GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 05-18-2018, 03:12 AM   #732
masonmarch

Drives: MK7 GTI IS38, CABRIO VR6
Installed my intercooler/silicone pipes last night, couple tips from my experience.
-I didn’t need to remove the headlights, to get the last bolt out of the beam on each side just pull UP on the headlights and thread them out.
For the main yellow clips... HEAT THEM UP. Just hit them with a lighter for a few seconds, I tried to get them for about 5 min each, then heated them up and got them out like nothing.
An extra hand would make all this easlier, but I was able to do it 100% on my own in 5 hours.
The 2 1/4” plates with the two holes work perfect for the upper AC condenser mount points, just use the M5 bolts, I didn’t use anything on the bottom.
I didn’t need to trim or file anything on the intercooler itself.
The upper black tabs that press into the intercooler needs to be shaved down, just use a untilty knife.
The yellow brackets need the one groove shaved down as the new cooler doesn’t have a prevision for this, again utility knife and hammer them on.
A cooler or a giant sub woofer is a must for support lol.
Carful with the AC condenser.
Other than that, straightforward. I didn’t use any tape for my bumper alignment.
The only thing I broke are the small air guides on the upper center bumper support.

Car feels like it pulls harder and is consistent every time.
GTI 6MT with is38 running on jb4, will report back with logs and differences over the stock GTI cooler.

Last edited by masonmarch; 05-18-2018 at 03:19 AM.
masonmarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 03:22 AM   #733
rafycotto

Drives: Golf .:R MK7 11.0@125
Another one here, got it today and ordered Wednesday 9. Came in one piece, but
This vvvvvvv

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
/ 2015 Golf .:R / ED Maestro MooseTune / ED DSG Stg-3 Tune / CTS Boss600 / CTS Intake / PR MPI / PagParts Fuel Pump Kit 450 / Majestic IC / USP DP Catless / 034 DogBone Insert / H&R Spring / MR131 17x8 NT555R /
rafycotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 AM   #734
jonny2slow4u

do u think that it is the same?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F183218072848

Inviato dal mio SM-A510F utilizzando Tapatalk
jonny2slow4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:54 AM   #735
masonmarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonmarch View Post
Installed my intercooler/silicone pipes last night, couple tips from my experience.
-I didn’t need to remove the headlights, to get the last bolt out of the beam on each side just pull UP on the headlights and thread them out.
For the main yellow clips... HEAT THEM UP. Just hit them with a lighter for a few seconds, I tried to get them for about 5 min each, then heated them up and got them out like nothing.
An extra hand would make all this easlier, but I was able to do it 100% on my own in 5 hours.
The 2 1/4” plates with the two holes work perfect for the upper AC condenser mount points, just use the M5 bolts, I didn’t use anything on the bottom.
I didn’t need to trim or file anything on the intercooler itself.
The upper black tabs that press into the intercooler needs to be shaved down, just use a untilty knife.
The yellow brackets need the one groove shaved down as the new cooler doesn’t have a prevision for this, again utility knife and hammer them on.
A cooler or a giant sub woofer is a must for support lol.
Carful with the AC condenser.
Other than that, straightforward. I didn’t use any tape for my bumper alignment.
The only thing I broke are the small air guides on the upper center bumper support.

Car feels like it pulls harder and is consistent every time.
GTI 6MT with is38 running on jb4, will report back with logs and differences over the stock GTI cooler.
Logged the car and it feels great. Outside temperature was 16 degrees Celsius. This intercooler performs extremely well and is a huge upgrade over stock.
WOT 5-10 degrees celcius above
Idle/slow cruise 10-15 degrees
Highway cruise 5 degrees above

IS38 GTI, 6mt

Happy!

Last edited by masonmarch; 05-18-2018 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:05 PM   #736
GTI7871

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonmarch View Post
Logged the car and it feels great. Outside temperature was 16 degrees Celsius. This intercooler performs extremely well and is a huge upgrade over stock.
WOT 5-10 degrees celcius above
Idle/slow cruise 10-15 degrees
Highway cruise 5 degrees above

Happy!
Itís a great upgrade over the stock unit, down here in S Florida were at 32 Degrees Celsius and my IAT is kept at 35 C after back to back runs. And it does pull harder up top now too
Old 05-18-2018, 04:31 PM   #737
masonmarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTI7871 View Post
Itís a great upgrade over the stock unit, down here in S Florida were at 32 Degrees Celsius and my IAT is kept at 35 C after back to back runs. And it does pull harder up top now too
Sweet! I'm in Ontario Canada so we will be seeing those temp's soon. Looking forward to staying cool.
Old 05-18-2018, 06:22 PM   #738
mk7gti2.0

Drives: 2016 VW Golf R
Should be installing Tuesday I can't wait! I'm already getting heatsoak in this heat.
mk7gti2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:50 PM   #739
Oldschoolmk7

Drives: Mk7 GTI
I was out running hard first time in 86 degree plus heat. After repeated 3-4th gears pulls I felt zero reduction or fall off in power. E40 helps too. .
Old 05-18-2018, 07:59 PM   #740
mk7gti2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolmk7 View Post
I was out running hard first time in 86 degree plus heat. After repeated 3-4th gears pulls I felt zero reduction or fall off in power. E40 helps too. .
You was my inspiration to buy this intercooler and honestly I'm surprised at how good the quality is on mine for 275 bux. For the performance it has it's well worth it compared to the 900 dollar ones.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:04 AM   #741
Jedimk7

Drives: 2016 GTI, PP, LP, Autobauhn,DSG
Everything you said X2, can't wait to install it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk7gti2.0 View Post
You was my inspiration to buy this intercooler and honestly I'm surprised at how good the quality is on mine for 275 bux. For the performance it has it's well worth it compared to the 900 dollar ones.
Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition
Old 05-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #742
DSC

Drives: 2016 TR GTI SE
Ordered last week, got it today. IC got here before the clips so won't be installing until next week.
Got mine off Ebay from hisinauto2015 and it's the same as the CSK model. Box was well package, no damage. Followed the advice and got bolts/mending plate.
Will grind the driver side peg from 30mm to 25mm.

If anyone wants to buy my Greddy IC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EDesign Springs/EDesign Silicone Turbo Inlet Hose/CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe/Boomba Racing shift knob & DV/K&N drop in/ECode TMD/Torque Solutions Dog Bone 75A/Shortys Short Shifter w/42DD bushings/EDesign rear sway bar w/Superpro Endlinks/Invidia catless DP/eBay CSK IC/CF "35" intake
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:54 AM   #743
mk7gti2.0

Just installed mine today, install was a pain in the ass since I did it by myself. But we'll worth it only got to drive a little bit tonight but I was getting withing 2-5 degrees above ambient on the highway and about 7 to 11 degrees during WOT. I'm boosting about 1 psi less than I was and it feels responsive and strong. Definitely recommend this intercooler for the price although installing it sucks unless you have someone to help you.
Old 05-23-2018, 11:56 AM   #744
jaypoto

Drives: 2017 Alltrack
mine went on this weekend album linked below. temps are just about 10 degrees or less above ambient at wot according to the logs. All previous logs on my datazap account show temps about 30-40 degrees above ambient at wot with the oem intercooler. This thing works great!

https://datazap.me/u/jaypoto/is20-77...18-25-26-27-28

https://imgur.com/a/DXSFi9B
jaypoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #745
DSC

Drives: 2016 TR GTI SE
Installed last night and it was a b!tch. Took 7 hrs. During the breakdown the yellow clips were faded and hard. After about 20 mins trying to unclip it I decided to cut it off.
During install there was a sizeable gap between the IC and the radiator. The top clip was nowhere near close. I did not have the tools to grind/cut and I was short on time so I just zip tied it. I figure the radiator mounting bracket will hold it together. I did not cut the driver side peg and the yellow clip did would not clip in. The passenger side did. Was a little difficult lining everything up but it all went back in (minus one screw). Also did not take out the driver side crash sensor and tore it Need to buy a new one and solder it together.
Have not driven it for an extended time but it pulls harder every time. Someone just posted a eBay FMIC. I probably would try that route since it's about the same price.
EDesign Springs/EDesign Silicone Turbo Inlet Hose/CTS Turbo Inlet Pipe/Boomba Racing shift knob & DV/K&N drop in/ECode TMD/Torque Solutions Dog Bone 75A/Shortys Short Shifter w/42DD bushings/EDesign rear sway bar w/Superpro Endlinks/Invidia catless DP/eBay CSK IC/CF "35" intake
DSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:08 PM   #746
NJ_MK7

Drives: mk7
about to pull the trigger... any 10% coupons floating around?

Last edited by NJ_MK7; 05-24-2018 at 03:13 PM.
NJ_MK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:15 PM   #747
MK717

Drives: '17 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_MK7 View Post
Not seeing any. 15% for memorial day but only on select home, outdoor, and tech items.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
2017 Pure White GTI Sport 6MT | Tomioka IHX475 | DKM Stage 3 Twin Disc Clutch | VW DG Springs | Eurodyne Stage 2 | Magic (ebay) Intercooler | MAPerformance Catted Downpipe | Vibrant 17950 Resonator | Magnaflow Catback
MK717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 03:29 PM   #748
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_MK7 View Post
Does "Spring18" work?