GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 12-05-2017, 02:45 AM   #103
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNeedMorePSI View Post
So I bought these like 11 hours ago and they already shipped. Good looking out bro. I've been stock suspension for 54k miles.
thought about them for myself, but really want the adjustable damping. Least I could do is point it out.
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 05:39 AM   #104
bpastre90

Drives: 2015 Mk7
So these look like solo werks? Has anyone ran these dinan coils on the mk7? Or if there is any conparison.

2015 Mk7 / Photographer
bpastre90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:24 AM   #105
snobrdrdan

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpastre90 View Post
So these look like solo werks? Has anyone ran these dinan coils on the mk7? Or if there is any conparison.
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw them...at least the struts & shocks...the springs look different.
They're probably just sourced from the same supplier & a Dinan sticker slapped on them
Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 PM   #106
2slowvw

Drives: 2016 GTI S
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
Exactly what I was thinking when I saw them...at least the struts & shocks...the springs look different.
They're probably just sourced from the same supplier & a Dinan sticker slapped on them
Springs are definitely different hice the lowering height differences, housing bolt brackets look different. Im sure there are more differences but the colors is what draws the similarities. Who knows could be the same but i'm pretty sure they are different.

Cheap, fast, or reliable. Pick two.
2slowvw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:56 PM   #107
MonkeyMD

Drives: 2016 VW Golf Tsi S Manual
Quote:
Quote:
Agreed, they look very similar minus the spring.
Tried to do some research, but couldn't find much.
Obviously, they are popular with the BMW crowd.
Only info I could find was on their forum. So excited to believe the following post that Dinan coilovers are made by Dnan, and maybe for BMW, they are, but these look too similar to Solowerks to not be rebranded
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1252245

I guess at the end of the day, got a $50 discount and free shipping instead of the 50%.

I can live with that as my first option was Bilstein B12 Pro from overseas which would have been over $1k

One question I have is it worth getting camber plates if you only daily drive. Or what other option is there to get more front camber
Not going to do CS swivels.
How much do LCA change camber.

I know people will ask, why more camber if you don't track.
2 reasons
1) hate the push I feel and lack of instant turn in stock
I know a rsb will help, but would rather more camber and less stiffness
2) hate the look of high camber rear, low camber front
MonkeyMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:12 PM   #108
iNeedMorePSI

Drives: 2015 GTI S DSG
Dinan has always worked with Koni, Bilstein and/or KW on their coilover/cup kit offering. Why would anyone say or think these are like some cheap china coils is beyond me?
iNeedMorePSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #109
mursepaolo

Drives: 17 GTI SE 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogokin View Post
I rerouted the harness to the front of the car now. instead of going under the intake tube, it goes to the front of the engine. I also flipped the box around. I did think about mounting the box somewhere around the firewall...but this thing is enclosed inside a little plastic box. I wanted to put it somewhere where there isn't as much heat...so I just zipped it to the ECU harness

So far, I haven't had any Bluetooth connection problems.

I went this route on mine as well and mounted on the same place.
IE intake | CTS catted DP, TIE, shifter bushings, FMIC | BMS JB4, clutch stop | deAuto tail LEDs | ED springs, RSB | Eurocode F/R chassis brace | ECS rear subframe brace, pendulum mount | S3 Euro SS | Konig Ultraform | Michelin PSS
mursepaolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 04:40 PM   #110
MonkeyMD

Quote:
Dinan has always worked with Koni, Bilstein and/or KW on their coilover/cup kit offering. Why would anyone say or think these are like some cheap china coils is beyond me?
Hope you're right.
Like I said, haven't been able to find any solid info. Just heresy.

Regardless, I am ecstatic, especially coming from stock Golf suspension
Old 12-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #111
bpastre90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyMD View Post
Hope you're right.
Like I said, haven't been able to find any solid info. Just heresy.

Regardless, I am ecstatic, especially coming from stock Golf suspension
Same boat. Didn't find any solid info but I'm on stock suspension with lowering springs at 50k miles. So its time to replace them anyways. Hope they are great haha.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

2015 Mk7 / Photographer
Old 12-05-2017, 11:22 PM   #112
odessa.filez

Drives: 2016 GSW 1.8T S
regarding camber plates:

I have the Vorshlag plates and they are excellent, however...

I would wait until you get your coilovers. Depending on how much you lower, you may add neg camber with lowering...and I would still proceed with caution.

Are your outside front tire edges wearing faster?

also...I'm on stock springs and the springs prohibit full adjustment on the plates, only 3/5ths. I'm considering a spring change to free more range up. (I autocross and at -2, I still have abnormal outside tire wear).

I like the plates anyhow, but their advantage is adjustment. I can have one setting for the street and one for autocross (though range is limited, as mentioned).

Are you on 17s, 18s, 19s wheels? If so, your ride is going to firm up some with coils. Wait and see what that's like. Because....

Camber plates will amplify road noise and bump nvh.

I'm on 15 inch wheels. On grand touring all seasons 195/65/15, the camber plates added some needed steering feel and the ride is civilized on stock springs.

At autocross, I run 195/55/15, 260 treadwear federals at 42psi. The sidewall for this aspect would be comparable to street diameter tires on 17s, and the ride is rather edgy even on stock springs. After an event, I'm happy to switch back to my street tires. That's my preferences and some people run much stiffer setups than me.

You might get some improvement in turn in with a stiffer rear sway, I would try that first.

Last edited by odessa.filez; 12-06-2017 at 12:10 AM.
odessa.filez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:59 PM   #113
snobrdrdan

Drives: a VW
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Uhh....just look at their MK6 coilovers:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...d-vw-vehicles/

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...etta-mk6-50mm/

SoloWerks:

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...SABEgIBL_D_BwE

If that doesn't seal the deal that they're just rebranded....I don't know what would

On the MK7....same shocks & struts or "similar construction" (as Solo) & perches/dust boots/bump stops...different springs though

Last edited by snobrdrdan; 12-06-2017 at 12:17 AM.
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:00 AM   #114
Chogokin

Drives: GTI Sport/MK6 JSW/Banshee Spitfire/Cervelo S2
I saw some promotion for Solowerks coilovers for $450 + a $50 rebate on Vortex.
Chogokin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #115
Chogokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mursepaolo View Post
I went this route on mine as well and mounted on the same place.
I might try and route the harness another way. I zipped it to a coolant line (which I thought is a vacuum line). The coolant line felt pretty hot to the touch.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:29 AM   #116
MonkeyMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by odessa.filez View Post
regarding camber plates:

I have the Vorshlag plates and they are excellent, however...

I would wait until you get your coilovers. Depending on how much you lower, you may add neg camber with lowering...and I would still proceed with caution.

Are your outside front tire edges wearing faster?

also...I'm on stock springs and the springs prohibit full adjustment on the plates, only 3/5ths. I'm considering a spring change to free more range up. (I autocross and at -2, I still have abnormal outside tire wear).

I like the plates anyhow, but their advantage is adjustment. I can have one setting for the street and one for autocross (though range is limited, as mentioned).

Are you on 17s, 18s, 19s wheels? If so, your ride is going to firm up some with coils. Wait and see what that's like. Because....

Camber plates will amplify road noise and bump nvh.

I'm on 15 inch wheels. On grand touring all seasons 195/65/15, the camber plates added some needed steering feel and the ride is civilized on stock springs.

At autocross, I run 195/55/15, 260 treadwear federals at 42psi. The sidewall for this aspect would be comparable to street diameter tires on 17s, and the ride is rather edgy even on stock springs. After an event, I'm happy to switch back to my street tires. That's my preferences and some people run much stiffer setups than me.

You might get some improvement in turn in with a stiffer rear sway, I would try that first.
Thanks for the feedback. Thinking I'll go Powerflex adjustable camber bushing for now which will supposedly give 0.5 degree more camber.

Running 18" wheels. Wear is pretty even so far. Will double check tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:47 AM   #117
bpastre90

Quote:
Uhh....just look at their MK6 coilovers:

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...d-vw-vehicles/

https://www.dinancars.com/product/d1...etta-mk6-50mm/

SoloWerks:

https://www.moddedeuros.com/products...SABEgIBL_D_BwE

If that doesn't seal the deal that they're just rebranded....I don't know what would

On the MK7....same shocks & struts or "similar construction" (as Solo) & perches/dust boots/bump stops...different springs though
I mean if we got solowerks then we got solowerks haha. I dont see why a company like dinan would just rebrand something. This is just me believeing in a company to do right. Now if this was a company who started out then i can understand. But the people who bought them will have the real reviews and the outcome from install to break in to to some possible daily commutes. I found posts in to regards to BMW dealers claiming they are made by kW... But obviously this is a different outcome since dinan responded.

I did call dinan today into regards to them having a eBay store. Because with a 42 rating I was doubtful. They did claim that it was their store and that they were in development for Audi and vw stuff until things didn't go as planned (guessing apr). But for this price it may be possible that its a come up.. Who knows

2015 Mk7 / Photographer
Old 12-06-2017, 02:58 AM   #118
Chogokin

Quote:
I mean if we got solowerks then we got solowerks haha. I dont see why a company like dinan would just rebrand something. This is just me believeing in a company to do right. Now if this was a company who started out then i can understand. But the people who bought them will have the real reviews and the outcome from install to break in to to some possible daily commutes. I found posts in to regards to BMW dealers claiming they are made by kW... But obviously this is a different outcome since dinan responded.

I did call dinan today into regards to them having a eBay store. Because with a 42 rating I was doubtful. They did claim that it was their store and that they were in development for Audi and vw stuff until things didn't go as planned (guessing apr). But for this price it may be possible that its a come up.. Who knows

It's probably more cost effective for them to outsource. I would imagine the cost would be incredibly high for them to produce their own shocks and struts.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2017, 03:04 AM   #119
bpastre90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chogokin View Post
It's probably more cost effective for them to outsource. I would imagine the cost would be incredibly high for them to produce their own shocks and struts.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
To outsource shocks and struts I believe because you can't just jump into something like that. But I don't think they would just take solowerks and call them theirs? Or obviously I'm completely wrong lol.

2015 Mk7 / Photographer