GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-20-2019, 09:00 PM   #18
Audi Junkie

Drives: Mk7 Wolfsburg
Some cars, like Astra Redline, spec a single MTF change at 6000mi, then no others.

Be aware, new VAG MTF is VERY thin at 6cSt, thinner than ATF. Tuner shops still dump in 75w-90 GL-5 GEAR OIL. Going up a little is not a bad idea, it's quieter and handles more power easier. With this said, Pennzoil Synchromesh is really the best of the bunch at 10cSt. Redline MTL, the thinnest blend, is also very good.

Guys in Canada used Dexron III Mobil 1 ATF for a long time for extreme cold. Dex 3 or 6 is correct as far as not being "friction modified", and will let the synchros grab. That's why GL-5 gear oil works poorly, it's too slick for synchro engagement. Same for ATFs like ATF+4 or Mercon V.

I'll look the thread over better and chime in again if I can help. PZ Synchromesh was like butter in every trans I used it.
Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:06 PM   #19
Audi Junkie

Drives: Mk7 Wolfsburg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
I just changed my tranny fluid in my 2019 SE. I used Motul Gear 300 and am very pleased with this oil. Shifting is very easy and smooth (as it was before the oil change) and I think the power is more direct....I know that sounds dumb but I can feel a difference in the way power is sent to the wheels.
Motul is a quality product and well worth the money, especially considering that tranny oil is changed so infrequently.
That is a combo GL-4/5 which is less than ideal for either application, however I would use it in a diff.

It's also > 2x as thick as speced. If you have a winter climate, it will do very poorly esp short trip driving....soaking up power the whole time.

Synchromesh excels in cold.

Audi Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote