GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #18
SRGTD
Senior Member
 
Drives: Polo GTI
Location: UK
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRGTD View Post
I was also wondering why the OP would want to turn them off, when theyíre there to increase your carís visibility to others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs2online View Post
Well I never need day time running lights. I just would the option of turning them off. And if you can't see
A 2ton vehicle on the road. You probably shouldn't be driving

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Iím perfectly able to see a two ton vehicle, but why make it more difficult for the two ton vehicle, or any other vehicle or pedestrian for that matter, to see you by turning your day time running lights off? Theyíre fitted to your car for a reason.
__________________
2016 Polo GTI, Blue Silk. Gone but not forgotten; 2011 Mk6 Golf GTD, Carbon Steel Grey
SRGTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:52 PM   #19
vj123
Senior Member
 
vj123's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 GTI AB (sold)
Location: The Detroit
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,622
A google search lead me to this: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11965
vj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:54 PM   #20
ElectricEye
Senior Member
 
ElectricEye's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Location: NJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs2online View Post
Well I never need day time running lights. I just would the option of turning them off. And if you can't see
A 2ton vehicle on the road. You probably shouldn't be driving


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uhhh... Yeah... Ok.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #21
ElectricEye
Senior Member
 
ElectricEye's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Location: NJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
Problem with studies is the investigator has a premise in this case drl is safer and will only report the data to support their viewpoint. If there is contradictory analysis they don't report it. That's why one day coffee is good for you and the next day it is bad. You can see it with climate stuff. 97% only agree that the earth is warming but there is no 97% on the reason why but you wouldn't know that listening to msm

It makes no sense to me that in broad daylight those stupid running lights are going to make any difference at all. They aren't that bright. Anyway if it's true drl are a safety feature would not fully on headlights be better. If so why are they not required?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I agree with you on the idea that studies and data can be misleading.
But increased visibility to other drivers is increased visibility to other drivers.
There are certainly no negatives to that.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
Genegenie
Senior Member
 
Drives: Reflex Silver 1.4TSi Match Ed Dover Wheels 5Dr
Location: North Yorkshire
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
there are lots of folks driving 2 ton vehicles that should not be driving. Do what you want but in the don't do this camp.

or you could just tint the heck out of them.......
Pretty much bang on, autolites: yes, DRLs: not a fan. Slghtly irrelevant as so many idiots don't even look, stay sharp, people....
__________________
If you're in FL, USA & into the modding, tuning Fast And Furious scene:

http://lhtperformance.net/
Genegenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:09 PM   #23
CB1111
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI
Location: Washington DC Metro
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceGhost View Post
Problem with studies is the investigator has a premise in this case drl is safer and will only report the data to support their viewpoint. If there is contradictory analysis they don't report it. That's why one day coffee is good for you and the next day it is bad. You can see it with climate stuff. 97% only agree that the earth is warming but there is no 97% on the reason why but you wouldn't know that listening to msm

It makes no sense to me that in broad daylight those stupid running lights are going to make any difference at all. They aren't that bright. Anyway if it's true drl are a safety feature would not fully on headlights be better. If so why are they not required?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
You know, if only one country required DRLs then your conspiracy theory might make sense - but DRLs are mandated in Europe, Canada and many other countries. Studies were conducted in those countries and each study concluded that DRLs reduce accidents.
CB1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:15 PM   #24
ElectricEye
Senior Member
 
ElectricEye's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Location: NJ
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genegenie View Post
Pretty much bang on, autolites: yes, DRLs: not a fan. Slghtly irrelevant as so many idiots don't even look, stay sharp, people....
DRL's are there to catch the eyes of the idiots who don't look.
They are the people we are worried about.
Not the people who are paying attention.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #25
Gogo GTI
Senior Member
 
Gogo GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG
Location: Oakland, CA
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 865
Day time running lights off?

Still why would one need the ďoptionĒ to turn them off? Does your car actually look more stylish with them off? Is it considered dorky to be safer? Or is this for sneaking up on people and doing shady things?... drive bys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gogo GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:50 PM   #26
SpaceGhost
Senior Member
 
SpaceGhost's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI
Location: Coast to Coast
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 371
Not related but from a safety perspective I would like to see the government mandate the feature that automatically stops the car because seeing idiots texting while driving is nearly a daily event for me.
SpaceGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:50 PM   #27
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogo GTI View Post
Still why would one need the ďoptionĒ to turn them off? Does your car actually look more stylish with them off? Is it considered dorky to be safer? Or is this for sneaking up on people and doing shady things?... drive bys?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I like to have the option to turn them off, my reason being that living in a dense city where parking is a nightmare and people are hungry for parking, in my case I park and stay in the car a lot because I do a lot of paperwork in it so I like to leave my car on and turn off the lights so that people donít think that Iím leaving and park behind me just to realize that Iím not leaving and get rightfully mad about it, I turn off the DRLís since they are so bright with the headlights off itís like an insect light and you have people asking if you are leaving every 5 seconds, thatís my reason but others will have theirs, now Iím a huge believer that they are actually need it and can save you from a bad time


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 11:56 PM   #28
Wrath And Tears
Senior Member
 
Drives: 17 Sport DSG
Location: Bay Area, CA
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
I like to have the option to turn them off, my reason being that living in a dense city where parking is a nightmare and people are hungry for parking, in my case I park and stay in the car a lot because I do a lot of paperwork in it so I like to leave my car on and turn off the lights so that people don’t think that I’m leaving and park behind me just to realize that I’m not leaving and get rightfully mad about it, I turn off the DRL’s since they are so bright with the headlights off it’s like an insect light and you have people asking if you are leaving every 5 seconds, that’s my reason but others will have theirs, now I’m a huge believer that they are actually need it and can save you from a bad time


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you set the parking brake the DRL's turn off, are you sure people aren't coming up to you because they see your brake lights on? Either way just use the parking brake and problem solved.
Wrath And Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:15 AM   #29
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath And Tears View Post
If you set the parking brake the DRL's turn off, are you sure people aren't coming up to you because they see your brake lights on? Either way just use the parking brake and problem solved.


Yep, you are correct, the only issue is that my GTI is not my daily driver I use a different car as daily and it doesnít disable the light with the parking brake but it does have the option to turn them off via the MMI, sorry that I wasnít clear about that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:23 AM   #30
Wrath And Tears
Senior Member
 
Drives: 17 Sport DSG
Location: Bay Area, CA
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
Yep, you are correct, the only issue is that my GTI is not my daily driver I use a different car as daily and it doesnít disable the light with the parking brake but it does have the option to turn them off via the MMI, sorry that I wasnít clear about that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No worries, that's bizarre the Audi keeps them on with the parking brake. I guess just one more thing they wanted as different.
Wrath And Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #31
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrath And Tears View Post
No worries, that's bizarre the Audi keeps them on with the parking brake. I guess just one more thing they wanted as different.


Yeah, I would prefer them off with the parking brake instead but it takes a second to turn them on again.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 01:36 AM   #32
Wrath And Tears
Senior Member
 
Drives: 17 Sport DSG
Location: Bay Area, CA
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
Yeah, I would prefer them off with the parking brake instead but it takes a second to turn them on again.



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like some of the older Audi's, where the DRL on/off was a switch near the main light switch. That way of toggling makes more sense for DRL, but I guess doesn't look as clean with the newer cars.
Wrath And Tears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:23 AM   #33
ndenning46
Junior Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BxGTI View Post
Yep, you are correct, the only issue is that my GTI is not my daily driver I use a different car as daily and it doesnít disable the light with the parking brake but it does have the option to turn them off via the MMI, sorry that I wasnít clear about that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You can have DRL turn off with the parking brake via OBDeleven.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ndenning46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:03 AM   #34
BxGTI
Senior Member
 
BxGTI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 VW MK7 GTI, 2017 Audi A4 PP S Line2.0T
Location: Bronx,NY
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,425
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndenning46 View Post
You can have DRL turn off with the parking brake via OBDeleven.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


Thanks


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
2015 Tornado Red GTI MK7
BxGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.