GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Ordering | Pricing | PR Material Discussions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 03:56 PM   #18
odin2347
Member
 
Drives: mk 7 gti SE LP
Location: Maine
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 34
I'm getting impatient and seeing some nice deals on 2017 S3...
odin2347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:03 AM   #19
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Today I visited a VW dealer and test drove a 2017 GTI SE. This was my first experience driving a GTI (or any VW), and I can tell it's an excellent car. I asked the manager when they expect to get the new 2018 ones, and she said "We haven't heard anything yet, but probably November." I said let me know, as I'm definitely interested.

It's between this, Kia Stinger, and Buick Regal GS for me.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 AM   #20
The Fed
Senior Member
 
The Fed's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Golf R
Location: Florida
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
Today I visited a VW dealer and test drove a 2017 GTI SE. This was my first experience driving a GTI (or any VW), and I can tell it's an excellent car. I asked the manager when they expect to get the new 2018 ones, and she said "We haven't heard anything yet, but probably November." I said let me know, as I'm definitely interested.

It's between this, Kia Stinger, and Buick Regal GS for me.
Kia is a large car, if that's what you're into.

Regal is a POS in comparison.
__________________
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:14 AM   #21
king12sky
Senior Member
 
Drives: 17' GTI, 14' S4
Location: FL
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by odin2347 View Post
I'm getting impatient and seeing some nice deals on 2017 S3...
S3 is what you would want to upgrade to. I'm going to do that once I find a nice deal on a slightly used one. Probably Christmas time.
king12sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:38 AM   #22
GolfWang
Senior Member
 
GolfWang's Avatar
 
Drives: '15 Night Blue DSG S
Location: Flipadelphia
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
Today I visited a VW dealer and test drove a 2017 GTI SE. This was my first experience driving a GTI (or any VW), and I can tell it's an excellent car. I asked the manager when they expect to get the new 2018 ones, and she said "We haven't heard anything yet, but probably November." I said let me know, as I'm definitely interested.

It's between this, Kia Stinger, and Buick Regal GS for me.


No idea what a Kia stinger is, but Kias are lifeless cars.

Buicks are for old people.

Get the GTI.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GolfWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:52 AM   #23
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fed View Post
Kia is a large car, if that's what you're into.
Midsize, actually. I am mostly shopping midsize sedans, with the GTI being the exception.

Quote:
Regal is a POS in comparison.
Have you looked at the new GS though? It's actually a German car, the Opel Insignia, re-branded for the US market. At 310 hp with AWD, it's no slouch. Check it out:

http://m.buick.com/regal-mid-size-lu...dan/#/regal-gs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
No idea what a Kia stinger is, but Kias are lifeless cars.

Buicks are for old people.
The Stinger is a RWD/AWD sport sedan that was designed by Albert Biermann, former VP of BMW. It was tuned on the Nurburgring. It looks badass, check it out:

http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...s/2018-stinger

That being said, the Stinger is totally unproven, while the GTI is a classic. So the GTI is the frontrunner right now overall. It really was a joy to drive. And those performance brakes - holy shit, those brakes! So good. Also love the red detail on the interior. I tested an Acura TLX A-spec last week, which is a $46,000 car...and the GTI has a nicer interior!

Last edited by Jumpy; 08-03-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
RennWerks
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Sport
Location: Hither n Yon
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfWang View Post
. . . Buicks are for old people. . .
I resemble that remark. (Alas, you're probably too young to know where that comes from.)

Quote:
Get the GTI
Now that I agree with.
RennWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #25
AspektZA
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Location: Austin, Texas
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
Midsize, actually. I am mostly shopping midsize sedans, with the GTI being the exception.



Have you looked at the new GS though? It's actually a German car, the Opel Insignia, re-branded for the US market. At 310 hp with AWD, it's no slouch. Check it out:

http://m.buick.com/regal-mid-size-lu...dan/#/regal-gs



The Stinger is a RWD/AWD sport sedan that was designed by Albert Biermann, former VP of BMW. It was tuned on the Nurburgring. It looks badass, check it out:

http://www.kia.com/us/en/content/veh...s/2018-stinger

That being said, the Stinger is totally unproven, while the GTI is a classic. So the GTI is the frontrunner right now overall. It really was a joy to drive. And those performance brakes - holy shit, those brakes! So good. Also love the red detail on the interior. I tested an Acura TLX A-spec last week, which is a $46,000 car...and the GTI has a nicer interior!
If you're looking at a car that size, why not an Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti?
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:34 AM   #26
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektZA View Post
If you're looking at a car that size, why not an Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti?
I don't like how they look in the front, and there aren't any dealers near me. Appreciate the suggestion, though. I love the design aesthetics on the Stinger, especially the front end, and it also has a hatchback (not sure if the Giulia does).

The truth is, size isn't actually that important to me - I can do with something small or something midsize, either is good. The main limiting factor is that I want something with a mixture of performance and luxury features and a good automatic transmission.

Last edited by Jumpy; 08-04-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #27
snobrdrdan
Senior Member
 
snobrdrdan's Avatar
 
Drives: a VW
Location: Southeast Michigan
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,189
Send a message via AIM to snobrdrdan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
I tested an Acura TLX A-spec last week, which is a $46,000 car...and the GTI has a nicer interior!
What else did you think about it?
Just curious
__________________
'17 Tiguan
snobrdrdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:22 AM   #28
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by snobrdrdan View Post
What else did you think about it?
Just curious
It's good, just a little overpriced when you spec it out. It has a 9-speed, so it shifts really fast. Honda's AWD system uses torque vectoring, so it handles well. It gets up to speed fast enough, but the GTI feels a bit faster being so much lighter. Some people don't like the push-button transmission, as it has no traditional shifter. Overall I like what they did for the midcycle refresh, especially with the A-spec package. It looks much more aggressive than past versions of the TLX. If I were to get one, I'd go with the Still Night Blue paint.

Last edited by Jumpy; 08-04-2017 at 09:32 AM.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:18 PM   #29
AspektZA
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Location: Austin, Texas
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
I don't like how they look in the front, and there aren't any dealers near me. Appreciate the suggestion, though. I love the design aesthetics on the Stinger, especially the front end, and it also has a hatchback (not sure if the Giulia does).

The truth is, size isn't actually that important to me - I can do with something small or something midsize, either is good. The main limiting factor is that I want something with a mixture of performance and luxury features and a good automatic transmission.
This is what the new Giulia is. It's beautiful and turns heads.

Its ZF 8-spd has been very well regarded in tests, and it has nice big aluminum paddle shifters. It's close as you'll get to a racing sequential box.

Alfa Romeo is simply The Name in terms of pedigree and heritage. Every Alfa ever built is a race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66j2Lm_kLc
https://youtu.be/fDunrxL4kvM?t=346
http://www.acme-ltd.com/Satch/Satch.html

Kia is a soulless peddler of Kenmore cars for people in suburbs who have given up on motoring.

Last edited by AspektZA; 08-04-2017 at 03:27 PM.
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #30
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by AspektZA View Post
This is what the new Giulia is. It's beautiful and turns heads.

Its ZF 8-spd has been very well regarded in tests, and it has nice big aluminum paddle shifters. It's close as you'll get to a racing sequential box.

Alfa Romeo is simply The Name in terms of pedigree and heritage. Every Alfa ever built is a race car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c66j2Lm_kLc
https://youtu.be/fDunrxL4kvM?t=346
http://www.acme-ltd.com/Satch/Satch.html

Kia is a soulless peddler of Kenmore cars for people in suburbs who have given up on motoring.
I can tell it's a great car, I just dislike that triangular grill. I will keep looking at it, and maybe it'll grow on me
I don't judge Kia solely on their past reputation because their new cars are being designed by different people.

Edit: I'm seeing some negative articles about AR...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...giulia-issues/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-service-bay/

Fiat cars are really unreliable, with nearly twice as many problems as the industry average.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sit...ds-chart-1.jpg

Last edited by Jumpy; 08-04-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:22 AM   #31
mopar22
Senior Member
 
Drives: dodge dart
Location: Va/MI
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 200
The gulia has had some kinks to work out on the American side but a lot of it has been fixed already with software flashes. If you're leasing you'll love the car but if you're gonna own a car I'd skip the Kia and Alfa as they're both all new cars and may get stuck with issues further down the line. My whole family has always had fca products other than my mom and have never had issues like the cars my mom has had. I have a dart currently and a lot of people say they're pos cars but I've never had any issues since getting it
mopar22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 02:05 AM   #32
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar22 View Post
The gulia has had some kinks to work out on the American side but a lot of it has been fixed already with software flashes. If you're leasing you'll love the car but if you're gonna own a car I'd skip the Kia and Alfa as they're both all new cars and may get stuck with issues further down the line. My whole family has always had fca products other than my mom and have never had issues like the cars my mom has had. I have a dart currently and a lot of people say they're pos cars but I've never had any issues since getting it
True, good point. I am going to own. On the other hand, it would be kinda cool to own the first version of a car ever made...assuming it turns out to be actually good, lol. I'm gonna carefully look at reviews and test drive, of course.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:54 AM   #33
Jumpy
Senior Member
 
Drives: '18 GTI Autobahn DSG
Location: Dallas, TX, USA
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 261
Man, I'm actually leaning towards getting a Golf R now. If I were to get a GTI, I would definitely get the Autobahn trim because I must have premium audio and DCC. I would also add the Driver Assist package, bringing the total to $37k. At that point, it's only $4k less than the R, which has AWD and the new 7-speed DSG.

I wanted to keep the total cost south of 40k, but fuck it...I can go over a little, I guess. Having a strict boundary is arbitrary, anyway.

The new R should arrive at the same time as the GTI, right? I also like how there's only one trim for the R, and everything is included, so there's no need to special order one. I would go for the Lapiz Blue, which I assume is the most common color due to its exclusivity.

Last edited by Jumpy; 08-05-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Jumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:51 PM   #34
AspektZA
Senior Member
 
Drives: GTI Mk7 SE DSG
Location: Austin, Texas
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpy View Post
I can tell it's a great car, I just dislike that triangular grill. I will keep looking at it, and maybe it'll grow on me
I don't judge Kia solely on their past reputation because their new cars are being designed by different people.

Edit: I'm seeing some negative articles about AR...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...giulia-issues/
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...r-service-bay/

Fiat cars are really unreliable, with nearly twice as many problems as the industry average.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sit...ds-chart-1.jpg
FIAT's main problem child in the US was the 500.

AR is using a totally new platform (Giorgio) that's been out in Europe for a little while now. Most of the issues were the result of software, which seems to have been taken care of with dealer updates.

Cars today have something like 300,000 lines of code to run the whole operation, and its no surprise that there's bugs to work out.

Even after all these years, VWs still suffer their windows occasionally forgetting one touch up/down.
AspektZA is offline   Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.