GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enabling TJA + Lane Assist on a 2018 Golf R

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI
I've just finished enabling and testing TJA on my R so I figured I'd do a better job documenting everything that needs to be done since the information is scattered all over the place.

Tools Needed

Optional Tools
  • VCDS or OBD11 - I prefer to make my coding changes with VCDS since its a lot more user friendly than VCP

Vehicle Requirements
I've only tested this on my '18 Golf R, but it's possible it may work with other vehicles that have the following components.
  • Electric Parking Brake
  • ACC
  • Front Camera Module A5 - SW: 3Q0980654 revision F or newer

Before we start I will warn everyone that uploading new parameters to a module with VCP isn't 100% safe, there are no backups, there is potential to brick your camera module. That said, there are precautions you can take. First make sure your computer is on stable power, second, since we'll be flashing things and making coding changes with our car ignition on/engine off, it helps to have a battery charger on the battery to make sure it won't die if you end up taking a while. Turning things like AC and auto lights off will also help preserve your battery.

Now to the fun part
First, lets prepare VCP.
If you've already used VCP in the past, you can skip this section and go to the next one.
  1. Download and install the software from https://vcpsystem.com/i19,download.html
  2. Open the activator, it may prompt you to update, do so before continuing.
  3. Plug in your VCP dongle.
  4. Click "Recheck Dongle" in VCP
  5. Click the image that pops up.
  6. Under User Functions click "Connect"
  7. After you are Connected, if you haven't done this before, hit "Activate"
  8. After you are Activated, if you haven't done this before, or the "charge" is low, hit "Recharge"
  9. Assuming the dongle is "charged", and you haven't done this before, hit "Download I"
  10. After "Download 1" finishes, click "Download II"

Next, download the appropriate .zcd file.
  1. In the activator, click the "Filemanagement" button.
  2. Use the search box to find the appropriate .zdc file, in the case of my 2018 Golf R with Revision H camera, my file was called "golf_frontcamera_3q0980654h.zdc"
  3. Select the line with the file and click "Download Selected"

NOTE: Don't see the file you were looking for? Double check, as the search thing kinda sucks. Still don't see it? Reach out to VCP support https://vcpsupport.pl/ and file a ticket. They may have to enable a file for your specific smart card ID.

Now that VCP is prepared, we can move on to the garage so we can...

Make coding changes
Feel free to use your favorite coding tool for this, I used VCDS - http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/.
Have your ignition on, engine off.
Enable Lane Tracking
Open Module A5 - Front Sensors Drivers Assistance System
Go to Adaptation
Channel: Intervention Moment
Select “early (setting via menu)”
Activate Adaptive Lane Tracking in your infotainment menu.

Optional Coding Changes
Here are some other coding changes I made that were related to TJA/ACC while I was there.
Module 13
If you are asked for a security code, try 20103
Long Coding
Byte 2
Bit 6, overtaking_assistance.
When using ACC, car starts to speed up when you turn your signal on to pass someone instead of waiting until you're in the new lane completely clear to start accelerating.
You can also enable Bit 0, 1, and 2 for "Automatic_driveaway_by_pretrigger", "Automatic_driveaway_after_short_stop", and "Driveaway_triggerleaver".

Adaptations
Channel: Distance basic setting option
New Value: On
This will allow you to set the default ACC distance to use when turning on ACC, or to use the last used distance, in the infotainment.

Finally, the real fun part, flashing new parameters to the camera.
  1. Plug in the VCP dongle and open VCP System application.
  2. Open "Guided Functions"
  3. On the right side of the page select "Apps" under "Moduly"
  4. Select "Upload parameter data", hit next
  5. Confirm that the ignition is on, engine is off, your battery is not going to die anytime soon, and hit next
  6. Hit "Open ZDC file" and select the file you downloaded earlier.
  7. Make sure "EraseFullMemory" is checked under ZDC Info
  8. Select module A5 under ECUs
  9. Select appropriate data to upload, in my case, it was "HATCHBACK_+TRAFFIC_JAM_ASSIST"
  10. Triple check your selection, no going back now...
  11. Click "Upload selected data". Don't be scared if you get an error on your dash from lane assist, it's normal.
  12. Sit there and wait until you get the Successful message in the bottom of the window
  13. After you get confirmation that it is done, you can close the window.
  14. Guided functions window will instruct you to turn off your ignition, do that.

You're done! Now is the time to stash away your laptop, turn your car on, and go on a careful drive to verify functionality. You may have to re-enable lane assist via the blinker stalk button, as it turned off for me after flashing new parameters.

This is what it should look like:

Hope this post has been useful for others, as VCP can be quite daunting the first time you take a look at it :eek:

Last edited:

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
Hi TAC, thanks for the detailed instructions. This is one of the post that deserves to be on the "DIY Guides and Discussions" section.

I have a 17 Golf TSI and on the same boat as you., I already retrofit the front camera - 3Q0980654G and upgraded to 3Q098065H using a frf and xml file on a ODIS E.

I do not have access to VCP Pro, however borrowing a Clone one from my friend.

Wondering, if i can enable the TJA and Pedestrian Warning on the camera with this cable., by downloading the existing ZDC File from camera, change parameterization and uploading it back.

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
R.

Marbulinek

Car(s)
VW Arteon
Hi TAC, thanks for the detailed instructions. This is one of the post that deserves to be on the "DIY Guides and Discussions" section.

I have a 17 Golf TSI and on the same boat as you., I already retrofit the front camera - 3Q0980654G and upgraded to 3Q098065H using a frf and xml file on a ODIS E.

I do not have access to VCP Pro, however borrowing a Clone one from my friend.

Wondering, if i can enable the TJA and Pedestrian Warning on the camera with this cable., by downloading the existing ZDC File from camera, change parameterization and uploading it back.

Any tips or pointers greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
R.

Hi,
which version of clone VCP did you use? I am doing DLA and I need parametrize that lights, but I dont have VCP or connection to online coding. Is there a way how to do it? Thanks

Hotwire1

Passed Driver's Ed
Any idea on how to do this via ODIS? I have a copy, and would LIKE to give it a go.

gianry

Ready to race!
Hi,
I've the 5Q0980653F front camera . Is it possible to enable traffic jam assist ? I've the ACC radar too

shonggie

Car(s)
VW Passat B8 2017
Hey OP, just attempted to do this, and messed my car up, ACC and lane assist functions are now not working.

followed your steps with the exception of the file names being a passat for my Passat B8. Running into the issue of "Error writing memory : 36 Operation RequestDownloadUDS 24 Request Sequence error" . Ive made sure i ticked erase memory.

I attempted to roll back to the G model.

Screenshot 2020-10-15 195913.png

Tac

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'18 R & '17 GTI
Hey OP, just attempted to do this, and messed my car up, ACC and lane assist functions are now not working.

followed your steps with the exception of the file names being a passat for my Passat B8. Running into the issue of "Error writing memory : 36 Operation RequestDownloadUDS 24 Request Sequence error" . Ive made sure i ticked erase memory.

I attempted to roll back to the G model.

View attachment 188817
Reach out to VCDS support, they respond <24h and should be able to advise you more. I only have experience doing this on my R.

mangio85

Car(s)
Passat b8 2015
Hi guys .... I have recently completed the lane assist retrofit ...
Can you advise me how to check if I have tja?
Under 60kmh the lane assist is orange...disabled.
I have dsg and passat b8.

Are you sure there is no need to recalibrate after flash with vcp?
Shonggie have you solved? Is this procedure very risky?
Grazie grazie.

o_a_ravi

Go Kart Newbie
TJA (if enabled) is basically, ACC + LaneAssist enabled in lower speeds., like i just mentioned, to test it. All you have to do is enable ACC at a speed greater than 60kmph on a clearly marked road., make sure the Lane Assist is working as well. When the traffic slows down, both ACC and Lane Assist should be active even at a lower speeds.

If your camera has not been enabled with TJA already, you need VCP to flash it. (as instructed by Tac on this thread). There is no need to re-calibration.