GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 03-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #307
marc5800

Drives: 2016 GTI DSG Autobahn (CDN)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolmk7 View Post
Omg. Complaining about a $300 IC that keeps iats around 11-12 degrees over ambient at wot consistently even in 80 degree temps?? That is pretty fucking good. Show me stock IC log that does that? That is better than some of brand name stuff! Look up cts stock location and Uni logs. 20-25 degrees over. I think Hoon’s recent log went to 61 degrees from a 38 degree ambient...?
lol I have to agree.

People need to remember this is a 300$ IC made in China. The fact that it works and keeps temps relatively lower than the OEM unit is awesome.
- Misc : ST rear sway bar | Spulen Extreme Insert mount
marc5800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #308
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
The IE definitely doesn't get within 3 of ambient on a warm engine. Maybe if I started it cold on a cold day and went WOT down my street like my idiot neighbor. Also doesn't rise 10 degrees either but a lot of variables impact that.

49F ambient

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-152...&data=1-4-6-19

Magic IC looks good to me.
Old 03-12-2018, 06:25 PM   #309
Diggs24

Ambient over 90 but less than 95 IIRC.

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-150...&data=1-4-6-19

Don't really go up to speed limiter a lot so this is the best I got for long pulls.

Let's see how the Magic does this summer but so far looks like it's doing admirably from what people are posting. Just gotta keep it out of the 115F+ range so timing doesn't suffer.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #310
TwoCans

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlienSP View Post
I had the same problem on the driver’s side clearance. The yellow clip wouldn’t snap in securely. Added 4hrs. If the IC fit the first time, I could do this in 3 hrs.
Notes:
1. Order the spare yellow clips; they are the same as the OEM form factor.
2. Take images and place blue painters tape on the bumper at the edges of the headlights for future alignment of bumper and sanity check. You won’t have to ask yourself “did it look that way before?”.
3. When you get to the crash bar, scribe around all 6 bolts for reinstallation.
4. New IC hardware uses four cap/buttonhead M5x10mm (.8) on the top-AC side, whereas the blind holes are 10mm in depth. The upper washers will be #10. I made brackets from ½” x 1/16” thick aluminum stock. Bracket length 45mm with 35mm hole spacing. If making brackets and using #10 washers, use M5x12mm. On the bottom, use two M6x10mm (1.0) cap screws.
5. You may need to file bottom slots for the radiator to have some clearance from the IC.
6. I had to file (front side) where the plastic clips from the radiator fit into the IC. A little material from the front makes it snap right in.
7. The magic IC does not have slots on the bottom of the side pegs, before transfer/installation of yellow clips, file the lower tab off from inside the yellow clip. There is still a groove/ tab at the top.
8. The Chinese yellow clips are not ultrasonically welded on both sides at the rubber-plastic interface. It actually allows more side-to-side play which may be good for installation purposes.
9. The passenger side yellow clip snapped right in; the drivers side had clearance issues and would not go in. It may be the long support peg mentioned by others. I eventually made it clip on one tab, but broke the other. As a bailout, the yellow clip has a hole on the front that is perfect for tapping to M6 and the frame has a natural through-hole. I put a M6x15mm in there for security and it tightened everything up.
10. A larger IC takes more space and moves the radiator closer to the engine. To get a ¼” more clearance between the two, bring the bottom of the IC frame forward ¼” on the crash bar mounting bolts (bottom 2 of 4 that face to the sides of car). Leave the top two in the original scribed position.
11. Check your hood latch alignment on the hood if it’s a little sticky.
Spot on for all of this, I might still post a few pictures of these but this is everything I wanted to say about what was a bit janky on the install process.

Of course the major red flag one was 5mm too much aluminum on the driver's side mounting peg. #2 was I wished I ordered a couple of the mounting clips from ebay along with the intercooler--I broke one in figuring the problem with the driver's side peg out and it was $50 locally, but $4 shipped from ebay... (5Q0121367E, parts shop made it sound like there's supposed to be a D part on the driver's side, but I had 2 E's on the stock IC).
TwoCans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #311
Oldschoolmk7

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
The IE definitely doesn't get within 3 of ambient on a warm engine. Maybe if I started it cold on a cold day and went WOT down my street like my idiot neighbor. Also doesn't rise 10 degrees either but a lot of variables impact that.

49F ambient

https://datazap.me/u/diggs24/log-152...&data=1-4-6-19

Magic IC looks good to me.
Agreed. But, from a value proposition so far it cannot be beat. The 700-800 dollar one is not a X times better performer to the dollars spent. Even if we all agree that a 3-5 or even 5-10 degrees lower iats the ($800 IC) is not going to make a bit of difference on a street car for 98% of us. I personally do not flog my car on 100 degree plus dayz.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #312
parallax

Drives: 2017 Mk7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMen View Post
Honestly, these logs are certainly much better than stock - but they don't compare to the "expensive" intercoolers. At 70 degrees ambient, the other intercoolers almost get down to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient, then climb to about 10 over during a longer pull. Your logs are very short, and let off at 5500 rpm but still never get within 10 degrees of ambient temps (60).

for comparison - APR log at 73 degrees ambient - https://datazap.me/u/fjames/log-1487...4.00&tmax=4.50

So while these look like nice inexpensive options, I really can't see them compared to an IE or APR. There is a difference it appears.
It's like rooting for the other sports team to fail, because you've invested so much into your team, your well-being literally rests upon the outcome of a game. You'll pick and prod at any little thing, and even cheer (if only in silence) if the opposing team's star player gets injured.

As others have said, this was never about a "eBay vs. Big Brand XYZ". Any mention of that has been in jest. It is excitement over an affordable, decently built product that brings us closer to our personal definition of driving nirvana. The initial logs look promising, and for $254 shipped, I don't mind busting out the file and playing a little Tetris to get things to fit.
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #313
Oldschoolmk7

It is ultimately all about the value proposition people. On most car forums we all measure are manhood by how fast our cars are. I would guess 99.9% of us (driving a vw) are not independently wealthy. I’m pretty sure by now we have shown the ebay dp’s and IC are a very viable option. Data backs that up.

Let’s take two people we will call Barry and Eric. And for the sake of argument they both have exactly $3000 to spend on mods. The GTI’s are same make, model, options, and even color. Barry really wants the APR stickers on his car so he goes APR only for all his mods. Three grand later Barry has (4 large stickers) a cast dp, intercooler, and bench flash tuning for his ride. Eric has purchased some ebay parts, a few other add on’s, cobb AP w/ custom tune, and a used is38 with his money. Which car is faster? Looks like Eric’s dong is going to take the win... .
Old 03-12-2018, 08:02 PM   #314
nate704

Drives: 2017 R
Quote:
It is ultimately all about the value proposition people. On most car forums we all measure are manhood by how fast our cars are. I would guess 99.9% of us (driving a vw) are not independently wealthy. I’m pretty sure by now we have shown the ebay dp’s and IC are a very viable option. Data backs that up.

Let’s take two people we will call Barry and Eric. And for the sake of argument they both have exactly $3000 to spend on mods. The GTI’s are same make, model, options, and even color. Barry really wants the APR stickers on his car so he goes APR only for all his mods. Three grand later Barry has (4 large stickers) a cast dp, intercooler, and bench flash tuning for his ride. Eric has purchased some ebay parts, cobb AP w/ custom tune, and a used is38 with his money. Which car is faster? Looks like Eric’s dong is going to take the win... .
Barry's setup is proven for a long time, but Eric's setup (for the ebay parts, and uncertainty of used is38) is only initial stage which is not proven over time yet. doesn't mean it is bad, but it just needs more time to be verified.
nate704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #315
Diggs24

Sorry, couldn't hear you over the clanging of my gold coins as I swam through them.

Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #316
Oldschoolmk7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate704 View Post
Barry's setup is proven for a long time, but Eric's setup (for the ebay parts, and uncertainty of used is38) is only initial stage which is not proven over time yet. doesn't mean it is bad, but it just needs more time to be verified.
That too. Patience to wait out the players and mods. In the end, more money to spend elsewhere.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:07 PM   #317
nate704

Drives: 2017 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
Sorry, couldn't hear you over the clanging of my gold coins as I swam through them.

I would not swim it even if I had a lot of them because money is dirty (literally...full of germs and more) lol
nate704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:16 PM   #318
Hoon

Drives: '17 GTI Sport DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by parallax View Post
It's like rooting for the other sports team to fail, because you've invested so much into your team, your well-being literally rests upon the outcome of a game. You'll pick and prod at any little thing, and even cheer (if only in silence) if the opposing team's star player gets injured.

As others have said, this was never about a "eBay vs. Big Brand XYZ". Any mention of that has been in jest. It is excitement over an affordable, decently built product that brings us closer to our personal definition of driving nirvana. The initial logs look promising, and for $254 shipped, I don't mind busting out the file and playing a little Tetris to get things to fit.

I just want good data, apples / apples so people can make informed decisions.

It's not an ego thing for me.

Anyone putting one of these Chinacoolers on an IS38 car?

Happy to figure out a procedure to do equivalent logs so people can see the smallest name brand IC (Uni) vs the Magic.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #319
2SlowNoMo

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport Tornado Red DSG
Quote:
Honestly, these logs are certainly much better than stock - but they don't compare to the "expensive" intercoolers. At 70 degrees ambient, the other intercoolers almost get down to within 3 or 4 degrees of ambient, then climb to about 10 over during a longer pull. Your logs are very short, and let off at 5500 rpm but still never get within 10 degrees of ambient temps (60).

for comparison - APR log at 73 degrees ambient - https://datazap.me/u/fjames/log-1487...4.00&tmax=4.50

So while these look like nice inexpensive options, I really can't see them compared to an IE or APR. There is a difference it appears.
Isn't your log only 15 seconds long?

Quote:
Agreed. But, from a value proposition so far it cannot be beat. The 700-800 dollar one is not a X times better performer to the dollars spent. Even if we all agree that a 3-5 or even 5-10 degrees lower iats the ($800 IC) is not going to make a bit of difference on a street car for 98% of us. I personally do not flog my car on 100 degree plus dayz.
Agreed. this IC is still going to pull IATs down significantly on these cars, and the cooling that is left on the table for the DD GTI owner will not be missed and I think would be hard to detect in a butt dyno situation and probably not that significant on a real dyno. if the top IC makers are claiming support for 600hp plus setups, even if this supports 450hp, I will never come close to that with my car anyway.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:22 PM   #320
Oldschoolmk7

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post

Happy to figure out a procedure to do equivalent logs so people can see the smallest name brand IC (Uni) vs the Magic.
Love Hoon. He’s a baller. You could swing $300 to do a comparison?? .
Old 03-12-2018, 08:24 PM   #321
MadMen

Drives: 2015 S3 DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoon View Post

Exactly. For me, I've been following this to see if it truly is an option for me. My needs can certainly be different than others though. I'm looking for an IC that can withstand multiple back to back hard runs over a minute or so during each run (Autocross). Fighting IAT temps on each subsequent run at the AutoX is my biggest problem.

This is very different than someone looking for a good choice for running the 1/4 mile, and those 2 are both different than the guy running the road course.

And of course, there's Ricky Bobby out on the streets, which this is a perfect solution for already.
MadMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #322
MadMen

Drives: 2015 S3 DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SlowNoMo View Post
Isn't your log only 15 seconds long?
That's not my log. Just one I found during research. But it's a 4th gear log up to near redline. The logs posted above are 3rd gear, letting off at 5500. Not complaining, just feel like I'm waiting for a good ending to my sitcom, but it gets cancelled before they can film the finale.
MadMen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 08:34 PM   #323
2SlowNoMo

Drives: 2017 GTI Sport Tornado Red DSG
Quote:
That's not my log. Just one I found during research. But it's a 4th gear log up to near redline. The logs posted above are 3rd gear, letting off at 5500. Not complaining, just feel like I'm waiting for a good ending to my sitcom, but it gets cancelled before they can film the finale.
lol. true.