GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires / Suspension / Brakes / Chassis - Sponsored by The Tire Rack

The Tire Rack
Welcome to the Wheels and Tires section of GOLFMK7. This area is proudly sponsored by The Tire Rack.

If you are making a purchase from TireRack, please help support GOLFMK7 by clicking through to them with this link or clicking on the Tire Rack banner ad. Doing so helps give back to GOLFMK7 so we can keep this place running!

Old 12-20-2017, 02:44 PM   #86
MUFC6

Drives: '17 GTI SE DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
I found them, finally, in the order guide....they were available on the 2013 Passats briefly. Maybe the 2012's too?
Page 4: https://www.emichvw.com/assets/misc/...2013Passat.pdf

The tires will be slightly taller, again, just like Shane's pic above

But yeah they'll fit.
Pics of the fitment with the similar spec Passat "Sonoma" wheel...just watch the wheel weights when they get balanced:

Awesome. Thanks so much!

I used to have an MKV a while ago and forgot how helpful the community here is. Nice to be back!
MUFC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:21 AM   #87
hypergti

Drives: 2017 GTI SE
17 vs 18

I just upgraded from my 2012 GTI S to a 2017 GTI SE. I used to run the 205/55/16's in the winter. Since the SE has the PP, I believe the smallest I can run is the 225/45/17's?? If this is the case, is it worth it to purchase the 17's or should I just go with winter tires that are 225/40/18 on the OE rims? I live in upstate NY and we generally do not get storms with deep snow most of the time.
hypergti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:54 PM   #88
erikweber321

215/55/16 steelies with pirelli sotozero normals

They've done amazing this summer. The lean from 16" sucks but I ate up 4-5inches of snow and was never stuck. Sure spinning and eating snow but moving and no stuck SUV and never a feeling of 'oh crap I'm gonna get stuck"

Wet is great

Ice is ice. Not great but never stuck and spinning.

I like these tires cuz they eat snow up

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
erikweber321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #89
Verichai

Drives: '17 GTI
I was considering Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on Platinum Flux black-painted wheels. Will this work? Do other owners recommend a package or getting a set of OEM wheels and putting winter tires on?

year: 2017
make: VW
model:GTI
tires only or winter package: Winter tires and painted wheels that will clear the larger brake calipers of the Performance Pack.
Verichai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:57 PM   #90
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI AB (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
I was considering Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT on Platinum Flux black-painted wheels. Will this work? Do other owners recommend a package or getting a set of OEM wheels and putting winter tires on?

year: 2017
make: VW
model:GTI
tires only or winter package: Winter tires and painted wheels that will clear the larger brake calipers of the Performance Pack.
I have had bad experiences with aftermarket wheels during winter in my previous cars so i prefer OEM wheels. Stock Austin wheels take the abuse very well and you can find them for a great deal in the forum.
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #91
Verichai

I ended up buying a set of 17" GOAL wheels. I am still looking for the right winter tire.
I'll be using the 18" Austin wheels with summer tires.

I think I narrowed it down to either ordering the Sotozero 3 from Tire Rack or having a local shop install a set of Nankang SV2 tires. About the same price all said and done.

Thoughts?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:39 PM   #92
Shane_Anigans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verichai View Post
I think I narrowed it down to either ordering the Sotozero 3 from Tire Rack or having a local shop install a set of Nankang SV2 tires. About the same price all said and done.
After a few months, I'm a fan of Michelin X-ice. We've had some medium-heavy snows this year (nothing like we were getting back in 2014), but the city doesn't seem to care about plowing my neighborhood (especially the side streets), and I live on a hill, but they always get me home.

Compared to the Blizzaks I had on my old car, the Michelin seem much quieter and have a nicer ride, though that may be due in part to the excess sidewall I have from buying a set of used tires that aren't the right size.

Honestly though, if you don't drive a whole lot in winter and just need to make sure that you'll get where you're doing, I'm sure the Nankangs will do the job.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:14 AM   #93
Verichai

Appreciate the Michelin X-ice recco. I'll look at those.
Old 02-19-2018, 03:55 AM   #94
burgerkong

Drives: 7.5R
OEM VW Motorsport wheels (ATS GTR) 18x7.5 ET51 with 10mm H&R spacers front and rear (offset effectively ET41).

burgerkong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:04 PM   #95
e-Christian

Drives: e-Golf
Here is my e-Golf with 18" VW Thunder with 225/40R18 Nokian winter tire
Attached Images

e-Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 04:36 AM   #96
Colowyo

Drives: 2016 Autobahn
Just had the Michelin Ice-X's put on. I can't say enough good about this tire. It's a completely different car. Granted I had Atlas brand sport tires that the dealership put on it.
Colowyo is offline   Reply With Quote