GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 08-26-2019, 01:53 AM   #1
Proxima

Drives: 2001 VW New Beetle 1.8 turbo, 2019 GTI SE MT
Engine bay cleaning

Any tips, cautions or advice on cleaning the engine bay? I have Youtubed this as see lots of variation on what to do and what not to do.

My GTI was very gritty from the dealership. I should have had them detail it up for me but I didn't. It looks as if it was left outside and a sandstorm hit the area or something.

Thanks and advance!
Proxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:05 AM   #2
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Just be very careful on the electrical parts.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:14 AM   #3
sandmangti

Recently I washed mine.
Not first time.
I use aluminum foil and cover the electrical box. Wrap it around top. Also wrap alternator as best I can. Mainly cover top side.
They I snow foamed the engine and under hood. Used small horse hair detail brush to agitate. They used wet micro fiber to wash big flat spots and underside of hood. Wipe down hoses and all I can reach. They used light pressure power wash and rinsed.
They used blower to remove water. Dry with micro fiber also. Start engine and run for 5-10 min.
Let dry over night. They spray down with detailer spray or what you like. Pearl of 303 are good option. Let sit. Then wipe off extra.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
sandmangti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:02 AM   #4
JerseyDrew77

Drives: 2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Why even bother cleaning it when it's just going to get dirty again.
Breaking V8 hearts and dreams - DBV2 Journal Bearing V2 Turbo w/TMD protuned by Ed (EQT) | CTS Intercooler (Direct Fit) | COBB Intake | MAP 3 inch Catless DP | AWE Track CBE | ECS & EQT Charge Pipes | BMS TIP | Spulen OCC | AEM 5 Bar w/APR Boost Tap | Bosch 4 Bar | NGK Racing Plugs (Heat Range 9) | Fluidampr | SuperPro Mounts | DKM Twin Disk Stage 3 Clutch | Autotech HPFP | PR Stage 3 LPFP | PR Fuel Line | Torqbyte PM4
JerseyDrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 02:14 PM   #5
sandmangti

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyDrew77 View Post

Some people look like they drive on gravel roads from their engine pics, but if I wash once a year it stays good for me. 4 years old my engine looks new.

Why wash? Just a personal thing. Only I see but I enjoy.

sandmangti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
mopar22

Drives: 16 GTI SE
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues
mopar22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 06:25 PM   #7
swcrow

Drives: MK7.5 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar22 View Post
I just wash without covering anything up since in todays world almost everything is watertight as long as you don't blast it with water. I'm a detailer at a dealership and had zero issues

Nice. This is essentially what I'm going to do on "shower" setting with garden hose.
Old 08-26-2019, 06:28 PM   #8
DThissen

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar22 View Post
This. I used to detail cars and aslong as you're not blasting anything directly it should be okay. That said, I always took care around anything electrical and held the pressure washer a good 10+ inches away. If you have access to a leaf blower (or compressed air) you can use that to blow most of the excess water away.
DThissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #9
GolfRRRR

Drives: MK7 Golf R
Quote:
This is what I tell myself about brushing my teeth or wiping my ass...j/k or not

Engine bays are hurricane's in rain storms, so just don't high pressure wash electronics...the 'shower' setting on a hose is fine.
GolfRRRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:07 AM   #10
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
Quote:
Pride for one thing and it makes finding an oil leak easier. That's like saying why bother washing or waxing the car.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:34 AM   #11
JWTS

Drives: GTI/Alltrack
Quote:
It's funny, a friend's college-age son asked this about cleaning his toilet.He was 100% serious....

I mean, couldn't this be said about pretty much anything?

I clean it because it I need to work on the engine (whether it's replacing an air filter or cleaning the valves), there's not dirt all over the place flying into an open engine. And, as mentioned, it makes spotting leaks a lot easier.
JWTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #12
eajr

Drives: '15 GTI SE 6MT
I am very much into detailing (not a professional though) and I clean my engine bay about twice a year, maybe 3 if its really bad. I usually just cover my battery with a plastic grocery bag, and that's it. I first spray everything down with an APC (I use Mean Green Auto+Garage, a gal at Walmart is like $6), and scrub with various brushes where it needs more attention. I then spray it down with my pressure washer (yea I know....), constantly moving the stream and not focusing on any specific area. If it requires more cleaner, I will do it again in that area, but it usually doesn't. I finally blow dry the bay with my leaf blower. I also do underneath the hood as well. I have never had not one problem using my method, not 1 light or any malfunction of any kind.
eajr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 10:45 AM   #13
Carlosfandango

Drives: 2016 3Dr Mk7 GTi DSG Carbon Grey
Take a look at this guys YouTube channel, hes very knowledgable on everything detailing.

https://youtu.be/QmSHfoHmQmY
Carlosfandango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:31 AM   #14
Beju

Drives: 2019 GTI Rabbit Ed, Mazda CX-5, Ducati Monster 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post

My GTI was very gritty from the dealership. I should have had them detail it up for me but I didn't. It looks as if it was left outside and a sandstorm hit the area or something.
That's how mine was too. I picked it up the day it showed up at the dealership in mid-June. I figured it got hit with a sandstorm somewhere in Texas or northern Mexico.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Beju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
JerseyDrew77

Drives: 2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimlloyd40 View Post
Pride for one thing and it makes finding an oil leak easier. That's like saying why bother washing or waxing the car.
Pride or more like OCD?

And that is not the same. The only time I can see cleaning an engine bay would be for a car show.
Breaking V8 hearts and dreams - DBV2 Journal Bearing V2 Turbo w/TMD protuned by Ed (EQT) | CTS Intercooler (Direct Fit) | COBB Intake | MAP 3 inch Catless DP | AWE Track CBE | ECS & EQT Charge Pipes | BMS TIP | Spulen OCC | AEM 5 Bar w/APR Boost Tap | Bosch 4 Bar | NGK Racing Plugs (Heat Range 9) | Fluidampr | SuperPro Mounts | DKM Twin Disk Stage 3 Clutch | Autotech HPFP | PR Stage 3 LPFP | PR Fuel Line | Torqbyte PM4
JerseyDrew77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #16
riceburner

Drives: 2015 GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandmangti View Post
Recently I washed mine.
Not first time.
I use aluminum foil and cover the electrical box. Wrap it around top. Also wrap alternator as best I can. Mainly cover top side.
They I snow foamed the engine and under hood. Used small horse hair detail brush to agitate. They used wet micro fiber to wash big flat spots and underside of hood. Wipe down hoses and all I can reach. They used light pressure power wash and rinsed.
They used blower to remove water. Dry with micro fiber also. Start engine and run for 5-10 min.
Let dry over night. They spray down with detailer spray or what you like. Pearl of 303 are good option. Let sit. Then wipe off extra.

This method 100% is the way to go. Some keys are the pressure washer because it will force things off your engine however it doesn't use as much water as just 'hosing it down'. Although that also means you need to be even more careful around electrical parts. I don't have a presure washer yet so i use my hose setting on 'mist' lol.
2015 GTI SE, Manual, stage 1 and bolt ons - long gone.
riceburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:05 AM   #17
@Autobahn

Drives: '18 Golf R, '08 R32
Quote:
Originally Posted by eajr View Post
I am very much into detailing (not a professional though) and I clean my engine bay about twice a year, maybe 3 if its really bad. I usually just cover my battery with a plastic grocery bag, and that's it. I first spray everything down with an APC (I use Mean Green Auto+Garage, a gal at Walmart is like $6), and scrub with various brushes where it needs more attention. I then spray it down with my pressure washer (yea I know....), constantly moving the stream and not focusing on any specific area. If it requires more cleaner, I will do it again in that area, but it usually doesn't. I finally blow dry the bay with my leaf blower. I also do underneath the hood as well. I have never had not one problem using my method, not 1 light or any malfunction of any kind.

APC is key as you have mentioned to break down oil/grease.
@Autobahn is offline   Reply With Quote