GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > MK7 vs......

Old 07-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
scurrvy

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG | APR Stage 2
Stage 2 Speed3 vs APR Stage 2 GTI

His car: Mazda Speed3 | stage 2 (Tune/DP) | claimed 305 on dyno
My car: 2017 GTI Sport (w/PP and LSD) | DSG | APR Stage 2 w/ APR DP (+1 Passenger)

I was driving around my hometown in NH around 10pm with my buddy. We were hoping to find someone to have some fun with andÖ well, we were successful.

We were driving by a park when my buddy hear a loud exhaust and told me to go over and take a look. We drove by and saw a speed3 (while we were driving by he revved at me, I revved back). I circled back around and stopped to talk to him since his car sounded fucking sick.

We talked for a minute about our mods. He said he was stage 2 with a custom tune, and had straight piped his exhaust. He dynoed it in the fall and said it was at 305. I havenít dynoed my car yet, but Iím APR stage 2, and on paper that should be around 309 on 93 octane.

I asked him if he wanted to race, and he did. We hopped on the highway real quick and got going. (This was my first real race so I was pretty nervousÖ Iíve dicked around a lot with random people on the streets, but Iíve never actually lined up and roll raced someone)

We start at 30 on the first go. I honked and rolled into the throttle (I was nervous and didnít want to jump him and be a dick). He pulled ahead of me for a split second, and then I gapped him by a few cars. Pulled off around 110 and he gave me a thumbs up.

The second race went the same for the most partÖ but I think he was brake boosting this time. I didnít since I was still a bit nervous. He jumped out a bit farther ahead this time (I eased into the throttle again because Iím a pussy apparently) and then I passed him quickly. This time I didnít accidentally shift to 6th too early and I had quite a few car lengths on him by the time I pulled off around 112.

We stopped at a parking lot and chatted a bit. The dude was real cool, and we both had a good time. Definitely an awesome end to the night.

TL;DR
Heard loud car - found loud car - raced from a 30 roll two times and blew by him.

I fucking love my GTI.
scurrvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #2
miked617

Drives: 16 VW GTI Autobahn PP, DSG, JB4, K&N, MAP DP
Sounds like good runs!
Old 07-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Niol8r

Dsg FTW it seems.
Niol8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:47 AM   #4
scurrvy

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport DSG | APR Stage 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niol8r View Post
Dsg FTW it seems.
Absolutely. It was pretty awesome seeing how much the DSG affected the outcome. I feel kinda cheesy having an automatic... but I love the DSG.
scurrvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 02:49 AM   #5
AtlantaDad

Drives: Night Blue 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
Welcome to the cheesy pussy club! Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
2016 GTI NB PP LP | Cobb AP w/ MAPerformance Stage 2 | MAPerformance Catted/Resonated DP | Baun Performance FMIC | APR TIP | AFE drop-in w/ snow guard delete | 034 Dogbone Insert | Stoptech Slotted Rotors w/ EBC RedStuff Pads

Thou shalt read this first: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18297
AtlantaDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 04:57 AM   #6
Zx2man

Drives: 2017 Gti sport
I owned a 2009 speed 3 that had cobb protune fbo on 17 psi 92 pump gas. I made 291 whp on a mustang dyno, but it read closer to a dynojet. Funny he mentions stages, unlike over here in vw land the stage 1 or 2 or 3 is rarely mentioned, anywhoo I believe the story, these new mk7s are just flat out faster. Most bolt on tune Cobb speeds are making 280-295 whp stock turbo and are tad heavier too. I do kinda miss it. Its a raw car. The 6 sp trans is bulletproof, its got respectable potential as long as u keep tq spikes out and below 400 wtq
But yeah, my gti right now would pull several cars easy on my old speed.