GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 02-22-2018, 04:34 AM   #1
Mini7

Drives: '17 GTi PP
2017 GTi PP at VIR

Tracked my daily driver at VIR. My regular track car was undergoing some repairs. Car is stock other than Pagid track pads and performance friction brake fluid.

Iím really impressed with how the Mk7 performed on track.

Here are some YouTube links.

https://youtu.be/ZzKoiu7D3Ag

https://youtu.be/Gc0yLvf-elQ

https://youtu.be/zZXEbqYCxT4

Anyone else here run at VIR?

Thanks
Joe
Mini7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
jmason

Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini7 View Post
Anyone else here run at VIR?
Not yet. It's on my list!
P3 Cars Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Conti DWS06 235/40 on Neuspeed REs12 18 x 8 Bronze or RE71R on RSE16 17 x 8.5 Bronze | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Eurocode Adj F & R SBs | SuperPro and Eurocode End Links | Brembo 330mm BBK | RS3 Brake Ducts | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels w TT Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:43 PM   #3
Mathuemc

Drives: Pure White MK7
Does the brake fluid make that much of a difference? Also, would steel brake lines also be advised?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Mathuemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathuemc View Post
Does the brake fluid make that much of a difference? Also, would steel brake lines also be advised?

For track work, yes I would definitely flush and use a high performance brake fluid. Ran 4- track days on the same performance friction fluid. No problems. My third HPDE weekend, I cooked the fluid. That knocked my confidence going into the brakes zones.

From now on, I will be flushing and putting new fluid in for every DE weekend as part of my preparation.

Stainless lines will help with ďfeelĒ. Iím still running stock lines. I would burn up a set of stock pads on track. After 6-days on track, I will need a set of new front rotors.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:00 AM   #5
Colowyo

Drives: 2016 Autobahn
I haven’t tracked my GTI yet. But have numerous other cars. There is nothing worse than going “condition brown” at the end of a straight when your pedal goes to the floor.

Definitely do the fluid.
Colowyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:26 AM   #6
Mini7

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colowyo View Post
I havenít tracked my GTI yet. But have numerous other cars. There is nothing worse than going ďcondition brownĒ at the end of a straight when your pedal goes to the floor.

Definitely do the fluid.
Totally agree. Even the good stuff needs changing out. I had to do the flush and bleed Sat evening after leaving skid marks in my boxers in my last session. I managed to keep the Gti on track. Not a good feeling at all.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:20 AM   #7
Mathuemc

Really, a set of pads gone after one track day? I have yet to do my first one, but sounds this will cost me more than I thought.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:23 AM   #8
big residual

Drives: Golf R
Definitely upgrade to SRF or RBF600/660 for brake fluid. Much higher wet and dry boiling points, less likely to let you cool your fluid. I change out every 2 mos or so during track season, which is probably 4-6 events. I think itís paranoid but healthy. Pads last me a long time, rotors were only down 1-2 mm after a full seasonócaveat: I run a StopTech BBK on my R and it makes brake life easier overall.
big residual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #9
NoGodGetOverIt

Drives: 2017 GTI SE/DSG
Are you still on the stock Cinturatos? Looks like you were holding the corners pretty well!
NoGodGetOverIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #10
Mini7

Quote:
Really, a set of pads gone after one track day? I have yet to do my first one, but sounds this will cost me more than I thought.

I have 6-days and 5000 miles on my pagids. Still plenty of life left in the pads. Iím saying that I would get stock pads to fade were I to run them on track. Once they are glazed due to excessive heat they are pretty much toast and not effective in slowing you down. If you are going out for the first time you may be OK depending on how you use the brakes. But if you have progressed out of the novice run groups you will be starting to compress your brake zones. Stock pads are going to fade. My PP rotors have minimal wear with the pagid pads but have heat cracks. Still useable on the road but for another 2-day track weekend, I would not be comfortable using them so they will be replaced. Itís just not worth the risk.
Old 02-23-2018, 01:43 PM   #11
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by big residual View Post
Definitely upgrade to SRF or RBF600/660 for brake fluid. Much higher wet and dry boiling points, less likely to let you cool your fluid. I change out every 2 mos or so during track season, which is probably 4-6 events. I think itís paranoid but healthy. Pads last me a long time, rotors were only down 1-2 mm after a full seasonócaveat: I run a StopTech BBK on my R and it makes brake life easier overall.
I used to run the same brake flush schedule as you on my Mini with a BBK. The system has a much greater heat soak capacity over a stock system. The PP BRakes worked way better on track than I expected but I definitely use them up running White Solo. Rotors and pads last close to two seasons on my Mini running at VIR. Shorter tighter tracks may use up brakes and tires a lot faster.

Iím going to flush after every weekend based on my last experience.
Old 02-23-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
Mathuemc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini7 View Post
I have 6-days and 5000 miles on my pagids. Still plenty of life left in the pads. Iím saying that I would get stock pads to fade were I to run them on track. Once they are glazed due to excessive heat they are pretty much toast and not effective in slowing you down. If you are going out for the first time you may be OK depending on how you use the brakes. But if you have progressed out of the novice run groups you will be starting to compress your brake zones. Stock pads are going to fade. My PP rotors have minimal wear with the pagid pads but have heat cracks. Still useable on the road but for another 2-day track weekend, I would not be comfortable using them so they will be replaced. Itís just not worth the risk.
Gotcha, thanks for the info!

Old 02-24-2018, 02:05 AM   #13
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodGetOverIt View Post
Are you still on the stock Cinturatos? Looks like you were holding the corners pretty well!
Nope.

The OEM A/S Bridgestones sucked on the track. I changed to Michelin PS4S when the weather forecast called for rain at VIR for my second event of the year. Still had some life in my Bridgestone after 22,000miles but was concerned about tread depth on a wet track.

The Michelin PS4S were excellent on a very wet Saturday. In the dry, I dropped my Lap time by 5-sec at VIR. I hauled butt up through the climbing essess. Stock suspension doesnít give me the front end bite I would like. The car needs more camber to reduce the understeer. Consistently pulled 1g in the corners. 1.1g in some. I bugged the heck out of some faster cars in the corners. Got spanked on straights but that is to be expected with only 220hp.

Considering some SuperPro Control arms and Vorschlag camber plates to sharpen up the handling. Then some 17Ē track wheels. I got to remind myself that my GTi is my backup track car to my Mini. LOL!
Old 02-24-2018, 02:46 AM   #14
RadioFlyer

Drives: GSX-Rs ~ '05 GLS TDI ~ '16 GTI SE PP DCC LP MT
Thanks for posting!
Old 02-24-2018, 06:27 AM   #15
Mathuemc

pretty close lap times there!
Old 02-26-2018, 05:50 PM   #16
tripleS

Drives: 15 GTI S 6MT/LP/PP (Sport prototype ;)
Very nice! I've also done a couple weekends at VIR Full but with NASA last year. The uphill esses are a blast - it definitely looked like you were carrying good speed through them and using those curbs, stock suspension can absorb those like they're nothing .
Old 02-28-2018, 03:35 AM   #17
Mini7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
Very nice! I've also done a couple weekends at VIR Full but with NASA last year. The uphill esses are a blast - it definitely looked like you were carrying good speed through them and using those curbs, stock suspension can absorb those like they're nothing .
The uphill esses are a challenge but so much fun. For the most part I can close up on others cars through here. Iím going as fast as I dare. Got to feather the throttle some as the front washes out especially through turn 9 which makes it hard to stay track right to set up for turn 10. Stock suspension helps ride the curbs for sure. The car needs front camber to improve turn it and reduce understeer.

You are using the same pagid front pads as I am. How do you like them?
What are you using on the rear?