GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 07-16-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
ReadTheBook

Drives: '90 Cabby, CSG '17 GTI Sport
A-pillar rattle/buzz... Finally fixed!

I have been unwilling to remove the A-pillar trim to chase a rattle. I'd heard it was a pain in the ass, and it was a bit, but I caved. As nice and helpful as they usually are, my dealer is explicit that they have to be able to verify the rattle before they're going to go chasing it. For me, this rattle/buzz was intermittent and very frustrating.

Here's a video of the rattle/buzz, I shot this in my Golf before I got my GTI, yes, both cars have experienced the same issue, as does my wife's MK7 Golf though not as badly. https://youtu.be/XfQUCNECbUU

Here's a gallery of how I fixed it. Pardon the sloppy markup, I did everything on my phone.
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/kmxko

Hope this can be a help to someone out there. This buzz drove me nuts.
ReadTheBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 01:10 AM   #2
TheWombat

Drives: Golf R MKVII 2016 manual
Wow, that's pretty impressive. Nice illustration of the disassembly and the fix.
TheWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:34 AM   #3
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Well done! Really good visual explanation. I wish I could do as "sloppy" a mark up as that; seriously, outstanding.

Getting experience, removing things and the confidence it provides not to mention actually fixing a problem is quite rewarding.
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
KevinC

Drives: '16 Golf R, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Very interesting. My A-pillar cover on the driver's side was warped and ill-fitting from the get-go. A year later I finally had the dealer replace it under warranty this week. I had a nasty rattle in it shortly after leaving the dealership. I figured crap, gonna have to take it back and have them open it up and secure whatever was loose. But now it's been dead silent since, as if something was loose but settled into a spot where it no longer moves. So for now, I'll leave well enough alone.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 AM   #5
ReadTheBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Very interesting. My A-pillar cover on the driver's side was warped and ill-fitting from the get-go. A year later I finally had the dealer replace it under warranty this week. I had a nasty rattle in it shortly after leaving the dealership. I figured crap, gonna have to take it back and have them open it up and secure whatever was loose. But now it's been dead silent since, as if something was loose but settled into a spot where it no longer moves. So for now, I'll leave well enough alone.
Strange. There isn't really much of anything inside there that could be rattling. The main wiring harness is very well secured. The cable for the tweeter is not long enough to have enough slack to buzz against anything. This noise specifically comes from plastic on metal at a certain road noise frequencies, best I can tell.

Hope it doesn't come back for you.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
ReadTheBook

Happy to report this is still quiet after a few days of having the fix in place.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #7
ReadTheBook

Definitely still 100% silent after ~6 weeks.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #8
ReadTheBook

Almost 4 months, no return.
Old 10-30-2017, 11:18 PM   #9
Trancebolt

Drives: '17 MK7 GTI Sport, '12 E350 Bluetec
pesky sound, i have it in my car but wont do this myself... just going to show the dealer... =D wwarranntyyy
Trancebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #10
ReadTheBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trancebolt View Post
pesky sound, i have it in my car but wont do this myself... just going to show the dealer... =D wwarranntyyy
Yeah I had my car into the dealer twice for this and they could not replicate and could not hear it when I was trying to point it out to them while I was driving.

Simply took it upon myself to do it later After I figured out exactly where it was coming from which took quite a while on its own. It was easier than fighting with them.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:23 AM   #11
Trancebolt

Damn i expected that from them too... thought showing them the pics would hel

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 10-31-2017, 04:09 AM   #12
Genegenie

Drives: Reflex Silver 1.4TSi Match Ed Dover Wheels 5Dr
Well done to the OP, the men in white coats can stand down afterall. Such things would drive me crackers too. Among the very many rattles on my last Golf, 1.4SE Mk7, was the A-pillars on the exterior where they blend into the bonnet / hood, also rattled. May be worth checking out, or leave well alone if no issues....

http://lhtperformance.net/
Genegenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 05:23 AM   #13
Slapshot

Drives: 2017 VW GTI Sport DSG (bone stock!)
I have a rattle in my right side A pillar. When I take it in for my first free oil change I’m going to have the dealer look at it. Not super bad just kinda annoying.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #14
zero10

Drives: 2017 Golf
I just wanted to say THANKS! I have had a rattle coming from near the speaker of the passenger side a-pillar and had given up looking for disassembly pictures of the a-pillar when I stumbled on this thread and it's excellent pictorial guide!

The local dealership has straight up said they hate chasing rattles and don't want to do it, but agree they will if I "really want them to".... not the attitude I want from the techs who would be pulling interior pieces out so I figured I would just chase the noise myself. Should be an easy fix with this guide!

Now if only somebody had a guide for fixing the rattling noise when I set the vent selector knob to floor/defrost and have the fan between 2 and 4
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #15
Trancebolt

HAha im a bit apprehensive about RE-attaching the clips and pillar. =D There is no step by step for that and im half retarded when it comes working on cars. Great with computers, not with cars...

Mine is real bad. right hand side pillar, super rattley over any kind of bump or road markers.
Old 11-01-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
zero10

Drives: 2017 Golf
Quote:
HAha im a bit apprehensive about RE-attaching the clips and pillar. =D There is no step by step for that and im half retarded when it comes working on cars. Great with computers, not with cars...

Mine is real bad. right hand side pillar, super rattley over any kind of bump or road markers.
Fair point - that part is not covered. I was hoping with the trim out of the way I could free the clips from the sheet metal and re-install them on the plastic trim, then press the whole thing back in place. I just blindly assumed that's how the car would have been put together in the first place - maybe that's not right?

Mine only rattles on certain roads and certain times under certain temperatures, which of course makes me much crazier about it because I know the dealership will never be able to duplicate it so it'l haunt me forever unless I fix it myself.
zero10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:26 AM   #17
ReadTheBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero10 View Post
I just wanted to say THANKS! I have had a rattle coming from near the speaker of the passenger side a-pillar and had given up looking for disassembly pictures of the a-pillar when I stumbled on this thread and it's excellent pictorial guide!

The local dealership has straight up said they hate chasing rattles and don't want to do it, but agree they will if I "really want them to".... not the attitude I want from the techs who would be pulling interior pieces out so I figured I would just chase the noise myself. Should be an easy fix with this guide!

Now if only somebody had a guide for fixing the rattling noise when I set the vent selector knob to floor/defrost and have the fan between 2 and 4
You are welcome. This one was by FAR my most annoying rattle.

Quote:

Basically you just start from the bottom. Youíll see how you have to twist the trim to get it out. Just reverse that twist. Itís pretyy flexible stuff. Then once youíre lined up just push and pop the clips back in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero10 View Post
Fair point - that part is not covered. I was hoping with the trim out of the way I could free the clips from the sheet metal and re-install them on the plastic trim, then press the whole thing back in place. I just blindly assumed that's how the car would have been put together in the first place - maybe that's not right?

Mine only rattles on certain roads and certain times under certain temperatures, which of course makes me much crazier about it because I know the dealership will never be able to duplicate it so it'l haunt me forever unless I fix it myself.
You def want to put the clips back on the plastic.