GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 03-17-2018, 01:43 PM   #69
johng.wissig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armystrong View Post
I have a 2015 and haven't had any issues, mainly because I seldom open it. But I am hesitant to get the sunroof TSB done. Did you ever get the TSB done? How often do you lube the rear seal of the sunroof? Any other suggestions for preventive measures? We moved to southern Alabama from Seattle WA where it rained daily. But now I will be dealing with heat.
I also have a 2015. Se, 2 door. I have
No issues. I wonder how many with 2 doors don't. Seems 2 less doors would mean a much stiffer body. Less flex, less noise.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
johng.wissig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:54 PM   #70
grizzog

Drives: MK7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techno Duck View Post
hawker800mech, thanks for your suggestion. Added some felt as directed and its nice and quiet... i love the car again

The source of the rubbing sound is this channel that the sunroof glass rests in. The channel is a fairly flexible piece of plastic. On the underside of the sunroof, is a ridge that lays in this groove when the roof is shut. The ridge has a rubberized coating on it.
Thanks for the detailed pictures! Did this last night and it worked great.
grizzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:54 AM   #71
ohsnapzombies

Drives: MK7.5GTI
Quote:
hawker800mech, thanks for your suggestion. Added some felt as directed and its nice and quiet... i love the car again

The source of the rubbing sound is this channel that the sunroof glass rests in. The channel is a fairly flexible piece of plastic. On the underside of the sunroof, is a ridge that lays in this groove when the roof is shut. The ridge has a rubberized coating on it. See pictures below...

Purchased adhesive backed felt sheet. $5, Amazon Prime.

Slide back the roof so its open by aproximately 3-4 inches. This will raise the glass about an inch and give you more clearance to place the felt on the plastic piece from inside the car, by reaching in between the glass and the mesh sun shade.

I cut a patch of the felt about the size of a business card. Reaching through the driver or passenger window, i stuck my hand between the glass and the mesh sun shield frame and stuck the adhesive backed felt to the black plastic piece.

The first two pictures below show from inside the car, looking back. The last picture is from the side with how i placed the felt. I put a piece on the passenger and driver side of the black plastic piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker800mech View Post
Nice! Glad to hear the noise is gone.
Thanks to both of you.

Finally got around to this. Used some extreme outdoor fuzzy Velcro as it was thicker than any felt i found. Car is nice and quiet now.

Hopefully the Velcro stays put and the glue doesnít melt off during the summer.
ohsnapzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:48 AM   #72
hawker800mech

Drives: MK7 GTI Autobahn, PP, DSG, DCC, LP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsnapzombies View Post
Thanks to both of you.

Finally got around to this. Used some extreme outdoor fuzzy Velcro as it was thicker than any felt i found. Car is nice and quiet now.

Hopefully the Velcro stays put and the glue doesnít melt off during the summer.
Mine will be going through itís second summer in NC. Itís a great car, when itís not rattling.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:19 PM   #73
Ajaxthemute

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Quote:

The source of the rubbing sound is this channel that the sunroof glass rests in. The channel is a fairly flexible piece of plastic. On the underside of the sunroof, is a ridge that lays in this groove when the roof is shut. The ridge has a rubberized coating on it. See pictures below...

Purchased adhesive backed felt sheet. $5, Amazon Prime.

Slide back the roof so its open by aproximately 3-4 inches. This will raise the glass about an inch and give you more clearance to place the felt on the plastic piece from inside the car, by reaching in between the glass and the mesh sun shade.

I cut a patch of the felt about the size of a business card. Reaching through the driver or passenger window, i stuck my hand between the glass and the mesh sun shield frame and stuck the adhesive backed felt to the black plastic piece.

The first two pictures below show from inside the car, looking back. The last picture is from the side with how i placed the felt. I put a piece on the passenger and driver side of the black plastic piece.

Sunroof just started squeaking. Going to give this a go. Thank you.
Ajaxthemute is offline   Reply With Quote