GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 AM   #18
fastlax16

Drives: 2016 Deep Black Golf R Manual-Sold
18 R - first Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe View Post
All cost aside ... Iím a huge fan of the R&D that
APR puts in. I trust the product. Not sure I feel the same about the JB stuff

The rsc technology in their old exhausts was really impressive... and by impressive I mean complete scam they refused to own up to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fastlax16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:51 AM   #19
crild

Drives: MK7 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlax16 View Post
The rsc technology in their old exhausts was really impressive...

Apr and R&D shouldnt be in the same sentence
crild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:31 AM   #20
Stevo_CT

Drives: 2017 R DSG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurnis View Post
APR plus is a waste of money. Go Stage 1 and be done with it.
If you are really concerned about warranty just get a JB4.
If you know you are going to stage 2 in the future... Go stage 2 now and stop robbing yourself of all those miles of enjoyment.
Car youth is wasted on the young. Your car is in the prime of its life. Don't wait til parts are getting old and worn out and your warranty is gone to put some stress on the motor. following an accelerated maintenance schedule will off set any premature wear.
Don't agree with your advice concerning warranty.
Warranty is a critical part of ownership, and I absolutely do not want to spend any money should something break during this period.

Hence why I have left my R bog standard, and will not keep the car outside of warranty.
If I want more power, I will have to consider an RS3 or vehicles in that performance/price bracket.

I won't even use a JB unit either. I would guess that many people are similarly inclined.
Stevo_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 03:15 PM   #21
ATR

Drives: 2017 Golf R 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlax16 View Post
The rsc technology in their old exhausts was really impressive... and by impressive I mean complete scam they refused to own up to.

This is true, their RSC exhaust left a bad taste in the mouths of many for APR. That said they are under different ownership now then they were then. Doesn't excuse what they did. But I have more faith in them now vs then. They do indeed seem to be turning a new leaf now and getting back on track with being a good company.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
crild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
This is true, their RSC exhaust left a bad taste in the mouths of many for APR. That said they are under different ownership now then they were then. Doesn't excuse what they did. But I have more faith in them now vs then. They do indeed seem to be turning a new leaf now and getting back on track with being a good company.
They have gone bankrupt and have been bought and sold multiple times. their entire agenda now is profit > all so they are just pumping out products to satisfy that need. We all know their stage 3/3+ blow motors, welds fail on their DP, overpriced brakes with "proprietary" piston sizes, etc.

That said I would most likely still go APR if I went with a tune due to the fact they are the only tuner within 2 hours or so of my location.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:20 PM   #23
XM_Rocks

Drives: '16 GTI SE 6MT w/ LP, PP, DCC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowe View Post
All cost aside ... I’m a huge fan of the R&D that
APR puts in. I trust the product. Not sure I feel the same about the JB stuff
Not going to throw shade at APR but they have had some missteps in the past.

It’s a nice safe OTS product.

JB on the other hand has had the owner on here with almost a 200 page thread answering Qs and working with users. Burger is also well known as they’ve been doing BMW stuff for over 10 years and have an amazing rep.

JB is also nice because you can take it off and sell + you can stack it with a software tune.

I am a big fan of COBB and JB for that reason. I ran a COBB AP on my 335i for 3 years. Bought it used for $575 and sold it for $500 when I sold the car.

That and the ability to read and clear codes was so much better than a flash.

When you flash a car the tune is lost to the car, so if you sell or total the car you’re stuck.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #24
XM_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATR View Post
My $0.02.

That was a rebranded Corsa product and I can tell you that it was amazing.

I had the 3Ē TBE APR RSC exhaust for my MK5 GTI and it was hands down the best exhaust product Iíve ever had.

Absolutely no drone on the highway, it was stock sounding.

Over 3k it screamed.

I donít care if it was stuffed with Unicorn hair and mud dauber nests, it worked.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #25
crild

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
Not going to throw shade at APR but they have had some missteps in the past.

Itís a nice safe OTS product.

JB on the other hand has had the owner on here with almost a 200 page thread answering Qs and working with users. Burger is also well known as theyíve been doing BMW stuff for over 10 years and have an amazing rep.

JB is also nice because you can take it off and sell + you can stack it with a software tune.

I am a big fan of COBB and JB for that reason. I ran a COBB AP on my 335i for 3 years. Bought it used for $575 and sold it for $500 when I sold the car.

That and the ability to read and clear codes was so much better than a flash.

When you flash a car the tune is lost to the car, so if you sell or total the car youíre stuck.
JB1 causes fuel cuts when pushing the car hard, and the Cobb stage 2 I'm pretty sure was the reason the engine on my mk6 died. Luckily for me I traded it in and the next owner within 2000 miles popped the engine.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM   #26
XM_Rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crild View Post
JB1 causes fuel cuts when pushing the car hard, and the Cobb stage 2 I'm pretty sure was the reason the engine on my mk6 died. Luckily for me I traded it in and the next owner within 2000 miles popped the engine.
JB4 would prevent that, right?

Also, hasn’t APR allegedly popped a few motors?

When I tune I plan to Cobb with a custom tune.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
crild

Quote:
JB4 would prevent that, right?

Also, hasnít APR allegedly popped a few motors?

When I tune I plan to Cobb with a custom tune.
For me I want the motor stock since I track the car and I tried the jb1 but it causes massive fuel cuts on load.

Apr tunes were known for popping mk6 motors but on the mqb the only product they make that will cause that is their stage 3 kit.

Only tune package that pops motors would be custom code or whatever IROZ tune is called for the MQB.

Cobb is well known but it has left a bad taste in my mouth from my mk6.

Again just me .02 thrown in here
Old 06-18-2019, 04:52 PM   #28
ATR

Drives: 2017 Golf R 6mt
Quote:
Originally Posted by crild View Post
They have gone bankrupt and have been bought and sold multiple times. their entire agenda now is profit > all so they are just pumping out products to satisfy that need. We all know their stage 3/3+ blow motors, welds fail on their DP, overpriced brakes with "proprietary" piston sizes, etc.

That said I would most likely still go APR if I went with a tune due to the fact they are the only tuner within 2 hours or so of my location.
Stage 3 power levels also get torque beyond what the stock blocks can handle. That's not exactly APR's fault. Although it would be best practice to detune the tune a bit for stock blocks.

There are a few flash at home tunes that you may want to check out as well. Eurodyne, GIAC, and IE are all good tines. Cobb is also a option, I've heard that their OTS tunes are pretty bad. Also the aftermarket tuners for Cobb are very hit or miss.

Quote:
My $0.02.

That was a rebranded Corsa product and I can tell you that it was amazing.

I had the 3Ē TBE APR RSC exhaust for my MK5 GTI and it was hands down the best exhaust product Iíve ever had.

Absolutely no drone on the highway, it was stock sounding.

Over 3k it screamed.

I donít care if it was stuffed with Unicorn hair and mud dauber nests, it worked.
I recall the APR exhaust gate thread showing build quality WAAAAAY worse then the Corsa replicas...
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6640

Their newer exhaust is much better. Perhaps one of the best on the market.
ATR is offline   Reply With Quote