GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk5 R32 Rear brake swap, Mk7

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So as some of you have seen a few months ago I upgraded the front brakes of my daily driven/track abused 2016 Gti S (non performance package) to Stoptech ST40 355mm. Several people asked what I had planned for the rear and after months of searching I found the deal I was looking for.

Link to ST40 upgrade: https://youtu.be/4ViQ_GqLnVo

I pulled the trigger on these mk5 R32 rear brakes (same size as current R & PP GTI) 310x22mm for $350 shipped! They’re blue to match my front brakes (score, I hate painting).

Here’s the full install video!

https://youtu.be/uauxiBlKC14

Link to proper brake bedding procedures

https://www.apcautotech.com/getmedi...Whitepaper_C4-Bed-In-Performance-8-2018_1.pdf

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!
Would be cool to know if these work - i hope it doesn’t run into the same problem as the mk6 R rear brakes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Definitely count me in as interested! Got the same exact blue on my St-40's and a matching caliper in the rear (TSI is completely unpainted) would be very nice.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Would be cool to know if these work - i hope it doesn’t run into the same problem as the mk6 R rear brakes!

What’s the issue with them?

I plan to run mk5 pads, rotors, and lines so it should all play nice, but we’ll see

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
Is the mk7 like the mk5 where you need to disassemble the rear hub to get the R32 dust shield on? I ran into that when I installed R32 rear brakes on my mk5 Rabbit and ended up just leaving the R32 dust shield off.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Nice deal. I've seen that kit on ECS for $1k, with rotor and pads.

Can't wait to see how it looks.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Is the mk7 like the mk5 where you need to disassemble the rear hub to get the R32 dust shield on? I ran into that when I installed R32 rear brakes on my mk5 Rabbit and ended up just leaving the R32 dust shield off.

I guess I’ll find out, I’m actually not planning to run dust shields at all (don’t have any up front with the ST40)

Nice deal. I've seen that kit on ECS for $1k, with rotor and pads.

Can't wait to see how it looks.

Same here, hopefully they look as good as they do in the pictures when they arrive

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Ok so the balls rolling now, the calipers arrived in good condition yesterday! I spoke with John again at buybrakes.com (where I also got my st40 upgrade) and ordered the rest of the parts required for installation and some fresh fluid as well.

Really excited to get these installed, I’ll be making a video and following up with a full review of both upgrades.

https://www.buybrakes.com/disc-brak...MI_eDCptPM4wIVBhgMCh330gtVEAQYAiABEgIILPD_BwE

teemmy

Ready to race!
The issue could be that the offset of the caliper carriers aren’t the same as PP brakes - so they don’t extend far enough to meet the rotors. I ran into this problem when test fitting mk6 R rear calipers to my car.

What rotors did you purchase? Rotors also have different offsets as well

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The issue could be that the offset of the caliper carriers aren’t the same as PP brakes - so they don’t extend far enough to meet the rotors. I ran into this problem when test fitting mk6 R rear calipers to my car.

What rotors did you purchase? Rotors also have different offsets as well

Everything I purchased is for the mk5 R32

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
did you get to test fit these yet? I'm looking forward to the results!

Just ordered the axle pack late in the day Friday, so it’ll probably be a few days before everything arrives.

I’m excited too, for everything but getting my old wheel spacers off as they were seized solid a year ago so I’ll probably have to destroy them to remove the stock brakes lol

akimmel

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI AB 6MT
try hammering some boxcutter blades in between the hub and the spacer to get it free. Just make sure you have your safety squints on cause pieces may go flying.