support@goapr.com and our support team will make sure you get the most update information and are taken care of.

Thanks man!

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
In relation to this: confirmed from my tuner that the APR Stage 1 v2.2 update will release "officially" next week. (he was reading the e-mail as I walked in)

In fact, it was already on the servers so my car just got flashed to it when I went in for an update.

Oryx R

Ready to race!
In relation to this: confirmed from my tuner that the APR Stage 1 v2.2 update will release "officially" next week. (he was reading the e-mail as I walked in)

In fact, it was already on the servers so my car just got flashed to it when I went in for an update.

Awesome! Did you go from the previous stage 1 file to the v2.2 or did you go from stock to the new file? If it is the former what are your thoughts on it? How's it compare to the old file?

iliveoncaffiene

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 718 GT4
Awesome! Did you go from the previous stage 1 file to the v2.2 or did you go from stock to the new file? If it is the former what are your thoughts on it? How's it compare to the old file?

I went from previous Stage 1 (v1.1) to this new one.

The most noticeable change is in the low RPM range. For instance, I almost stalled a couple of times leaving the tuner because there was less boost in the low rpms = more gas to get into 1st from a stop.
However, the delivery is much more linear when reaching higher rpms, and I can more smoothly get into 1st / 2nd without as much ... "lunging" and "lurching" when it felt like there was a ton of boost.
I find myself wanting to take it 3-4k regularly when accelerating rather than having a swift lurch at ~3k rpm where it's all of the sudden fast (very noticeable in v1.1, and non-existant in v2.2)

From what I heard, the more "tameness" in the low rpms was to prevent overboosting and starving the turbo. The top-end didn't change.

Oryx R

Ready to race!
I went from previous Stage 1 (v1.1) to this new one.

The most noticeable change is in the low RPM range. For instance, I almost stalled a couple of times leaving the tuner because there was less boost in the low rpms = more gas to get into 1st from a stop.
However, the delivery is much more linear when reaching higher rpms, and I can more smoothly get into 1st / 2nd without as much ... "lunging" and "lurching" when it felt like there was a ton of boost.
I find myself wanting to take it 3-4k regularly when accelerating rather than having a swift lurch at ~3k rpm where it's all of the sudden fast (very noticeable in v1.1, and non-existant in v2.2)

From what I heard, the more "tameness" in the low rpms was to prevent overboosting and starving the turbo. The top-end didn't change.

Ok I have v1.1 so I'll have to check with my tuner next week.

So it's not faster or anything? If I understood you it was more of a safety update? I was hoping some of that R&D from the GTI is38 kit would translate to more power for us with Golf R's.

I'm stage 1 until they release their(APR) downpipe. I'm not actually going to buy their DP for sure I just want to see it before I pick something else. I'm worried it will be super ex$pen$ive!

A2R

Go Kart Newbie
I'm going in Monday to have a APR stage 1 tune flashed. It would appear that they have fixed the majority of issues people were having. Also glad I waited.

I will report a mini review of before and after once it's completed.
Current stats
2016 Golf R with just over 3k miles
Nav/DCC
DSG