GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 07-21-2019, 12:57 AM   #1
stm25rs

Passenger side washer sprayer not working

So, I learned the hard way that these cars don't like rain-x. Shortly after buying mine, I put some of the Rain-X additive into the washer fluid. A few hundred miles later, got a low washer fluid alert. Topped off the fluid....it was nowhere near close to empty, which led me to search the forums and found out about the Rain-X issue with the sensor. Solved the "empty fluid" annoyance by turning it off via OBD eleven.

Now, at about 15k miles later, my passenger side sprayer isn't spraying. The fluid had gotten empty, thanks to not being able to see the reservoir in the engine bay.

Does Rain-X additive cause issues with the sprayers too? Or maybe air got in the line because the reservoir got empty?

Guessing I should inquire about a warranty claim on this, and opt not to mention the use of Rain-X?
stm25rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:14 AM   #2
jimlloyd40

Drives: 2018 Golf GTI SE
I never heard of putting Rain-X in the washer fluid. You're supposed to apply it to the windows. It's like waxing your car. You put it on and wipe it off.
jimlloyd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
oddspyke

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn Manual w/PP
Yes on the warranty, no on mentioning which fluid you used.

Jimlloyd - rainex makes a washer fluid, it messes with the level system in our cars (and others I'm guessing).
oddspyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
stm25rs

They also make an additive which you can put in to regular fluid, that's what I used. I've used the additive and rainx fluid on other cars without issue.

I thought messing with the sensor was bad enough, but I guess it also gums up the sprayer or pump in these cars? That's crazy to me

Last edited by stm25rs; 07-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:48 AM   #5
gregozedobe

Drives: VW Golf R, T5 Transporter, Skoda Octavia vRS
VW w'screen washer spray outlets are known for blockages, especially if you use anything other than genuine VW washer fluid. IIRC some people have been able to clear them, but others found the job was so fiddly it was easier to just buy new spray outlets.
gregozedobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #6
Faceman

Drives: 2017 GSW S 4Mo
Mixing OEM fluid with Rain-X the problem. Run the OEM fluid dry, then fill with Rain-X, and you will be fine. I have used this method on my last 3 VWs, with over 200k miles combined, I never had a washer related issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 07-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #7
stm25rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Mixing OEM fluid with Rain-X the problem. Run the OEM fluid dry, then fill with Rain-X, and you will be fine. I have used this method on my last 3 VWs, with over 200k miles combined, I never had a washer related issue.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I believe the passenger side stopped spraying after the fluid ran dry, and I refilled with regular washer fluid - non-OEM, but not Rain-X brand either. Just the regular blue stuff.
Old 07-26-2019, 02:45 PM   #8
nomgaw

Drives: Golf MK7
Yeah mixing that two brand is not good idea
nomgaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 PM   #9
stm25rs

Quick update in case anyone else has same issue. Had the dealership look at it when I went in for my 20k service. Just said the passenger side wasn't spraying, they checked it out as a warranty thing. Said it was clogged and compressed air blew out the clog, all good now. Was half expecting them to ask about rainx but nope, easy peasy
Old 09-19-2019, 08:56 AM   #10
Finglonga

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI Performance
Should have re enabled the sensor, they would have put a new one in.