GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 08:11 PM   #1
normcaldwell
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Audi S3
Location: Denver, Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 583
RacingLine Golf MK7 Oil Cooler

Just came across this on their site. Looks pretty good.
Probably pricey; but may be a good thing for the track.

https://www.racingline.com/golf7oilcooler
__________________
2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
normcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:19 PM   #2
Sandman GTI
Senior Member
 
Sandman GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Location: Tennessee USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,436
Easy fit in design.
I assume the oil filter now switched to a screw on canister?
Would it be a cannon part?
__________________
Sandman
My Build Thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100
Sandman GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
normcaldwell
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Audi S3
Location: Denver, Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman GTI View Post
Easy fit in design.
I assume the oil filter now switched to a screw on canister?
Would it be a cannon part?
I don't know for sure; but I would expect that the canister would still work with the stock oil filter stick and slide-on filter.
I wish the site had an installation manual to download.
__________________
2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
normcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 08:41 PM   #4
Gti jake
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI 6MT
Location: Charlotte, NC
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,753
But what’s it cost?
__________________
'16 GTI 6MT PM for NC/SC help with Installs & Fabrication

Baun Performance https://facebook.com/Baun-Performance-406768406417784/

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...QYExsTq8fhQhmg
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #5
Sandman GTI
Senior Member
 
Sandman GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Location: Tennessee USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,436
I will bid $250.
A guess as I have not looked up other units.

If wrapped in CF then $750.
__________________
Sandman
My Build Thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100
Sandman GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
Sandman GTI
Senior Member
 
Sandman GTI's Avatar
 
Drives: GTI MK7 Autobahn, PP, DCC+LP, 97 F-150 4.6L V8
Location: Tennessee USA
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 8,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
I don't know for sure; but I would expect that the canister would still work with the stock oil filter stick and slide-on filter.
I wish the site had an installation manual to download.
The new filter part looks like it would have a small center threaded hole to screw on. Wishing I could reuse my CTS finned oil filter cover but I think not.
__________________
Sandman
My Build Thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6100

Last edited by Sandman GTI; 01-28-2018 at 01:11 AM.
Sandman GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 12:47 AM   #7
TecklenburgVW
Senior Member
 
TecklenburgVW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf R w/ Tech Tornado Red
Location: Saint Cloud, FL
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,484
Sub'd, will read up on this later tonight. I suspect they plan to release a similar system for the DSG too.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
TecklenburgVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 06:48 AM   #8
tripleS
Member
 
tripleS's Avatar
 
Drives: 15 GTI S 6MT/LP/PP (Sport prototype ;)
Location: Maryland
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 62
I'm guessing it'll end up being around $399 or thereabouts. Most of the VWR parts are nice, but can be pricey (see the AOS). But let's thank the lord it won't be made of carbon fiber and end up being around $600.

How high are folks seeing oil temps go on track with the typical stage2 or IS38? I've seen mid-250s completely stock, not sure if much higher would be cause for alarm.
__________________
2015 GTI S 6MT/PP/LP | BFI catch can | Bilstein B8s + Neuspeed Sports | ST RSB | Pagid RSL29(f) | TT RS air guides | Neuspeed RSe10 18x8.5 gunmetal
tripleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #9
TecklenburgVW
Senior Member
 
TecklenburgVW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf R w/ Tech Tornado Red
Location: Saint Cloud, FL
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
I'm guessing it'll end up being around $399 or thereabouts. Most of the VWR parts are nice, but can be pricey (see the AOS). But let's thank the lord it won't be made of carbon fiber and end up being around $600.

How high are folks seeing oil temps go on track with the typical stage2 or IS38? I've seen mid-250s completely stock, not sure if much higher would be cause for alarm.
Stock power in July at Sebring - oil temps can reach 270+.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
TecklenburgVW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM   #10
jmason
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 293
I wonder if you can snake an extractor tube down the hoses to suck out oil during an oil change. But then, how do you fill it? The oil in the hoses and cooler doesn't drain back into the sump. I would guess there is at least 1/2 qt of oil in the hoses and cooler.

Around $400 would be nice, but I suspect it will be higher.
__________________
P3 Cars Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Conti DWS06 235/40 on Neuspeed REs12 18 x 8 Bronze or RE71R on RSE16 17 x 8.5 Bronze | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Eurocode Adj F & R SBs | SuperPro and Eurocode End Links | Brembo 330mm BBK | RS3 Brake Ducts | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels w TT Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit

Last edited by jmason; 01-28-2018 at 03:37 PM.
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:58 PM   #11
normcaldwell
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Audi S3
Location: Denver, Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecklenburgVW View Post
Sub'd, will read up on this later tonight. I suspect they plan to release a similar system for the DSG too.
I'd be interested as well in a DSG cooling product designed for the MK7 GTI.
Doesn't the R already have an auxiliary DSG oil cooler?


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
I wonder if you can snake an extractor tube down the hoses to suck out oil during an oil change. But then, how do you fill it? The oil in the hoses and cooler doesn't drain back into the sump. I would guess there is at least 1/2 qt of oil in the hoses and cooler.

Around $400 would be nice, but I suspect it will be higher.
Yeah, it might be that the 1/2 quart, along with some oil at the bottom of the filter canister, will be mixed in with the fresh oil. I change my engine oil rather frequently, so I think it would be o.k.
__________________
2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
normcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #12
carchrism5
Senior Member
 
carchrism5's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 GTI Sport
Location: CT
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 379
That looks very nice, if below $400 it would be hard to say now, but I think that is a very very slim probability.
carchrism5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #13
jmason
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2015 GTI S 4 Door 6MT Night Blue Metallic with LP
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 293
My guess is closer to $700. I hope Iím wrong.
__________________
P3 Cars Display | Bilstein PSS10 | Conti DWS06 235/40 on Neuspeed REs12 18 x 8 Bronze or RE71R on RSE16 17 x 8.5 Bronze | Cross-Drilled and Slotted rear Rotors | Short Shift Kit | Tyrolsport Deadset | BFI Catch Can | Eurocode Adj F & R SBs | SuperPro and Eurocode End Links | Brembo 330mm BBK | RS3 Brake Ducts | Solid Shifter Bushings | SuperPro Alloy 0006K LCA | CSS Swivels w TT Bearings | Wavetrac LSD | RSR Clutch Kit
jmason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #14
teemmy
Senior Member
 
teemmy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 GTI
Location: Bay Area, CA
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 592
Hrm... knowing VWR it will be pricey. I wouldn't be surprised if it's $500-600
__________________
2015 White GTI S 6MT LP

EQ protuned IHX475 / RSR / Wavetrac
teemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 03:30 PM   #15
RadioFlyer
Senior Member
 
RadioFlyer's Avatar
 
Drives: GSX-Rs ~ '05 GLS TDI ~ '16 GTI SE PP DCC LP MT
Location: Southeast, USA on a track
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
Just came across this on their site. Looks pretty good.
Probably pricey; but may be a good thing for the track.

https://www.racingline.com/golf7oilcooler

In lieu of VWR import rumors, maybe you already found this set up....looks like a bad dream to install.

Name:  iABED Industries oil cooler.jpg
Views: 1366
Size:  86.9 KB

Performance numbers read very good tho.
__________________
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:58 PM   #16
normcaldwell
Senior Member
 
Drives: 2016 Audi S3
Location: Denver, Colorado
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer View Post
In lieu of VWR import rumors, maybe you already found this set up....looks like a bad dream to install.

Performance numbers read very good tho.
Their pic shows it installed in what looks like an MK6, and the ad does not specify which EA888 version.
Agreed on the bad dream observation . . . lol
__________________
2016 Audi S3, Misano Red Pearl Effect, Prestige, Black Optic, S Sport Seats.
normcaldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #17
TecklenburgVW
Senior Member
 
TecklenburgVW's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 Golf R w/ Tech Tornado Red
Location: Saint Cloud, FL
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 1,484
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcaldwell View Post
Their pic shows it installed in what looks like an MK6, and the ad does not specify which EA888 version.
Agreed on the bad dream observation . . . lol
That is for the EA888 generation 3.

Aka, EA888.3

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
TecklenburgVW is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.