GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

True ownership cost

cb1111

$30,771.86

Paid off

I should note I feel like that is missing a few payments, but every drop of gas, upgrade and repair is in that cost. Just subtract selling price for TCO.
And this just proves why the true cost of ownership means nothing.

Here, we have a number that is meaningless since we don't know:

What car
What mileage
How old

Oh, and a couple of payments aren't in there.

But hey, the poster bumped up his post count by one.

cb1111

I understand completely, but as a sales manager once told me, "all buyers are liars". You're watched when you pull up to see what you're driving. They always assume you're trading. They need to make a certain amount when they sell your trade. When I shopped I went to the two dealers in the area. Both sold their R's at MSRP, and both offered me the same in trade, so I really only had one variable since I paid cash.
Drive up in an Uber or Taxi - or have a friend drop you off (preferably with an UBER or Lyft sticker in the window).

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Sure you do-- IF you know that the price you are paying on the new car is not artificially raised in order to give you more on your trade in to make you think you're getting an incredible trade in offer.

Whenever I've traded a car in, I've negotiated the price of the new car first. I never tell the salesman I'm trading a car. Once I get the quote in hand, I come back the next day or couple of days and negotiate some more. Once I'm ready to deal, I then say I've changed my mind and want to trade in my car. The offer they give me on the trade--without changing the deal on the new car, is the value I assign to my trade in for cost of ownership calculations.
Honest/fair way to get number. I do it different in that I look up on several sites to get a realistic value of what my car is worth (honest appraisal & wholesale price). I was lucky that when I bought my GTI I got a trade in value on my Mustang before even going to the dealer. It was high wholesale for what it was. He just said "it has to be in the condition you describe" I agreed and said "OK, but if I show up and you say only $5K you have to explain what is not as I described" easy-peasy deal props to Valenti VW in Watertown CT.

Last edited:

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Honest/fair way to get number. I do it different in that I look up on several sites to get a realistic value of what my car is worth (honest appraisal & wholesale price). I was lucky that when I bought my GTI I got a trade in value on my Mustang before even going to the dealer. It was high wholesale for what it was. He just said "it has to be in the condition you describe" I agreed and said "OK, but if I show up and you say only $5K you have to explain what is not as I described" easy-peasy deal props to Valenti VW in Watertown CT.

O/T, but I just drove through that town this past weekend.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
And this just proves why the true cost of ownership means nothing.

Here, we have a number that is meaningless since we don't know:

What car
What mileage
How old

Oh, and a couple of payments aren't in there.

But hey, the poster bumped up his post count by one.

Lets see... if you looked at my post details, all of this information is there. Its to the top left of the post, you see where my name is? Yup, right under there.

But, my post was more to prove the point that it doesn't really matter. Everyone will be very different.

PS. Post count stops really counting after you have 100 posts. I have been on this forum for almost 4 years, and have half the posts you do. I am picky when I post, not spamming and trolling people.

But hey, post count +1 I guess.

GTI-Jay

Ready to race!
i'll give you a complete average. and that is 20k over 3 yrs. Here's how i got to those numbers.

over 3 yrs doing 30k mileage, fuel is approx 4k at 25mpg
insurance is $2000 over the 3yrs
Depreciation is about 13k (or was for me on my last gti)
Throw in some tires $600
$400 for oil / coolant / fluids.

cb1111

$30,771.86

Paid off

I should note I feel like that is missing a few payments, but every drop of gas, upgrade and repair is in that cost. Just subtract selling price for TCO.

Lets see... if you looked at my post details, all of this information is there. Its to the top left of the post, you see where my name is? Yup, right under there.

But, my post was more to prove the point that it doesn't really matter. Everyone will be very different.

PS. Post count stops really counting after you have 100 posts. I have been on this forum for almost 4 years, and have half the posts you do. I am picky when I post, not spamming and trolling people.

But hey, post count +1 I guess.
Really?

Where is mileage?Believe it or not, the information under a person's screen name isn't always updated, nor does it always refer to what is in the post.

Further "I feel like that is missing a few payments". what's a few? It has to be more than two because that would be a couple.

To determine total cost of ownership one needs:

Purchase price plus (or all monthly payments, upfront payments and leasing fees if leasing)
Gas
Repairs
Maintenance
Insurance
Registration
Taxes

Subtract

Selling/trade in price (not required if leasing but add any lease turn in fees to the leasing fees)

That number, divided by years is cost per year
That number, divided by miles is cost per mile

If any of the above are missing then you can't get total cost of ownership.

A dollar figure, stating it includes gas, repairs (and upgrades - which is completely personal so it is useless) but missing a few payments and doesn't include the selling price is meaningless.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Really?

Where is mileage?Believe it or not, the information under a person's screen name isn't always updated, nor does it always refer to what is in the post.

Further "I feel like that is missing a few payments". what's a few? It has to be more than two because that would be a couple.

Purchase price plus (or all monthly payments, upfront payments and leasing fees if leasing)
Gas
Repairs
Maintenance
Insurance
Registration
Taxes

Subtract

Selling/trade in price (not required if leasing but add any lease turn in fees to the leasing fees)

A dollar figure, stating it includes gas, repairs (and upgrades - which is completely personal so it is useless) but missing a few payments and doesn't include the selling price is meaningless.

Just because you are being a twat: You don't need mileage to calculate TCO.. only if you want a CPM. So, as I stated before, if you cared to open your eyes and take a look at the information below this super awesome username, you would have seen the information your heart could have desired. But that is beside the point, as you dont need Year/Make/Model to calculate TCO.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Gas
Repairs
Maintenance
Insurance
Registration
Taxes

Subtract

Phew... glad I had all that (well, except for tax/reg, but I factored sales tax indirectly in my initial purchase price):

When I factored in maintenance, insurance, gas, etc, it was right around the $3500k/year mark