GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sandman GTI MK7 PP DCC Lighting Pkg - The Journey begins!

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
The other reason I removed was the fact with the PP package you have a GTI logo on the front brakes also. So with a total of 6 GTI badges, I thought too many.
Not wanting to look like a Shelby Mustang. :D
Never seen a Shelby Mustang with a GTI badge on the side.[emoji14]
Love the wheels and spoiler though! Looking nice!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Hey bud, reading through your thread now. Nice car man you put some decent work into it and looks nice!

You mentioned something in my thread about the front engine cover though? My issue is with my apr intake there doesnt seem to be a way to reincorporate tge oem cover back on (the one that goes over the radiator with the stickers and labels)

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Hey bud, reading through your thread now. Nice car man you put some decent work into it and looks nice!

You mentioned something in my thread about the front engine cover though? My issue is with my apr intake there doesnt seem to be a way to reincorporate tge oem cover back on (the one that goes over the radiator with the stickers and labels)

The front engine cover sits between the main engine cover and the OE air intake cover at the front of the engine. Some EU cars used to get this smaller engine cover but the USA never did. It covers the open area at the front of the engine.
I think it would look good with you APR intake.
Yes, with the APR your front stock air intake is removed I think.

Below is my engine and you can see the small front engine cover between the main cover and the air intake box located at front of the engine bay.

Last edited:

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
Oh okay yeah im not talking about that one. I need to reincorporate the one with the labels and stickers on it.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Product Warning.

I hate to give negative feedback on this product but I have not had success with it and wanted to keep some of you from spending money on it. The product performs very well as a tire dresser. Looks good and is light so it does not sling off and stays wet for a good while.

So what is wrong?:confused:
The first can clogged up in the nozzle before halfway thru the can. I tried to clean out and blow out but no luck. I tried to find a different nozzle, no luck. I purchased a second can and it also worked ok for a while but the nozzle clogged not even half way thru the can. Never could get them to clear.

So, great product, but can not use all of the can.

Take your chances if you purchase.

IMG_2309.JPG

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Euro Light Switch.

It has only been a year but this last week I ordered a Euro switch from eBay.
I think around $38.
Thought I would take a chance on the lower cost item, and if I was wrong I would be joining the 95 other people ahead of me who ordered one.
The switch is made in China for VW. Similar sticker on the side. The switch is much like my OE. The molded back panel even has more molded in lettering as the OE has none.
Easy change as has been covered before.
Everything works like it should.

Question:
We call this the Euro Switch, that USA owners install so we can turn DRL's and fog lights on at same time without head lights.
The EU guys don't understand why we would want to do this, yet their switch can do this. So, is it really a Euro switch or is it a China switch?:confused:
Maybe it is a USA switch?
If the EU does not use this switch like we do, then how does it work for them?
I know it works with rear fog light like in the EU.

Last edited:

GTI2016

Ready to race!

Yes your car is nice great looking Sandman lowering it with VWR springs would only make it look mo betta! Or you could just remove the shipping pucks and thatll bring it down a little...! WHAT!?! LOL :p

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It has only been a year but this last week I ordered a Euro switch from eBay.
I think around $38.
Thought I would take a chance on the lower cost item, and if I was wrong I would be joining the 95 other people ahead of me who ordered one.
Th switch is made in China for VW. Similar sticker on the side. The switch. Is much like my OE. The molded back panel even has more molded in lettering as the OE has none.
Easy change as has been covered before.
Everything works like it should.

Question:
We call this the Euro Switch, that USA owners install so we can turn DRL's and fog lights on at same time without head lights.
The EU guys don't understand why we would want to do this, yet their switch can do this. So, is it really a Euro switch or is it a China switch?:confused:
Maybe it is a USA switch?
If the EU does not use this switch like we do, then how does it work for them?
I know it works with rear fog light like in the EU.

One additional difference between the Euroswitch's functionality and the US switch is that, with city lights
(DRLs+rear lights) engaged, when you activate your turning signal, the DRL fades to 50% illumination while your blinker blinks. When you disengage the turning signal, the DRL fades back to 100%.

I have only seen this feature on Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Yes your car is nice great looking Sandman lowering it with VWR springs would only make it look mo betta! Or you could just remove the shipping pucks and thatll bring it down a little...! WHAT!?! LOL :p

If I lower it was thinking about Eibach sport springs that have a dual stage winding. I want to lower about 1 inch and if I can improve ride the better. They have a new Platinum line but web site does not list a part for GTI yet.
Strut Pucks. Ha. I would worry about that had I not checked under the boot every time I jack the front up. :D I hear about it so much here on the forum I always check.

Last edited:

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
One additional difference between the Euroswitch's functionality and the US switch is that, with city lights
(DRLs+rear lights) engaged, when you activate your turning signal, the DRL fades to 50% illumination while your blinker blinks. When you disengage the turning signal, the DRL fades back to 100%.

I have only seen this feature on Mercedes, BMW, and Audi.

Does this option work with the Euro switch we can buy or are you saying the EU cars work this way? At night I will find a store window and see if it does anything.
Thanks for info on difference.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Mirror Caps

I have had my GTI over a year now and not long after getting it I changed the white mirror caps for Carbon Fiber. Just love the look. The only true CF cap I have seen was sold by OSIR. This is a solid CF cap that you can see the CF on the inside of the cap and plastic clips had been glued in. This cap is also the most expensive at around $500 for the set. I also see there are some for sale at around $100. Most CF caps sold are CF overlays that cover an existing VW MK7 cap. I purchased a set for just under $200. I went for a slightly higher price thinking quality might be better. The CF and clear finished looks good but the edge that faces the driver could have been better. I ran them over the winter and this spring they started to crack down in the weave. Along the surface you could see the material lifting in the cracked areas So I purchased a set of gloss black caps from ebay, $45 total. The caps are from China. Not sure if they are VW, there are no markings inside cap like the OE one but the cap molding quality is good. Paint quality is also good, not perfect. I changed them out and took a picture. I like CF but I think on a DD it will not last or hold up. I have seen Corvette's with CF and after a few years even they do not look as good. My advice is to stay away from CF unless it is CF wrap maybe.

My only question on the gloss black caps is how long the paint finish will last. But now I have a set that can be repainted locally. Still have my white so could always change back.:cool:

IMG_2375.JPG

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Paint Design.

OK, it's not about the girl so stay focused.

Some have mentioned painting the rear quarter panel a different color.
I think this looks rather nice. More of a track car look, but one could wrap it, which would be removed when finished with the look. I think it looks like the rear R8 panel. CF or Matt Black would look good.
I also like the wheels. Many have talked about white wheels but this has the black and red spokes with white barrel. I like it with the white car.

I bet she is a good salesperson with a nice personality.

IMG_2380.JPG