GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI owner thinking of swapping to a Golf R

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
So, long story short, helped a good friend of mine buy a 2012 Golf R. I had a chance to drive it a few times in both wet and dry conditions. Compared to my current gti (even though it has the performance package), well... There's no comparison for traction!

Drove on the same road back to back. My car spins even under light load... His car just hooks up and GOES.

My current future plans for my GTI includes a stage 2 tune maybe even a is38 with the mods/tune. After really thinking about it I'm seriously thinking about trading in for a mk7 (my '16-' 17) Golf R since it'll have the power that I'm looking for stock.

Has anyone else here ever been in my shoes?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Its a $8k-$10k diff normally new or used.

However the Golf R should hold its value better.

Only you can make that call.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Its a $8k-$10k diff normally new or used.

However the Golf R should hold its value better.

Only you can make that call.
The way that I see it is that if I want to make my move I should do it soon so to not completely loose my butt in the deal. I'm pretty certain that if I play hard ball and stick to my guns with numbers I'll be able to make out pretty well money wise in the end.

fnatic

I have both mk7 gti and R, honestly, r is better for a daily drive. I'm living in brisbane in AU, more steep roads, especailly on slippery road, the ESP seems may friend all the way for my GTI and also when you push half of the acceleration, fuel cut-off really an annoying thing. Whille for the R, much much better.

Cytokine

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 LSG 6MT Golf R
Do it! Did it.

Came from an E90 BMW RWD with sport package, FWD with too much power drove me crazy, even with proper tyres. Super happy now. Overall, the power difference is not that great, but the traction makes the difference.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Just depends on where you live and how you drive. With my summer tires traction isn't an issue after you're in second. My daily commute doesn't allow or demand full throttle in 1st gear so an R is kinda useless for me (for the price gap that is)

Engine/trans/dog bone mounts (BFI is the only option IMO) is a must for any gti to hook well

bayarea7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'15 RSM 2 door S 6M
Go for it if you really want one. If you daily drive, 90% of the time you won't notice the difference in my opinion. If you truly push the car and go in the twisties/do track/autox, then it's a reasonable upgrade

Misshe11

Passed Driver's Ed
I traded a 13 GTI for a 17 Golf R... Mainly to have AWD and a manual... The R is by far a better car, rides like a more grownup vehicle than the GTI (which was good, but a little springier/dartier I guess?).

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Quick update, test drove a fully loaded 2016 Lapiz blue R with DSG at my local car max. Wasn't feeling the price at $36k. But I really liked it Much more than I thought I would being a manual transmission guy my whole life.

Loved that I could nail the gas in 1st with no slip... The midrange to higher end pull that it had was incredible. Even the stock exhaust sounded just right!

DCC was a welcome addition as well. Comfort when on long trips and Race when you get frisky. Race mode really sharpened it up. Though not to the point of it being harsh :cool:

The only thing that I might upgrade shortly after buying is the engine mounts and downsize to 17" or 18" wheels.

We'll see how my numbers look before I commit to this...

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Also the drivers seat was very comfortable and much more adjustable than my GTI's seat.

And that leather smell smelled just like a Audi or BMW :cool:

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
Quick update, test drove a fully loaded 2016 Lapiz blue R with DSG at my local car max. Wasn't feeling the price at $36k. But I really liked it Much more than I thought I would being a manual transmission guy my whole life.

Loved that I could nail the gas in 1st with no slip... The midrange to higher end pull that it had was incredible. Even the stock exhaust sounded just right!

DCC was a welcome addition as well. Comfort when on long trips and Race when you get frisky. Race mode really sharpened it up. Though not to the point of it being harsh :cool:

The only thing that I might upgrade shortly after buying is the engine mounts and downsize to 17" or 18" wheels.

We'll see how my numbers look before I commit to this...

My '17 R was $39.5k, for $36k why would you buy a year older used car?

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
My '17 R was $39.5k, for $36k why would you buy a year older used car?
Nooooo....
For that price I'd just get a new one. I went to carmax because they are typically no pressure for test drives.

I'm looking around and seeing $30k is roughly the asking price for 2016's. I have a feeling that once the 2018s start rolling out it should bring the price down a little more too :cool:

hakwuzhere

Passed Driver's Ed
Nooooo....
For that price I'd just get a new one. I went to carmax because they are typically no pressure for test drives.

I'm looking around and seeing $30k is roughly the asking price for 2016's. I have a feeling that once the 2018s start rolling out it should bring the price down a little more too :cool:

Yea, that makes more sense, I had to test drive a '16R at a Carmax before picking up my car.