GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Perfectly Flush Offset

gundamg14

Ready to race!
what about 18x8 et 40 up front? I know that would work in the back but its between the modifications needed for 35 and the suggested 45

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
8.5 et30 fine

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You're calling that fine?

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
The right way is the way YOU want to do it. I personally favor a square setup plus spacers over a staggered setup. For handling those are both just as detrimental for FWD and AWD cars. Increasing the rear track width will increase understeer. The staggered setup only helps performance on a rear drive car.

But let's face it, most of us never track our cars, and those that do usually have a dedicated wheel/tire setup just for those occasions. The other 99% of the time we just want something that looks good. That usually means, for most, using a thicker spacer on the rear.

BTW if someone cares about having it all, there are companies that make slightly widened (+25mm) front fenders for newer Golfs, allowing the same width wheels that are flush on the rear to also be used and be flush on the front. Such a setup looks great and doesn't hurt performance. Understeer is not increased. SRS-Tec is one company.
Nice.... So what would be the proper back spacing on a 19x8.5 wheel for this? Looking for a no space solution

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 3,955

paulkromz

Drag Racing Champion
Nice.... So what would be the proper back spacing on a 19x8.5 wheel for this? Looking for a no space solution

Bro,

First off you have to figure out what suspension you are gonna run.
From there you can determine what works for you.

The tippy top pics on this page are mine and a GOLF7 on A3 front knuckles and H&R Deep coils I am tucking 19x8.5 ET 45. I have a skid plate and I drive through Baltimore and have only scraped once (driving over metal plates).

You really wont get anywhere near that look with springs unless you cut them :D

Last edited:

Chowderhead72

Ready to race!
Bro,

First off you have to figure out what suspension you are gonna run.
From there you can determine what works for you.

The tippy top pics on this page are mine and a GOLF7 on A3 front knuckles and H&R Deep coils I am tucking 19x8.5 ET 45. I have a skid plate and I drive through Baltimore and have only scraped once (driving over metal plates).

You really wont get anywhere near that look with springs unless you cut them :D

I hear you man... Perhaps the inclusion of the pic was a bit misleading, I'm not trying to go anywhere near that low. I'm just looking for a wheel solution to go with the VWR springs. I just don't like the idea of spacers.

Im just looking to end up like in these pics without the use of spacers.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 4,386
Last edited:

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Picking up a new mk7 gti and I'm wanting to put on a set of Rse10's as soon as possible on it. Anyone have an idea how much I can sell a set of 4 Austin's almost new for?

Anyway...I am at a loss between 18x8 ET45 + 5mm spacers rear, and 18x8.5 ET45.

I plan on using the stock 225x40 tires with the new wheel regardless, and if getting the 8.5, will change to 235 whenever I do need new tires.

I don't have plans to lower, but if I ever do, it'll be VWR Springs.

Which would be my best choice for the most flush look without having to worry about scraping, considering possibly lowering down the road? Whats the downside of a 225 on an 8.5" (don't know anything about stretched tires..)?

All insight appreciated! Thanks!!

ourlee

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 TT 17 GTI S
$450 for the austins, universally disliked.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
will 18x8.5 et 43 wheels with 225's likely rub? I drive 4 people around a lot so I'd like a setup with little to no rubbing.

So I just bought rse10 18x8.5 ET 45.

Haven't done any hard cornering, but at stock height, not a chance of rubbing with 235/40 section tires.

I talked to someone with 245/40 section and VWR springs and he said minimal rubbing if it's a large dip on the highway or something, so you'll be good. But please upgrade to 235 after those 225 wear out, for look and to protect your rims too. Plus more grip. I want to say wider tires soak up hard jolts in the road better, reminds me of my dads A7. Lighter wheels plus wider tires, the car soaks up rough pavement better, no doubt. Michelin PSS here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CA-GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
So I just bought rse10 18x8.5 ET 45.

Haven't done any hard cornering, but at stock height, not a chance of rubbing with 235/40 section tires.

I talked to someone with 245/40 section and VWR springs and he said minimal rubbing if it's a large dip on the highway or something, so you'll be good.

Sorry, forgot to add that I'm lowered on VWR springs. I'm aware that 18x8.5 et45 fit pretty good with minimal rubbing. Wheels I'm looking at are et43 though and I'm curious if there is 2mm of wiggle room between the fenders and tires to avoid excessive rubbing. I'm aware 225's will stretch a little, I would only go 225's to try to avoid rubbing (they are rated for up to a 8.5 inch wide wheel too on tirerack). The wheels are tsw bathurst's, I'm mostly just curious how much extra room there is on a 18x8.5 et 45 setup so I decide if et 43 is cutting it too close.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I'm 235/40 on an 18x8.5 +40. No real rubbing after the fender screw mod.

CA-GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm 235/40 on an 18x8.5 +40. No real rubbing after the fender screw mod.

Ive heard of the fender screw mod, but dont know exactly what it entails, would you mind explaining what exactly it is? Also, does "no real rubbing" pretty much means it rubs fairly often?