GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Alot of Oil on Sparkplug

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
I recently posted in the Eurodyne thread. Under moderate acceleration over the last few days, I've been getting a borderline misfire sensation. Today it came to a head and the car felt like it was under water. I'm on Brisk Silver er12s with about 3/4k on them. I pulled the plugs and and I've always had oil seepage on cylinder 4? (Furthest from timing cover) and today it was drenched to the point it was dripping off and fouled the plug. I'd like to say the leak is coming from above because I've always had a little on the threads but this time the porcelain and electrode was drenched as well. Anyone have an experience with this to this extent?

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
[/url][/IMG]

Last edited:

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Was the spark plug well full of oil when you went to pull the plug? Did the socket have oil all over it (kinda looks like it, but I'm not sure)? That would indicate a failure of the glue of the valve cover, which is also the camshaft cradle. Bitch of a job.

If there was no oil in the well, that would be an issue with a valve seal most likely. Also a bitch of a job. Far more than the valve cover.

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Was the spark plug well full of oil when you went to pull the plug? Did the socket have oil all over it (kinda looks like it, but I'm not sure)? That would indicate a failure of the glue of the valve cover, which is also the camshaft cradle. Bitch of a job.

If there was no oil in the well, that would be an issue with a valve seal most likely. Also a bitch of a job. Far more than the valve cover.

Pretty much everything was wet. The socket and even extension were soaked.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Well.... Alldata is saying it only bills out at 2 hours (no instructions), but also say it is serviced with the cylinder head...

Alright typical Alldata. Had to go to camshaft replacement to get the instructions and proper labor time. 9.8 hours. Requires you to lock the crankshaft and timing chain in place in order to remove the valve cover. Quite a few special tools are needed.

I haven't done a MK7, but I have done the job on a Volvo which also used the valve cover as the camshaft cradle. Honestly it's even more intense despite the fact that it has a timing belt instead of a timing chain. You have to screw these special tools into the spark plug sockets and then slowly loosen them when removing the cradle otherwise you snap the camshafts in two. You don't need to do that with the MK7, just loosen the bolts in the correct order after locking the chain.

Last edited:

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Well.... Alldata is saying it only bills out at 2 hours (no instructions), but also say it is serviced with the cylinder head...

Alright typical Alldata. Had to go to camshaft replacement to get the instructions and proper labor time. 9.8 hours. Requires you to lock the crankshaft and timing chain in place in order to remove the valve cover. Quite a few special tools are needed.

I haven't done a MK7, but I have done the job on a Volvo which also used the valve cover as the camshaft cradle. Honestly it's even more intense despite the fact that it has a timing belt instead of a timing chain. You have to screw these special tools into the spark plug sockets and then slowly loosen them when removing the cradle otherwise you snap the camshafts in two. You don't need to do that with the MK7, just loosen the bolts in the correct order after locking the chain.

Wow just wow...being that a gasket failure isn't caused by mods I wonder how this would go down. I'm not looking for handouts because I'm a firm believer in pay to play but this is just one more to the list I have going.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Wow just wow...being that a gasket failure isn't caused by mods I wonder how this would go down. I'm not looking for handouts because I'm a firm believer in pay to play but this is just one more to the list I have going.

It's not actually a gasket. It is glue, much the same as the glue used for the RMS that from factory isn't applied correctly or enough. This is the main reason for leakage.

The only other factor is if there is a major issue with the PCV system and boost or too much vacuum is getting into the system. That being said when this happens you have major other issues that are very noticeable. So very unlikely that this caused your issue.

If you are under warranty, and not tuned (on the off chance VW decided to decline warranty repair, if it is deemed such, due to TD1 flagging) I would take it to the dealer.

Edit: When I checked your sig (doesn't show when quoting) I see you are tuned. Depending on how you want to roll the dice, you could still try to see if VW will cover it. Def a long shot.

VAG_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed
Ya if the PCV is acting up it causes all sorts of idling issues, power issues, boost issues, maybe even noises and whistles when driving etc. Seems like what Wrath is saying is correct with the glue failing. Also seems like a bigger job than you would want to tackle at home due to the tools and care with timing needed.

good luck man

NBMK7GTI

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks guys I appreciate the input. Going to say it's almost safe to say it is indeed the sealant for the cam cap and engine cover. Luckily I found a reasonable service manager who aknowledged that this more likely than not would've happened if the car was stock as he's done this job now a few times on all stock cars. Gtis and Rs. So now hopefully I'll be good and can get this taken care of.

tommygun1

Passed Driver's Ed
Also interested... I had a noticeable amount of oil on the cylinder 1 plug when I changed mine recently. Thought it might be an issue but at 104k the car still runs as smooth as when I bought it.