GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

manual vs dsg and why

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Most DSG drivers don't really care about style points. I had a 6mt mk7 and now have a dsg mk7, enjoy it way more

Precisely the reason some of us prefer 3 pedals. There's a thrill in executing a well timed shift, up or especially down. Yes you can do that with the DSG but it's really not the same.

gameaud

Ready to race!
If i could go back in time i would probably get a dsg. This is because i live in the city though. The shift from 1st to 2nd is terrible in turbo cars, rev hang for days.

adam1991

Banned
Oh, how I can't wait for y'all to find yourself in a situation where you can't row your own. Will you kill yourselves at that point?

SAABTurboGuy

Go Kart Newbie
Manual for me. I don't care about fractions of a second to 60 mph...heck I wouldn't care if it was a full second or two slower with the manual. I like the feel of a shifter and clutch.

That said, its a personal choice, so whatever floats your boat!

wantone

Ready to race!
Oh, how I can't wait for y'all to find yourself in a situation where you can't row your own. Will you kill yourselves at that point?

A bit extreme don't you think? If I lose an arm or leg or both, then DSG for sure as it becomes a near necessity. Until then.........manual.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
But a DSG can't go 6th to 4th, 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd, or 3rd to 1st.

They can't go even to even or odd to odd because of the way the clutches share gears. It may start doing things in a blink of an eye but it has to sort itself out first. If you have to wait why not just do it yourself?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

See quote above lol

So you're either paying for the option($1100), then buying a TCU tune for $700(plus an hour of labor to flash which is probably another $100) which is $1900 bucks

or

You get the 6MT which isn't an added cost option, buy either a SMF setup for $1295:
http://www.urotuning.com/DKM-Stage-3-MS-Twin-Disc-Clutch-Flywheel-Kit-TSI-p/ms-034-060.htm

or a DMF setup for $1050:
https://www.hstuning.com/product_info.php?products_id=3888

then pay someone to install it if you're lazy like me for $500-$700 and realistically you're within a couple hundred of each other.

It comes down to wanting to shift yourself or just hanging out and letting the car do its thing.

The fact that everyone keeps talking about how the DSG is "cheaper" to upgrade everything else is wrong. You spend about the same money in order to get the same result. Also, if you want to make big boy power that DKM twin organic disc up there for the manual is rated to 660 tq and drives almost like stock.

If you want to hold 660 tq with the DSG it's $4825 just for parts.

http://www.urotuning.com/HPA-Motorsports-Performance-Clutch-Pack-DQ250-DSG-p/hpa-dsg-clutch.htm

On the drop down on that, you select stage 2, and I already subtracted the $600 core fee, so you need $5425 up front.

While you're spending that on just clutches(7 of them in the stage 2 kit), my lazy self is going right over to here:

http://www.goapr.com/products/crate_engine_20t_ea888_gen3.html

and buying a built long block because my $1295 clutch will take whatever I throw at it.

Or I'll kill my stock engine with some big ass turbo setup with mad fueling like the VTT S2+ for $3298 with their fueling upgrade + whatever UM is going to charge for their tuning, we'll say $1000 to make it simple so $4298, which is STILL less money than some clutch packs. All while my $1295 clutch will hold it. Oh and if I want to go higher power I replace the organic discs with the ceramic ones from DKM for less than $1000.

There is no one that is better than the other when it comes to modding. There's differences which causes people to have preferences. If you're talking dollar for dollar, they cost about the same until you want big power, then the DSG gets stupid expensive.

99% DSG owners don't go for 600 wtq, so your assumption is not valid. 99% DSG owners stay under 400 wtq.;)

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Precisely the reason some of us prefer 3 pedals. There's a thrill in executing a well timed shift, up or especially down. Yes you can do that with the DSG but it's really not the same.

I completely understand. But for what I'm doing with the car dsg suits my needs better. Funny seeing some of the 6mt guys feeling like they have something to prove so they shit talk dsg.

Last edited:

adam1991

Banned
A bit extreme don't you think? If I lose an arm or leg or both, then DSG for sure as it becomes a near necessity. Until then.........manual.

That's my point.

No, it's not extreme in the context of the attitudes expressed here. What I'm reading above is "manual or die!".

My wife can't clutch anymore--bad ankle. In that context, DSG is a beautiful thing compared to the alternatives.

adam1991

Banned
I completely understand. But for what I'm doing with the car dsg suits my needs better. Funny seeing some of the 6mt guys feeling like they have something to prove so they shit talk dsg.

Exactly. And they go to extremes to "prove" their talk.

What's hilarious is watching them talk about shifting their cars in a manner not unlike how Prius drivers talk on forums about hypermiling their cars. It's the exact same sense of "look at how well I handle the car's system" satisfaction and self-righteousness.

demi9od

Drag Race Newbie
This thread is clearly full of Russian moles sent to sew discord and destabilize the forums.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk