GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Exterior / Interior Care (washing, detailing, exterior repairs)

Old 03-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #35
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyHeaded View Post
How many coats are you guys applying? I've found that the durability increases almost exponentially with each additional coat.

Very happy with my 22ple HPC coating. It's definitely held up well this first year, however we're talking about a SoCal garage queen that gets gently washed about every two weeks or so and finished with VS1. I do have some Finitura that I'm itching to try on top of the HPC, but I've not yet found a reason to use it yet. HPC keeps going, and going, and...
I have two coats of 9H and 1 coat of Lite. I'm sure all are different, and mine was sprayed, not laid. The gloss goes up each coat typically, as you are physically adding depth to the clear coat. Plus durability!

Compared to my other Pure White VW I had, this one, even when filthy, is much shinier.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #36
bboytaktix

Drives: 2018 Lapiz golf R DAP - 2011 WRX/STI SOLD!
I was surprised how shiny my car looked after only 1 coat of carpro cquartz, even with the filth of dirt and salt from these horrible winter/spring months

Last edited by bboytaktix; 03-14-2018 at 07:20 PM.
bboytaktix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 PM   #37
PouncingPanzer

Drives: White '17 GTI Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboytaktix View Post
I was surprised how shiny my car looked after only 1 coat of ceramic pro, even with the filth of dirt and salt from these horrible winter/spring months
CP is good for that. Does that make up for the price, ehhhhhhhhh, I am leaning towards no still. Especially after I struggled to get water spots off of my hood and roof.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:30 PM   #38
bboytaktix

Drives: 2018 Lapiz golf R DAP - 2011 WRX/STI SOLD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PouncingPanzer View Post
CP is good for that. Does that make up for the price, ehhhhhhhhh, I am leaning towards no still. Especially after I struggled to get water spots off of my hood and roof.
sorry I meant carpro cQuartz, I totally got confused and had to re-read your original post since the names are so damn similar. I used carpro cquartz not ceramic pro, and I was quite impressed with the results even though I only put one coat. I might actually add a second coat to the sides and back, once I get to putting a first coat on my front end since xpel should be cured in spring (just finished installing it this past weekend and there are still bubbles that need sun to get them out! we got 10cm of snow yesterday GAH)

Anyways I was initially impressed by the deep gloss the xpel leaves and it actually slightly helped in hiding the larger scratches in the paint that I couldn't remove (nor did I want to go that deep into brand new paint on a new car). Then the car got dirty and I was less impressed, but realize that this type of dirt/grime in winter sucks even if you are coated. The top portion of the car (not the rook but upper portion of doors and hatch) stay very clean and shiny. Well after some snow I was impressed again at how shiny the car still looked even with some dirt and grime on it, and how the snow melts and beads on the paint.

Still think the cQuartz worth it just based on the added protection, even at $80 per bottle. I will finish this bottle in the spring, and probably order another one next spring to strip and re-apply once yearly. I think it will make a big difference in longevity and also make washing during winter easier.

Another question that I had asked in another forum/thread; do you guys use the touchless washes in winter with your ceramic coatings applied? Most people said that their ceramic coating shops told them they could do it, no problem, and not worry. However, I have read somewhere that the harsh soaps used in automated washes can degrade the coatings at a quicker pace since they are not PH-neutral. I would hope this is not true because we have a sweet touchless automated car wash near my work and since I live in a condo where I can't wash my car, this place was my go-to for keeping the car clean.
bboytaktix is offline   Reply With Quote