GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTD Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-27-2016, 03:22 PM   #18
richiekuk

Drives: Mk7 GTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by p4tenttoast View Post

It seems like it might be down to a faulty crank position sensor, or sensor connection?
Where is this info from?

GTD. 3Dr, Carbon Grey, DSG, Santiago's, Discover Nav, Dynaudio, Park Assist, Reverse Camera, Climate Windscreen, Advanced Phone, Winter Pack, Keyless.
richiekuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 03:58 PM   #19
pipsyp

Drives: MY 2016 GTD 5 door manual - Carbon Grey
Ive had two GTD's...2014 and 2015 MY16 model years and both did it...the newer one more often.

I still have a 2.0 150 TDI Mk3 Skoda Octavia which Ive had from brand new and it slow starts quite a bit and has done from new.....its 2 and a bit years old with nearly 31k miles on the clock now...annoying but it always starts and goes like a rocket for a 150hp diesel car (its lighter than the GTD so barely slower though handles like shit) so cant foresee there being much wrong with it.

Its been checked at two services also and no issues raised.

Got back off of several days hols where it had been sat on my driveway and it took maybe 7-8 seconds to start first off but it did start.

I actually think its a characteristic of the engine....its shit and is a bit embarrassing when it decides to do it in front of someone (as the starter is also quite noisy) but I can live with it.

Ironically, never fails to fire quickly off of stop start.....
pipsyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
WotNo

Drives: His: Mk7 GTD Hers: Mk7 GT 2.0 TDI
My almost 3 y/o GTD has been occasionally doing this from new. A few weeks ago it took longer than normal to start and I felt the car felt a bit hesitant on my journey. When I got back in the car to return home it wouldn't start at all and despite the best efforts of the AA technician I had to be recovered to a VW dealership. The fault was diagnosed as the fuel pump control unit, which was replaced the next day. Got the car back and it was starting ok but there was still some hesitancy when driving along. Took it back and they replaced the fuel pump. It's all ok now.
WotNo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:59 PM   #21
vincent.yore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsyp View Post
Ive had two GTD's...2014 and 2015 MY16 model years and both did it...the newer one more often.

I still have a 2.0 150 TDI Mk3 Skoda Octavia which Ive had from brand new and it slow starts quite a bit and has done from new.....its 2 and a bit years old with nearly 31k miles on the clock now...annoying but it always starts and goes like a rocket for a 150hp diesel car (its lighter than the GTD so barely slower though handles like shit) so cant foresee there being much wrong with it.

Its been checked at two services also and no issues raised.

Got back off of several days hols where it had been sat on my driveway and it took maybe 7-8 seconds to start first off but it did start.

I actually think its a characteristic of the engine....its shit and is a bit embarrassing when it decides to do it in front of someone (as the starter is also quite noisy) but I can live with it.

Ironically, never fails to fire quickly off of stop start.....
Its not very good I have the issue as well told dealer they did nothing but I have sent them a video of it happening and ask them to ienquire with VW is this a know issue with no fix.
vincent.yore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #22
rr92

Drives: VW GOLF MK7 2.0 TDI 4motion Variant 2014
Hello. It's an old subject, but current to me. I bought used VW Golf MK7 4motion 2.0 150HP (car is from 09.2014).

I have identical as described in this thread a problem with long cranking. Car always start at first time, but sometimes it took few seconds to start the engine. It's very annoying.
It's only happens at first cold start in the morning (car is always in garage). All day car works perfect.

I noticed that it happens more often as the weather outside is warm.

Have anyone solved this problem? I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

After purchase I have replace: timing belt, alternator belt, all filters (fuel filter, air filter), oil filter and oil. Battery was charged.

Thanks in advance.
rr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #23
Mark315

Drives: 2017 MK7.5 GTD
I returned my MK7 GTD to VW for a refund due to this

Mods: VWR Springs, 25mm Eibach/12mm H&R Spacers, Miltek Non-Resonated Cat-Back Exhaust, Golf R Chrome Mirrors, Helix Subwoofer, Crystal Serum Black Ceramic Coating
Mark315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #24
sturgeon boy

Drives: golf mk 7 & 4
there is a solution for this problem its replacing the VVT valve theres a big thread on one of the mk7 sites on facebook a guy by the name of diagnostic Dan ( search youtube ) solved the problem which involves replacing the VVT valve with the superseded part i priced it from VW the valve itself is about 80 then the cost of the new casing and fitting should cure the problem
sturgeon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:42 PM   #25
sturgeon boy

Drives: golf mk 7 & 4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXvHdmq0reA&t=1221s
sturgeon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:10 AM   #26
Jamie93

Drives: Golf gtd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark315 View Post
I returned my MK7 GTD to VW for a refund due to this
Is yours a facelift gtd? If so I would suggest that the vvt module may not be the only cause of this issue. The reason I say that is because the modified vvt module was fitted to all production cars from late 2016 - early 2017 onwards. All the facelifts should therefore come with this already installed from the factory. Hence there may be another issue causing this. I have my suspicions that it may be an injector problem such as injector drift. I can categorically say though that use of premium diesel such as v power has made it so it a lot less often. I also think though that these engines get increasingly noisy as the miles go up - anyone else agree??
Jamie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #27
rr92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie93 View Post
Is yours a facelift gtd? If so I would suggest that the vvt module may not be the only cause of this issue. The reason I say that is because the modified vvt module was fitted to all production cars from late 2016 - early 2017 onwards. All the facelifts should therefore come with this already installed from the factory. Hence there may be another issue causing this. I have my suspicions that it may be an injector problem such as injector drift. I can categorically say though that use of premium diesel such as v power has made it so it a lot less often. I also think though that these engines get increasingly noisy as the miles go up - anyone else agree??
I have 2.0 TDI and 150000 km on the clock. I agree, engine is noisy.

I'm still searching solution for extended crank issue. On another forum someone said, that had replaced VVT Oil control modul like on the YT video with no luck.

This extended crank happen so randomly. For example,
it starts well ten times, the eleventh time has an extended start. One thing is for sure, it's only happen to me on cold start (first of the day).
Old 05-23-2018, 10:07 PM   #28
rr92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon boy View Post
A few days ago I replaced this VVT valve and housing in my car. For testing purposes I bought used parts, but in very good condition.

Time will tell if it fixes the problem of extended cranking of the car. It seems to me, however, that after replacing parts, the car fires faster. Every time <1s. Of course, we are talking about the first morning launch of the car, because during the day there was never a problem.

I will let you know how the situation looks like in a while.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #29
Mark315

Drives: 2017 MK7.5 GTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie93 View Post
The car returned was a 2014 GTD with 25k on it.

Went and bought a new 7.5, hasnt missed a beat

Mods: VWR Springs, 25mm Eibach/12mm H&R Spacers, Miltek Non-Resonated Cat-Back Exhaust, Golf R Chrome Mirrors, Helix Subwoofer, Crystal Serum Black Ceramic Coating
Mark315 is offline   Reply With Quote