GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocrossing / Driving Techniques

Old 02-09-2014, 04:27 PM   #18
gtiw7

Drives: MK7 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by MukulJuriagtimk7 View Post
I agree, i got 6.73 without putting it into S mode and by using the manual mode! Shifting yourself seems to do the trick with the jumping and jerking too. Thanks GTIW7
anytime bro, glad to help you can get even better if you keep trying

btw I got 14.24 @158.99km/h in the drag....seems like a good time for GTIs running our rubbish 91 octane fuel!
gtiw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:30 PM   #19
Clapperhighs

Drives: '15 Audi S3 / 1983 Porsche 944
Wheel hop is very common on a FWD platform. The movement of the engine under load causes movement in the drivetrain all the way to the wheels. So the tires are fighting traction and being wiggled by the engine at the same time.

Almost every company made a torque arm insert for the MK6 which fixed the issue for the most part. Keeps the engine from torquing back and forth. Engine mounts help as well. Im not aware of anyone making inserts for this platform yet.. But i guarantee they will!

Mods: Eurodyne 1.5 : P3 VIDI Gauge : Neuspeed Turbo Discharge Conversion Kit : AFE Intake : 034 Insert : ECS Flush kit : Pirelli PZ4
Clapperhighs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 03:44 PM   #20
vdubpwr

Drives: mk7 gti
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapperhighs View Post
Wheel hop is very common on a FWD platform. The movement of the engine under load causes movement in the drivetrain all the way to the wheels. So the tires are fighting traction and being wiggled by the engine at the same time.

Almost every company made a torque arm insert for the MK6 which fixed the issue for the most part. Keeps the engine from torquing back and forth. Engine mounts help as well. Im not aware of anyone making inserts for this platform yet.. But i guarantee they will!
THIS.

I ran hoosier slicks for drag racing and going to the car hangouts for a while. The complete fix for the wheel hop was a VFengineering pendulum mount, after I went through 2 inserts ofcourse... After that, the car never wheel hoped again, and felt alot tighter. You can also feel the improved throttle response and a deeper growl from the exhaust while on idle.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:51 PM   #21
the bruce
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clapperhighs View Post

Agree with this, it's common whisdom on the Mk.V/VI GTI and still present on the Mk.VII.
The GTI shares the same soft engine mounts as most (if not all) 1.8/2.0T transverse
engine VAG models (Passat etc.). Sadly VW does not fit stiffer parts to the sportier cars.
These mounts quickly detoriate if driven hard and wheel hop gets even worse with age.

Only cure: Get stiffer engine mounts. Best bets on the Mk.V/VI were THS and Vibratechnics.
Hope they'll make similar parts for the MQB platform soon. The pendulum mount insert does
not fix the issue completely, at least not long term.
the bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #22
jwilkins88

Drives: Black 2015 4-door Golf GTI S
Yep... Motor mounts are what you need. Every FWD car has the same issue with stock motor mounts
jwilkins88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #23
whackamac

Drives: '15 Stage 2 FBO GTI
0 wheel hop with mods in sig. All powwwwwwwa!!!!!
'17 GTI Sport DSG|5150 E40 Tune|APR TCU|CTS FMIC|CTS Throttle/Charge Pipes|CTS TMD/TI|Injen Intake|DV+|CTS Catless Turboback|ST XTA|H&R RSB|Neuspeed Endlinks|Eurocom F/R Braces|USP Brake Lines-Motul600|EBC Yellowstuff|Audi RS3 Brake Ducts|Revo Engine-Trans-Torque Mount|Stud Kit|Schroth 4 Point|Front Badge Delete|
whackamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #24
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Wheel hop is quite common.

There is a lot of information on the forum concerning. See here:

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showth...ghlight=torque
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:07 AM   #25
Wolf799

Drives: GTI MkVII
How do you engage launch control on these? Is it just like the Mk6? I can't find it in the manual.
Wolf799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:36 AM   #26
SM075180

Drives: 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 6MT
I have the 6 speed manual in my '17 and get wheel hop like crazy when letting the clutch out ~2-3000rpm in 1st

I would love if someone could educate me on mods that can tighten things up?
It scared me the first few times, thought it was or some engine component grinding to hell after dropping the clutch (relatively slowly)

Didn't know what it was until I watched the video's linked by Tyrant (Thanks btw)
Old 08-05-2017, 06:17 AM   #27
Gti jake

Drives: GTI 6MT
Terrible wheel hop comes standard...it's the overly soft engine, trans, and dog bone mounts.

There's TONS of info on this around here. I personally suggest at least a BFI dog bone mount insert, but I run all three of their stage 2 mounts and love them

Baun Performance https://facebook.com/Baun-Performance-406768406417784/

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu8...QYExsTq8fhQhmg
Gti jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #28
Finglonga

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by SM075180 View Post
I have the 6 speed manual in my '17 and get wheel hop like crazy when letting the clutch out ~2-3000rpm in 1st

I would love if someone could educate me on mods that can tighten things up?
It scared me the first few times, thought it was or some engine component grinding to hell after dropping the clutch (relatively slowly)

Didn't know what it was until I watched the video's linked by Tyrant (Thanks btw)
Holy thread resurrection batman.

Dogbone insert = no wheel hop. Simple cheap fix, had one on mine for over 2 years.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:33 PM   #29
SM075180

Drives: 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE 6MT
Haha thanks guys! I'm new on here so everything is new to me. Didn't even realize this was two years old until you mentioned the resurrection.

I'll check out the dog bone inserts. It's mostly a daily driver until I get the itch to remind myself I dumped a dodge dart for the GTI and now have some oomph under the hood.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #30
Finglonga

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI Performance
Probably better than starting a new thread then someone linking you to this one.

Do a search on here for the 034Motorsport dogbone mount seems to be the best value and that is the one I have.
Old 08-06-2017, 04:09 PM   #31
lucyfek

Drives: 16 GTI S 2 door 6MT, 02 zx3
Can someone enlighten me regarding mechanics linking engine mounts and wheel hop? My understanding is that the issue is strictly caused by high engine torque, limited tire traction and ECS cutting power momentarily and resulting feedback loop (as the whole system is reacting to detected loss of traction and not really preventing it so the cycle keeps repeating until the driver takes foot off the gas or the vehicle is at the speed/in gear where overcoming tire grip is no longer possible). I've observed it myself couple of times - particularly when I let the engine rev way too high for my forward speed. Also rough/bumpy road surface helps break tire/road contact and makes the issue more likely to happen. As much a limitation of FWD as the driver error.
lucyfek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM   #32
Rgraphic

Drives: GTI MK7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyfek View Post
Can someone enlighten me regarding mechanics linking engine mounts and wheel hop? My understanding is that the issue is strictly caused by high engine torque, limited tire traction and ECS cutting power momentarily and resulting feedback loop (as the whole system is reacting to detected loss of traction and not really preventing it so the cycle keeps repeating until the driver takes foot off the gas or the vehicle is at the speed/in gear where overcoming tire grip is no longer possible). I've observed it myself couple of times - particularly when I let the engine rev way too high for my forward speed. Also rough/bumpy road surface helps break tire/road contact and makes the issue more likely to happen. As much a limitation of FWD as the driver error.
I think you nailed it.

Exactly what I’ve been trying to put together when I had very bad thudding and loss of power trying to accelerate fast from a light when the roads were slick. Forgot to turn off stability/traction control. Thudded, lost power and felt like wheel hop. Been wondering if I caused any damage to components...though everything seems normal after.
Rgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:37 AM   #33
Hulk

Drives: '16 GTI Tornado Red, MT, 3dr
Even when you hold the traction control button down it doesnít solve it. Iíll still get the light and torque limiter kicking in. Better than not doing it though. Itís fíed me on launches before.

OBDeleven solve this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
APR | Southbend Stage 3 Daily | Neuspeed | Conti ExtremeContact Sport| 034 | VWR | Hotchkis | SuperPro | Magnaflow | Pwrhaus | Raceseng | Maxton | RFB Headlights | Cherry Euro Tails | OBDeleven | BMS Clutch Stop | deAutoLED
Hulk SMASH
Hulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 08:38 AM   #34
cbr600rr

Drives: 2018 GTI Autobahn
Periodic wheel hop shouldn't cause damage... but cars with added power, and more rarely stock cars, have cracked or broken engine mounts due to wheel hop... but in most situations ist just a huge inconvenience.
cbr600rr is offline   Reply With Quote