GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Infotainment, Electronics, Navigation, Phone (Audio / Video / Electronics)

Old 05-17-2018, 01:34 AM   #1
chilly

Drives: Ram 1500
2018 S/SE head unit differences (6.5"vs.8")

They dropped fender audio for SE in 2018 so I'm leaning towards an S. The infotainment is another step down from the SE to the S though, and I'm wondering if the main sound/amplifier/speakers is different, or just features and screen. Does anyone know much about it?

What I know:
Autobahn - "Discover Media(tm)" 8in screen, Nav, Fender, Voice, HD, CD, aux-in.
SE - "Composition Media(tm)" 8in screen, deletes (fender/sub, nav)
S - "Composition Color(tm)" 6.5in screen, deletes (voice, HD, CD, aux-in, XM)

I don't mind the smaller screen or any of the other deletes for S. But I'd like to know if it's the same internals or interfaces or speakers for upgrading as the SE. Is there a name (MIBII?) or J685 (@c3156 mentioned in his 2017 upgrade thread) that I could reference to search for tips?

Last edited by chilly; 05-17-2018 at 02:13 AM. Reason: S actually is a touchscreen
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #2
c3156

Drives: 07 GTI, 09 TDI (Gone), 17 GTI Sport
I would recommend you visit a VW dealer to hear for yourself.

Not having sat in a new 2018, I would be willing to bet that the S has a near identical sound setup that my Sport model has. Touchscreen with HU in the glove box and eight (8) speakers (4 tweeters & 4 mid-range). No amps, but AM/FM/CD/Sirius and App-Connect which works with Android Auto or CarPlay.

The difference with the Fender is that the signal comes out of the glove box, is converted to digital, run through a DSP/amp, and then sent to the speakers. Plus an optional amp/sub in the trunk. Sounds nicer but a little more difficult to upgrade. Not sure about if the speakers are a little nicer (I think they are better quality).

Not sure what you are looking to achieve.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
KevinC

Drives: '16 Golf R, '17 Kawasaki Versys 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillax View Post
The S must still have Voice, HD, CD, and XM. My 2015 - S with the old crappy infotainment center has all those.
Wrong, it doesn't have any of those features. What does your '15 having any particular feature have to do with whether or not it's still around for '18? Lots of stuff has been cheapened out over the last 3 years.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:17 AM   #4
chillax

Drives: 15 Golf TSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Wrong, it doesn't have any of those features. What does your '15 having any particular feature have to do with whether or not it's still around for '18? Lots of stuff has been cheapened out over the last 3 years.
I see you are right about the 2018 S trim. I test drove a 2017 S which has "Touchscreen sound system with proximity sensor, CD player, AM/FM/HD Radio, SD memory card reader, and voice control." I am really surprised they removed features in this year's model, especially with the new Jetta receiving a much needed tech overall.
chillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #5
chilly

Drives: Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c3156 View Post
Not sure what you are looking to achieve.
Mostly am just looking ahead to what upgrade paths might be available. When I'm searching around I want to be able to know what someone did on a 2016 non-fender would still work on this one.... that type of thing.

I see some mentions of MIBIII but not much. I"m not sure what MIBII means, but I see it thrown about a lot. So was thinking maybe things have changed. I guess it doesn't really matter at this point because the Fender is only on the Autobahn in 18' and that's way out of my budget.
chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
mbradlawrence

Drives: bmw/vw
Subbed. Also want to know if anyone has recoded MIBII to output low level?
mbradlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #7
c3156

Drives: 07 GTI, 09 TDI (Gone), 17 GTI Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbradlawrence View Post
Subbed. Also want to know if anyone has recoded MIBII to output low level?
Do you mean recode the MIBII to bypass the Fender to have speaker level outputs, then yes:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29694

If you are looking for low level outputs, use an LOC or run your high level outputs to a DSP (my recommendation).
Old 05-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #8
stuntnuts

Drives: 2016 GSW
I looked over a 2018 S this past weekend. The radio is all inclusive in the head unit/screen. There is literally nothing in the glovebox.

It does have an SD Card slot....on the head unit. Sadly, S models do not come with a trial of SiriusXM and I don't believe these radios are even compatible with it.
stuntnuts is offline   Reply With Quote