GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 AM   #1
Proxima
Member
 
Proxima's Avatar
 
Drives: 2001 VW New Beetle 1.8 turbo, 2019 GTI SE MT
Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 99
Engine bay cleaning

Any tips, cautions or advice on cleaning the engine bay? I have Youtubed this as see lots of variation on what to do and what not to do.

My GTI was very gritty from the dealership. I should have had them detail it up for me but I didn't. It looks as if it was left outside and a sandstorm hit the area or something.

Thanks and advance!
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 AM   #2
jimlloyd40
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,847
Just be very careful on the electrical parts.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:14 AM   #3
sandmangti
Senior Member
 
sandmangti's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 596
Recently I washed mine.
Not first time.
I use aluminum foil and cover the electrical box. Wrap it around top. Also wrap alternator as best I can. Mainly cover top side.
They I snow foamed the engine and under hood. Used small horse hair detail brush to agitate. They used wet micro fiber to wash big flat spots and underside of hood. Wipe down hoses and all I can reach. They used light pressure power wash and rinsed.
They used blower to remove water. Dry with micro fiber also. Start engine and run for 5-10 min.
Let dry over night. They spray down with detailer spray or what you like. Pearl of 303 are good option. Let sit. Then wipe off extra.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sandmangti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
JerseyDrew77
Senior Member
 
JerseyDrew77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Location: Virginia & NC
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,856
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.
__________________
Breaking V8 hearts and dreams - DBV2 Journal Bearing V2 Turbo w/TMD protuned by Ed (EQT) | CTS Intercooler (Direct Fit) | COBB Intake | MAP 3 inch Catless DP | AWE Track CBE | ECS & EQT Charge Pipes | BMS TIP | Spulen OCC | AEM 5 Bar w/APR Boost Tap | Bosch 4 Bar | NGK Racing Plugs (Heat Range 9) | Fluidampr | SuperPro Mounts | DKM Twin Disk Stage 3 Clutch | Autotech HPFP | PR Stage 3 LPFP | PR Fuel Line | Torqbyte PM4
JerseyDrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
sandmangti
Senior Member
 
sandmangti's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 596
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDrew77 View Post
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.


Some people look like they drive on gravel roads from their engine pics, but if I wash once a year it stays good for me. 4 years old my engine looks new.

Why wash? Just a personal thing. Only I see but I enjoy.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sandmangti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
mopar22
Senior Member
 
Drives: 16 GTI SE
Location: Va/MI
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 529
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues
mopar22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
swcrow
Senior Member
 
swcrow's Avatar
 
Drives: MK7.5 GTI SE
Location: Virginia
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar22 View Post
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues

Nice. This is essentially what I'm going to do on "shower" setting with garden hose.
__________________
Uni St2 ECU/TCU; Baun FMIC/DP/MP and a partridge in a pear tree....
swcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
DThissen
Junior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
Location: ON
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar22 View Post
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues
This. I used to detail cars and aslong as you're not blasting anything directly it should be okay. That said, I always took care around anything electrical and held the pressure washer a good 10+ inches away. If you have access to a leaf blower (or compressed air) you can use that to blow most of the excess water away.
DThissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #9
GolfRRRR
Senior Member
 
Drives: MK7 Golf R
Location: Michigan
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDrew77 View Post
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.
This is what I tell myself about brushing my teeth or wiping my ass...j/k or not

Engine bays are hurricane's in rain storms, so just don't high pressure wash electronics...the 'shower' setting on a hose is fine.
GolfRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
jimlloyd40
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Location: Phoenix
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 2,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDrew77 View Post
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.
Pride for one thing and it makes finding an oil leak easier. That's like saying why bother washing or waxing the car.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:34 AM   #11
JWTS
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI/Alltrack
Location: WA
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDrew77 View Post
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.
It's funny, a friend's college-age son asked this about cleaning his toilet.He was 100% serious....

I mean, couldn't this be said about pretty much anything?

I clean it because it I need to work on the engine (whether it's replacing an air filter or cleaning the valves), there's not dirt all over the place flying into an open engine. And, as mentioned, it makes spotting leaks a lot easier.
JWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
eajr
Senior Member
 
eajr's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 GTI SE 6MT
Location: Chicago, IL
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 369
I am very much into detailing (not a professional though) and I clean my engine bay about twice a year, maybe 3 if its really bad. I usually just cover my battery with a plastic grocery bag, and that's it. I first spray everything down with an APC (I use Mean Green Auto+Garage, a gal at Walmart is like $6), and scrub with various brushes where it needs more attention. I then spray it down with my pressure washer (yea I know....), constantly moving the stream and not focusing on any specific area. If it requires more cleaner, I will do it again in that area, but it usually doesn't. I finally blow dry the bay with my leaf blower. I also do underneath the hood as well. I have never had not one problem using my method, not 1 light or any malfunction of any kind.
eajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
Carlosfandango
Senior Member
 
Carlosfandango's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 3Dr Mk7 GTi DSG Carbon Grey
Location: UK
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 748
Take a look at this guys YouTube channel, hes very knowledgable on everything detailing.


https://youtu.be/QmSHfoHmQmY
Carlosfandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Beju
Member
 
Drives: 2019 GTI Rabbit Ed, Mazda CX-5, Ducati Monster 696
Location: IL
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

My GTI was very gritty from the dealership. I should have had them detail it up for me but I didn't. It looks as if it was left outside and a sandstorm hit the area or something.
That's how mine was too. I picked it up the day it showed up at the dealership in mid-June. I figured it got hit with a sandstorm somewhere in Texas or northern Mexico.



Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Beju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
JerseyDrew77
Senior Member
 
JerseyDrew77's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Location: Virginia & NC
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,856
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlloyd40 View Post
Pride for one thing and it makes finding an oil leak easier. That's like saying why bother washing or waxing the car.
Pride or more like OCD?

And that is not the same. The only time I can see cleaning an engine bay would be for a car show.
__________________
Breaking V8 hearts and dreams - DBV2 Journal Bearing V2 Turbo w/TMD protuned by Ed (EQT) | CTS Intercooler (Direct Fit) | COBB Intake | MAP 3 inch Catless DP | AWE Track CBE | ECS & EQT Charge Pipes | BMS TIP | Spulen OCC | AEM 5 Bar w/APR Boost Tap | Bosch 4 Bar | NGK Racing Plugs (Heat Range 9) | Fluidampr | SuperPro Mounts | DKM Twin Disk Stage 3 Clutch | Autotech HPFP | PR Stage 3 LPFP | PR Fuel Line | Torqbyte PM4
JerseyDrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
riceburner
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI SE
Location: West Chicagoland
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmangti View Post
Recently I washed mine.
Not first time.
I use aluminum foil and cover the electrical box. Wrap it around top. Also wrap alternator as best I can. Mainly cover top side.
They I snow foamed the engine and under hood. Used small horse hair detail brush to agitate. They used wet micro fiber to wash big flat spots and underside of hood. Wipe down hoses and all I can reach. They used light pressure power wash and rinsed.
They used blower to remove water. Dry with micro fiber also. Start engine and run for 5-10 min.
Let dry over night. They spray down with detailer spray or what you like. Pearl of 303 are good option. Let sit. Then wipe off extra.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This method 100% is the way to go. Some keys are the pressure washer because it will force things off your engine however it doesn't use as much water as just 'hosing it down'. Although that also means you need to be even more careful around electrical parts. I don't have a presure washer yet so i use my hose setting on 'mist' lol.
__________________
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55314
2016 GTI SE, Performance Pack, DCC, Manual
2012 GTI, K04, DSG
2015 GTI SE, Manual, stage 1 and bolt ons - long gone.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 AM   #17
@Autobahn
Member
 
@Autobahn's Avatar
 
Drives: '18 Golf R, '08 R32
Location: Socal
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajr View Post
I am very much into detailing (not a professional though) and I clean my engine bay about twice a year, maybe 3 if its really bad. I usually just cover my battery with a plastic grocery bag, and that's it. I first spray everything down with an APC (I use Mean Green Auto+Garage, a gal at Walmart is like $6), and scrub with various brushes where it needs more attention. I then spray it down with my pressure washer (yea I know....), constantly moving the stream and not focusing on any specific area. If it requires more cleaner, I will do it again in that area, but it usually doesn't. I finally blow dry the bay with my leaf blower. I also do underneath the hood as well. I have never had not one problem using my method, not 1 light or any malfunction of any kind.


APC is key as you have mentioned to break down oil/grease.
@Autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.