GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Introducing: The AWE Tuning Mk7 GTI Exhaust Suite

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
*IF YOU PLAN TO STAY WITH THE STOCK DOWNPIPE

Sorry, should have clarified! I recommend the track to anyone with a stock DP. Not bashing the touring but don't think its necessary unless you go aftermarket DP.

Hey, Greek.

Glad you're pleased!

Yes, even the Track Edition is not over bearing by any means. It's very suitable for the factory downpipe. We wanted to make sure that it didn't drone (even for the Track variant). There's more presence in the cabin with the Track going through gears since the Mk7 insolation + the stock exhausts don't let you know it's there. The Touring Edition is more fit for an aftermarket downpipe.

Track with catted downpipe sounds great from the outside - but you'll be on the inside. You may or may not end up considering a conversion kit.

Anywho, glad you got it installed, it was painless for your mech, and the chrome looks great against the TR. If you ever need me, email me or hit me here :)

I am definitely happy with the track for now. I've heard ones with both resonator + muffler delete and, to me, it just sounds like the car needs....a new muffler lol. I definitely want to go the DP route later for some more sound but the interior tone now is enough to put a smile on my face every drive. Only bad thing is it keeps tempting me to put my foot down!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
ATR and Hen: you guys are fast. Greek, take a few of my points as echoes to theirs :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again... AWE is my favorite American based exhaust company.

I'm personally leaning towards the Touring exhaust in the long run. But I'm also thinking about another exhaust based out of the UK. I'm personally looking for a really subtle exhaust with a downpipe. Interior noise levels a tad louder than stock when cruising. But a good noise when I get on it without being overwhelming.

Last edited:

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Sorry, should have clarified! I recommend the track to anyone with a stock DP. Not bashing the touring but don't think its necessary unless you go aftermarket DP.

I am definitely happy with the track for now. I've heard ones with both resonator + muffler delete and, to me, it just sounds like the car needs....a new muffler lol. I definitely want to go the DP route later for some more sound but the interior tone now is enough to put a smile on my face every drive. Only bad thing is it keeps tempting me to put my foot down!

I literally just put mine on last night. Really was a breeze and the welds were so uniform. I went with black tips(btw - we have the same car you and I!). Jealous of your mud flaps (why the hell didn't I get them?! edit: probably should of asked for them or haggled). I'm going to go DP too and do the resonator swap like blueHen. Yeah I know I shoulda just done the resonated version first but idk how long until I go DP so whatever. I need more turbo spool and burble. Putting more miles on the car before replacing cats..

Josh/AWE

Unlocking Performance
I literally just put mine on last night. Really was a breeze and the welds were so uniform. I went with black tips(btw - we have the same car you and I!). Jealous of your mud flaps (why the hell didn't I get them?! edit: probably should of asked for them or haggled). I'm going to go DP too and do the resonator swap like blueHen. Yeah I know I shoulda just done the resonated version first but idk how long until I go DP so whatever. I need more turbo spool and burble. Putting more miles on the car before replacing cats..

Hope you enjoy it for many miles, Freeman! If you need me, hit me. Cheers!

Josh/AWE

Unlocking Performance
Josh, any plans to come out with other tip designs? Love the sound but looking for stock-like tips in the 90-95mm range.

No, but you can get yourself a set of our 90s and put them on if you wish. I am not sure how it will look in the valance, though. Email me if you'd like to proceed. I'll get you where you need to be.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Cheers to you, A. Did you ever get the thing installed yet? Ha. It's been a while, hasn't it? You are strong against anticipation, it seems. :)
Oh man you have no idea...

Initially I went to NGP during the tax season sale. Put in a reservation for the Touring exhaust and setup a appointment for the install.

That same night I found someone localish that was selling the track edition plus trade for the oem exhaust. Seemed perfect. Canceled the Touring exhaust at NGP and setup a time to meet with him at a local shop. Twice he couldn't make it to the shop so I just gave up on that one and went back to the drawing board...

AWE continues to be a top contender in my search for what I'm looking for.

So what am I looking for in a exhaust?
-stock sounding when idling and when I'm cruising at partial throttle. A little bit of extra noise when lightly accelerating is fine. Just nothing over the top sound wise.

SouthSideGti

Ready to race!

Initially I went to NGP during the tax season sale. Put in a reservation for the Touring exhaust and setup a appointment for the install.

That same night I found someone localish that was selling the track edition plus trade for the oem exhaust. Seemed perfect. Canceled the Touring exhaust at NGP and setup a time to meet with him at a local shop. Twice he couldn't make it to the shop so I just gave up on that one and went back to the drawing board...

-stock sounding when idling and when I'm cruising at partial throttle. A little bit of extra noise when lightly accelerating is fine. Just nothing over the top sound wise.
You need to jump back on the touring path. It's a vast improvement over stock and it does not annoy when cruising above 60.

I've had mine installed now for 1500 miles and I haven't once said "I wish I got the track".

Kei_Loper

Ready to race!
*IF YOU PLAN TO STAY WITH THE STOCK DOWNPIPE

**DING. DING. DING. WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :D

AWE Track was a tale of two exhausts for me. It was absolutely wonderful with the stock downpipe. It was mother f***ing loud with the AWE DP. Not ricey - just mother f***ing loud. It was fine at steady-state highway cruising 55-75 mph, but vary the throttle or do any accelerating and it's mother f***ing loud. You will hear and feel it, all day, every day. Now don't get me wrong. Are there times when you'd like to spray the MF'er behind you with loud? Yes. But not all day, every day.

So the moral here: Ask yourself, "am I ever going to modify this car to a point where a downpipe is in the plans?" If the answer to that is "yes," then the Touring is the way to go. Trust me.

This is exactly what I gathered about these exhausts. My mk6 GLi had a few exhausts over my time, and I found out this exact thing. I first went with a Borla which was similar to the AWE track stuff in that it had 1 muffler and no resonator. It sounded AMAZING and perfect when I got it, but.....when I put a downpipe on the car, it all went wrong. I got rid of that one, and got the Magnaflow setup (more like the touring), and once again, it was perfect.

I agree that stock dp is probably best for the track exhaust if you want more than stock, but not crazy noise, and not barely any more noise. Touring for anything further, for sure.

Kei

Josh/AWE

Unlocking Performance

You need to jump back on the touring path. It's a vast improvement over stock and it does not annoy when cruising above 60.

I've had mine installed now for 1500 miles and I haven't once said "I wish I got the track".

SouthSide has a good point, A. I endorse the recommendation after reading what you're after. :)

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt

SouthSide has a good point, A. I endorse the recommendation after reading what you're after. :)
Thanks guys! I think that'll be the path I go with :cool:
It helps that the Touring exhaust is several hundred dollars less than the other exhaust I'm considering :D

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks guys! I think that'll be the path I go with :cool:
It helps that the Touring exhaust is several hundred dollars less than the other exhaust I'm considering :D

Are you planning to run the Touring with the stock downpipe, or an aftermarket DP?
Either way, I'm interested in your take once it's installed and warmed up.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Are you planning to run the Touring with the stock downpipe, or an aftermarket DP?
Either way, I'm interested in your take once it's installed and warmed up.
Long run plans include awe's downpipe.

I'm thinking touring with stock downpipe. Though I'm strongly considering the track cat back with stock downpipe to start with.

The great thing about AWE is they are one of a very few if not the only exhaust manufacturer that offer conversion kits. So if I change my mind I can always get the conversation kit :cool: