GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Upgrading Stock Sound with Helix Sound System

CooperMini40

I'm summarizing my experience upgrading the stock sound system with the VW Helix Sound System kit in my 2016 Golf S. I'm hoping to pull all the needed info into one post for anyone wanting to do the upgrade.

• What It Is
    The Helix System comes with an amplifier, a subwoofer, and the necessary cabling. The amp and sub replace the small spare tire in the Golf's trunk, though people have found ways to keep their spare. Power and control cables are re-routed from the head unit located in the glove box to the amp/sub in the trunk then back into the head unit. This is handled by the included wiring harness that must be run along the door sills on the passenger side of the car.​
  • How Much Work Is It To Install?
    If you're a cautious first-timer like me, the whole process should take about 4 hours. It's not quite "plug-and-play," but there is no need to cut and crimp your own wiring since everything is included (except for some simple tools). The installation requires removing the head unit in the glove box, removing panels that run along the door sills on the passenger side of the car, and removing the entire rear seat. With the right tools, it was not very difficult to remove everything (the rear seat simply pops out). However, re-installing the panels and putting back the head unit was somewhat of a challenge.​
  • Where To Buy / Cost
    I purchased the system for a total of $314 ($254 plus $60 shipping) from VWPartsCenter.Net. I also had to purchase the tools listed below for roughly $50, and renting the amplifier programming dongle from users in this forum costs between $20-$35 dollars. Total price: about $400.​
  • Installation Instructions
    Thanks so much to Kevin808 for his walkthrough videos parts 1 and 2. This whole project could not have been done without them. I watched this over and over until I memorized the steps. The instructions that came with the kit were confusing and ultimately useless.​
  • Tools Needed
    For panel removal you'll need something like this. For head unit removal, you will need something like this (but only two are needed). For one step during the wiring process, you will also need a terminal release tool as seen in this video. I did not have one, so instead used a tiny flat-head screwdriver and alternately poked the left and right sides of the terminal connector to release the wire. The tool definitely would have made my job easier.​
  • Tips/Gotchas
    Disconnect the car battery! At one point, you will be removing the head unit power cables from their terminal connector, exposing bare wire ends that, if touching, will zap a fuse.
    Don't be afraid to pop out the rear seat. It takes some force.​
    Make sure you have the tools mentioned above.​
    The head unit removal tools will be stuck once inserted. This is normal. To release them, simply press down on the spring loaded mechanisms on either side of the head unit, then slide the tools back out without using any force.​
    The door sill panels are easy to remove as you simply need to pop out the tabs from their slots. However, there is one aluminum tab on the kick panel (the big side panel at your foot below the glove box) that easily slides out of the panel and stays stuck in its slot. Pop it out of its socket and place back into the kick panel prior to re-installing the panel. I had to use this tool to pop it out of its socket.​
    When re-inserting the head unit, pull on the wiring harness at the back to remove slack. Push the loose wiring connectors into the space above the head unit if you can.​
  • Flashing (Coding) the Amp
    After the physical installation, you will still need to flash the amp with the correct sound profile for your car. This dongle is needed. Since it is a "dealer only" device (and costs roughly $170), and since most dealers either don't seem to know about this or have inconsistent pricing for the programming service, there are a couple of threads in this forum for renting it out so you can flash the amp yourself. Is this step necessary? From my experience, absolutely (see below). See this thread or this thread for rental details.​
    The steps for coding the amp take only a few seconds and are as follows.

(1) Plug dongle into amp without SD card inserted.
    (2) Turn on radio.
    (3) Insert SD card into dongle.
    (4) Turn knob on dongle until your car's code shows (For a 4-door Mk7 Golf, the code is 57).
    (5) Press down on the knob and wait a few seconds for the flashing to complete.

The codes:

• Sound Comparision - Before and After
    Before installation: shrill, ear-piercing upper mids that could not be remedied by adjusting the EQ.​
    After installation: the music definitely sounded amplified and a little better, with deep bass and crystal clear high frequencies. The high mids were still shrill and the bass sounded a bit distant and laggy.​
    After programming the amp: much better, balanced sound. The mids are now smoother and the bass sounds more present.​
    I detailed my sound comparison in this post. Despite the amount of work, this whole endeavor was definitely worth it.​

Last edited:

brandofo

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Great post. I'm purchasing the Helix sub this week but I may let the dealer install it. Makes me nervous to have then rip out all those panels but I'll hope for the best.

Framoman

Sorry to dig up an old thread!

I have been struggling to find one in the UK new/used, but I have had an offer to buy a used one for £250. I might be able to haggle on this price a bit, but what are your opinions? Is that a decent price, and is the Helix sub worth it in general anyway??

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32

I have been struggling to find one in the UK new/used, but I have had an offer to buy a used one for £250. I might be able to haggle on this price a bit, but what are your opinions? Is that a decent price, and is the Helix sub worth it in general anyway??

Buy it.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

I paid about $300 after rebate for mine this year (for a new one), so 250 GBP sounds about tight, as long as it's in as good as new condition.

mctriple

Passed Driver's Ed
Great post. I installed the Helix box saturday (in a mk7.5 4-door) and am waiting for the rented dongle to arrive. It immediately sounded better just after installing, but I'm looking forward to even further improvements after programming. Sounds like it makes a big difference compared to whatever program it's set to out of the box, at least for mk7 4-doors.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Great post. I installed the Helix box saturday (in a mk7.5 4-door) and am waiting for the rented dongle to arrive. It immediately sounded better just after installing, but I'm looking forward to even further improvements after programming. Sounds like it makes a big difference compared to whatever program it's set to out of the box, at least for mk7 4-doors.

It's not programmed at all from the factory.

The programming really transforms it. And it biases the effect to the driver-- when you sit in the driver's seat, it sounds like a stage. When you're in the passenger seat, you just hear the L/R speakers like in most setups with no "imaging". Has to do with the time shift ability of the DSP to compensate for distance delta between the L/R speakers and the driver's ears.