GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 06-25-2018, 06:15 PM   #1
Mbq0308

Drives: 2015 GTI S
Turbo whine during cold start

Recently I started getting this noise coming from the turbo during my cold starts and about 5 minutes into driving. Its a weird whining noise that almost sounds like a dremel when letting off the gas and i have no clue why. Is this normal?
Mbq0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #2
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
It goes away after warming up? That's the sound of a failing turbo. Are you modded?
Old 06-25-2018, 06:26 PM   #3
RoidRage

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs24 View Post
It goes away after warming up? That's the sound of a failing turbo. Are you modded?
His issues are on decel though vs accel it seems. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Prolly best to make a video. My Turbos always made a slight whine (maybe I'm not hearing the turbos and something else in the engine??) on decel also. But everything time I changed turbos (or partout) turbos have been ROCK solid. Not a bit of shaft play at all on both my IS20 or IS38.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #4
Diggs24

Drives: 2015 GTI; 2003 Saab 9-3 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoidRage View Post
His issues are on decel though vs accel it seems. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Prolly best to make a video. My Turbos always made a slight whine (maybe I'm not hearing the turbos and something else in the engine??) on decel also. But everything time I changed turbos (or partout) turbos have been ROCK solid. Not a bit of shaft play at all on both my IS20 or IS38.
Ahh, hadn't noticed it said decel.

Yeah, my DSG whine is louder than anything else.
Old 06-25-2018, 08:16 PM   #5
Mbq0308

Quote:

Maybe the best bet for me is to check the shaft for any play. Im stage 2 with fbo
Old 06-25-2018, 09:09 PM   #6
RoidRage

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbq0308 View Post
Maybe the best bet for me is to check the shaft for any play. Im stage 2 with fbo
For sure that is the best way to know for sure. Most people check the Exhaust side. Not too hard just have to shift the DP aside. But just to be sure sure i would check both sides.

Check both in and out and side to side movement.
RoidRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 10:11 PM   #7
Mbq0308

Quote:
For sure that is the best way to know for sure. Most people check the Exhaust side. Not too hard just have to shift the DP aside. But just to be sure sure i would check both sides.

Check both in and out and side to side movement.
Alright thanks so much for the helpful tips
Old 09-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #8
NBMK7GTI

Drives: 2015 VW Gti S
Did you ever find anything out? I recently just posted about this. Went back to my stock is20 and had this start happening.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:52 PM   #9
bobyjane1234

Drives: MK7 GTI DSG
Mine has a slowly winding in low to high pitch sound every time from 50-60km/h. Only thing I added to the Turbo inlet pipe. i'll have to check if i screwed something up ><.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:43 AM   #10
basqueinthesun

Drives: 2017 GTI sport
ive noticed this with my car as well, only happens going slow in 1st gear when i let off the gas pedal. definitely doesnt sound normal but i keep putting off taking it into the dealership to check it out
basqueinthesun is offline   Reply With Quote