GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Golf Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 01-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #69
TwinDad

Drives: 2016 sportwagen
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergemcgraw83 View Post
Yes I know what it does. I am asking how does the software know you are not wanting an ADDED #psi VS a TARGET OF #psi
Anything more than 10psi at 1500 sets it to target. That is its switch. under that it stays additive
TwinDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #70
George Smooth

Drives: Golf 7 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinDad View Post
Have you thought about the meth injection from BMS? Can you get it over there?
Eurospec 1.8TFSI will use completely different settings to the US spec. It runs far lower boost.
George Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #71
TwinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Smooth View Post
Eurospec 1.8TFSI will use completely different settings to the US spec. It runs far lower boost.
It seems like they are making good power though. Is that due to the secondary injection? What I lose is different. Are we capable of more here then?
Old 01-09-2017, 07:01 PM   #72
George Smooth

Drives: Golf 7 R
Quote:
It seems like they are making good power though. Is that due to the secondary injection? What I lose is different. Are we capable of more here then?
Boost is a measurement of restriction, with the valve lift there is more flow so although boost is lower there is more air flow overall. In terms of tune they run quite different so settings for them are in the 4's mostly. Transmissions are also not capable of high torque levels.
George Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:49 AM   #73
schiang

Drives: 2016 golf 1.8tsi auto
Got to push my car a bit after a handful of trips with my JB1. I can tell there is increased power from about 3k-5k. Not as dramatic as with prior ecu/chip upgrades on 3 different cars though. May play with map 6.

92 octane so any suggestions as to settings on map 6?
schiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:03 AM   #74
TwinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiang View Post
Got to push my car a bit after a handful of trips with my JB1. I can tell there is increased power from about 3k-5k. Not as dramatic as with prior ecu/chip upgrades on 3 different cars though. May play with map 6.

92 octane so any suggestions as to settings on map 6?
You have a JB1 or a JB4? I used 92 octane for a fill up last week vs my normal 93. Logs looked the same. If you are JB4, I would go with the target. Do a map 2 log and see how it looks. Base it off of that and start logging some more.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #75
Slick99

Drives: 2015 A3 1.8TFSI DSG7 Sedan
Quote:
Have you thought about the meth injection from BMS? Can you get it over there?
Sorry for late reply, yes i can use meth but dont want to take risk on my dsg7 gearbox.

Sent from my HTC 10

VCDS tweaks visual parking aid, needle sweep & oil temp on DIS
Slick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #76
sergemcgraw83

Drives: 2016 Golf 1.8T
George,

Stock Golf 1.8T with JB1 here.
91 octane is what I put in and is the highest I can get.
Outside Temperature : Summer: 25C(77F) Winter: -20C(-4F)

I am seeing the same low boost level (P3 Gauge w/real boost tap on intake manifold) as TwinDad (8 stock, 11 JB1map1). Did not tried it in the summer yet thought...

This is my daily driver that I don't plan to modify further. I want to get the JB4 upgrade but what would be the benefits? Is map1 stronger on JB4 vs JB1? Can I run map2 stock with 91? Should I do map6 (I don't see myslef adjusting it 4 time a year to accomodate temperature thought...)

Thanks!
sergemcgraw83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:42 PM   #77
TwinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergemcgraw83 View Post
George,

Stock Golf 1.8T with JB1 here.
91 octane is what I put in and is the highest I can get.
Outside Temperature : Summer: 25C(77F) Winter: -20C(-4F)

I am seeing the same low boost level (P3 Gauge w/real boost tap on intake manifold) as TwinDad (8 stock, 11 JB1map1). Did not tried it in the summer yet thought...

This is my daily driver that I don't plan to modify further. I want to get the JB4 upgrade but what would be the benefits? Is map1 stronger on JB4 vs JB1? Can I run map2 stock with 91? Should I do map6 (I don't see myslef adjusting it 4 time a year to accomodate temperature thought...)

Thanks!
I know George will respond as well, but if you use target on map6, you don't have to always adjust it. Also, the JB4 will monitor everything more than the JB1. It will allow you to optimize your settings for 91 octane better. The map 1 is supposed to be smoother and more power than the JB1. Once you log it, you can then see all of your timing and AFR values to know if you can add more boost or need to remove some. You can also see it at specific rpms. It made a huge difference with my car. I would never go back to the JB1 after having the JB4.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #78
Slick99

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Smooth View Post
Boost is a measurement of restriction, with the valve lift there is more flow so although boost is lower there is more air flow overall. In terms of tune they run quite different so settings for them are in the 4's mostly. Transmissions are also not capable of high torque levels.
George with aftermarket support and jb4 will i be able to increase lil more boost?

Sent from my HTC 10

Old 01-12-2017, 12:50 AM   #79
TwinDad

I have a little warmer weather here today, around 50 Fahrenheit. I also used a different gas. I had to fill up last time with 92 from a wawa. I added a bottle of royal purple octane booster to help it out. I was getting timing corrections and was maxing around 16 degrees on timing. I ran it down and then filled up with 93 from Exxon. My corrections went away. I even added a little more boost from 3500-5500. Still no corrections and my timing is now going up to 18.5 degrees at 6,400 rpms. What a difference good fuel makes. Only top tier from now on. The car feels a lot stronger with the extra 1lb of boost and more timing. It is also showing more timing across the mid range on up. Anxious to try some e85 blended in
Old 01-15-2017, 03:52 PM   #80
Slick99

Just installed the jb4 today, i havent drove much....but m running on map 1 on 20psi....cant run on map 2 as its too aggresive for my A3 gearbox

Sent from my HTC 10

Old 01-15-2017, 04:10 PM   #81
TwinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick99 View Post
Just installed the jb4 today, i havent drove much....but m running on map 1 on 20psi....cant run on map 2 as its too aggresive for my A3 gearbox

Sent from my HTC 10
Wow. So map 1 is giving you 20psi? What's you outside temp and IAT? I'm only getting in the 11's on map 2 when I'm at 0C/32F. I am using map 6 and can get into the 15's before timing corrections. I'm hoping a downpipe will allow a little more
Old 01-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #82
Slick99

Quote:
Wow. So map 1 is giving you 20psi? What's you outside temp and IAT? I'm only getting in the 11's on map 2 when I'm at 0C/32F. I am using map 6 and can get into the 15's before timing corrections. I'm hoping a downpipe will allow a little more
All the values not showing on pc so i downloaded android apps same thing all displays not working. Only user adjustments working, i had to set safetyboost to 20psi as it was set to 24psi in default. Fuel Open loop was on 60 which is fine, first gear set to 14psi. I have told George about display prob and so i guess i have to put jb1 board back as to check all the display/values working.

Sent from my HTC 10

Last edited by Slick99; 01-15-2017 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #83
Faceman

Drives: 2017 GSW S 4Mo
Quote:
I have a little warmer weather here today, around 50 Fahrenheit. I also used a different gas. I had to fill up last time with 92 from a wawa. I added a bottle of royal purple octane booster to help it out. I was getting timing corrections and was maxing around 16 degrees on timing. I ran it down and then filled up with 93 from Exxon. My corrections went away. I even added a little more boost from 3500-5500. Still no corrections and my timing is now going up to 18.5 degrees at 6,400 rpms. What a difference good fuel makes. Only top tier from now on. The car feels a lot stronger with the extra 1lb of boost and more timing. It is also showing more timing across the mid range on up. Anxious to try some e85 blended in
Proof that over the counter octane booster is next to useless.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #84
TwinDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Proof that over the counter octane booster is next to useless.
So true. According to their specs, it should have raised my octane to at least 95.5. Never buying anything outside of top tier for now on. The only thing else that will go in the tank will be a little e85 maybe
Old 01-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #85
stuntnuts

Drives: 2018 Golf Sportwagen S 4Motion
Does anyone with JB4 have plans to upgrade their turbo to the IS20?
stuntnuts is offline   Reply With Quote