GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf R Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 07-12-2018, 06:43 PM   #18
Luchos

Drives: Mk2 VW GTI Mk1 Audi 225TT Mk7 VW Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by David9962000 View Post
Yup being an Ex- Uni customer I just got an email newsletter myself
Luchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
ashmostro

Drives: 2018 Corvette Grand Sport
Woohoo I just got the email too! Will install tonight and report back.
ashmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
Inigo

Drives: 2018 Golf R
I received an email from Eurodyne. Stay tuned.
Inigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:51 PM   #21
ashmostro

Just installed and tested uni's tcu tune. Unfortunately, it doesn't cure the issue (I am stg 1+ ecu and stg 1 tcu).

I also don't think uni's stg1+ ecu tune is all that smooth. Very under impressed.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:50 AM   #22
a3scott20

Drives: Golf MK7.5 R DQ381
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmostro View Post
Just installed and tested uni's tcu tune. Unfortunately, it doesn't cure the issue (I am stg 1+ ecu and stg 1 tcu).
I also don't think uni's stg1+ ecu tune is all that smooth. Very under impressed.
what issue you are referring here?
Old 07-17-2018, 04:06 AM   #23
ashmostro

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3scott20 View Post
what issue you are referring here?
Sorry, WOT post shift torque drop that occurs only in automatic mode. Doesn't happen when shifting manually with paddles or lever.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #24
Inigo

Interesting. I'll report the drivability feedback of the ED TCU tune when I get it (hopefully by next week).

I have a trip to New Mexico coming up and will most likely drive (from Denver). This would be a good time to test its street manners and shifting behavior once in the canyons.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #25
Inigo

Quote:

Try Eurodyne's stage 1+ or Stage 2 tunes. I'm on there Stage 2 93 octane map at 25 PSI and its simply outstanding. I live in Colorado at 5300ft and we only get 91 (good quality though). There 93 file works great up here (as timing is typically advanced anyways due to a lack of atmospheric pressure....which jives well with the increase in timing from the 93 file.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:47 PM   #26
ashmostro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
Try Eurodyne's stage 1+ or Stage 2 tunes. I'm on there Stage 2 93 octane map at 25 PSI and its simply outstanding. I live in Colorado at 5300ft and we only get 91 (good quality though). There 93 file works great up here (as timing is typically advanced anyways due to a lack of atmospheric pressure....which jives well with the increase in timing from the 93 file.
Is tuning/detuning at home an option with them? I chose Uni over APR primary for this reason.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #27
Inigo

Quote:
Is tuning/detuning at home an option with them? I chose Uni over APR primary for this reason.

Thanks!
Yes. I flashed in my garage and it takes about 10 minutes. In addition to the convenience of at home flashing, Eurodyne also supports custom tuning with Maestro. In addition to that, there off the shelf tunes are configurable for octane and boost pressure. In addition to that, updates are free and when you purchase a map or "stage", all other stages are available. For example, I can flash the vehicle to Stage 1, 1+ or stage 2 at no additional cost.

One more thing. When sending Eurodyne an email, they respond rather promptly. The contents of that reply may differ based on the question or questions asked but the response is never the less, expedient.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:31 PM   #28
ashmostro

Wish I had known about them before going with Uni....
Old 07-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #29
Walls

Drives: 2018 Golf R, 2016 GTI Autobahn PP, 2008 Exo X
Is eurodyne's dsg tune out yet?
Walls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #30
Inigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walls View Post
Is eurodyne's dsg tune out yet?
I'm not sure. I'm still waiting for an email that tells me the tune is ready for download. I submitted my TCU's ID to ED on the 13th of July.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 PM   #31
Luchos

Drives: Mk2 VW GTI Mk1 Audi 225TT Mk7 VW Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo View Post
I'm not sure. I'm still waiting for an email that tells me the tune is ready for download. I submitted my TCU's ID to ED on the 13th of July.
Do you have a cable? You can just plug it in and check the database
Luchos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:18 PM   #32
Inigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luchos View Post
Do you have a cable? You can just plug it in and check the database
Yes.

UPDATE:

Stage 1 DQ380 tune downloaded, installed and tested to a limited capacity.

Sport Mode:

Response on upshifts seems more immediate. Shifts feel sharper and faster but I cant quantify the exact amount. It is noticeable. The gears also hold longer in cruise before upshifting. Prior to the flash, sport mode would row through all 7 gears rather quickly which meant that during a sudden WOT situation, the car would hesitate for a second, then kickdown and accelerate. There is no shift lag or drop in rpm during an upshift at high RPMs in Sport mode. The car kicks into the next gear with urgency and continues to pull. I am on Eurodyne stage 2 file at 25psi and 93 octane. When coming to a stop, the car bucks and clunks less as the downshifts seem "timed" better to engine speed and deceleration. A welcomed behavior although I need more time to test the repeat-ability of this.

Launch Mode in Sport: TBA

Manual Mode:

First, manual mode is "true" manual mode. No auto kickdown which is a MUCH desired improvement. Shifts are crisp and sudden. Car grabs the next gear with authority. What I like the most is that when I go WOT in 1st, I know the car will hold my gear until I say so (again, true manual is how this mode should be to begin with). I've also noticed that the car holds onto the gear before automatically downshifting when coming to a stop. It will downshift to 1 if you forget to stop but waits until the very last second. Interestingly enough, the downshifting performance is about the same.

Cost:

6 credits are required. I purchased one credit and a 5 credit bundle as 6 credit bundles are not an option. The overall cost was roughly 375 dollars USD.

Flashing:

I used the flash cable that I purchased the Stage 2 file. Installation took about 4 minutes.

Adaptation:

I did NOT run the adaptation. The car may not need it but if there is a benefit to running it, I certainly can using the EDs flash utility under "diagnostics"

To Come:

Sport Mode Launch Control with ESP OFF
Manual Mode Launch Control with ESP OFF
Long term cruise and sudden WOT transition repeatability
Long term deceleration in Sport mode, coming to a stop

Notes: I do not use "D" or normal mode but I will use "Comfort" when crossing rail road tracks. I have yet to drive in these modes for longer duration's of time.

Last edited by Inigo; 07-26-2018 at 10:07 PM.