GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > GTI Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes

Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #885
GLoBaLReBeL

Drives: 2016 Golf GTI
The fan blades are far enough from that plastic support piece that even if there was momentary push from the piping, it wouldn't cause an issue. I had the same fitment problem, and while I was worried at first, I haven't seen any issues.
Old 08-21-2018, 02:39 AM   #886
arob157

Drives: 2017 VW GTI SE DSG
Decided to take a look at IATs today to make me smile. Used obdEleven for simplicity. Low and behold they were quite higher than they should have been. The morning before I took some logs and they were fine. Temps were 71F ambient both days. Intake temps were 100F+. They would drop in an aftermarket intercooler trend, but were just too high for something not to have been wrong. Boost and all looked good, timing wasn't too far off.

Checked all hoses and and everything looked great. Was gonna just leave it to heat soak, but something was fishy. Took the intake cowl off and was inspecting the seal etc. Went to reinstall and sure enough, I had not seated it into the grill all the way. Hopefully that helps. Didn't remember it installing that far. I had installed it into the first bolt slot that is actually for the tab to seat into.

Just a lesson from someone who missed that detail.
2017 GTI DSG | LP |PP // Eurodyne Stage 2 ADJ ECU & Stage 1 DSG // Stock Intake Mods // Magic IC // EuroCode DP w/ CeraKote Hi Temp // EuroCode RSB // Moog K750809 Endlinks // Miro 111 18 x 8.5" | 245/40/18 Kuhmo PS91
arob157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 02:46 AM   #887
arob157

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoBaLReBeL View Post
The fan blades are far enough from that plastic support piece that even if there was momentary push from the piping, it wouldn't cause an issue. I had the same fitment problem, and while I was worried at first, I haven't seen any issues.
I definitely saw that. Now I need to put something in between the coolant hose and the intake. That is super close to the intake now as well.
2017 GTI DSG | LP |PP // Eurodyne Stage 2 ADJ ECU & Stage 1 DSG // Stock Intake Mods // Magic IC // EuroCode DP w/ CeraKote Hi Temp // EuroCode RSB // Moog K750809 Endlinks // Miro 111 18 x 8.5" | 245/40/18 Kuhmo PS91
Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #888
mk7gti2.0

Drives: 2016 VW Golf R
Honestly temps will be 20 to 30 degrees over ambient with this intercooler if it's hot outside and your just cruising around especially with the AC on. But WOT will drop temps down very quickly sometimes only a degree or two higher than ambient.
mk7gti2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:23 PM   #889
arob157

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk7gti2.0 View Post
Honestly temps will be 20 to 30 degrees over ambient with this intercooler if it's hot outside and your just cruising around especially with the AC on. But WOT will drop temps down very quickly sometimes only a degree or two higher than ambient.
I suppose that is one 'disadvantage' to a stock location IC. That being said, my IATs were drastically better this AM after correcting my install error. I was pulling in a ton of air from the engine bay. Gonna get one of the factory blocker plates for the intake as well.

Maybe some heat tape for the radiator hose under the intake. The intake is actually up against the radiator in one location (albeit extremely minor).
Old 08-27-2018, 04:40 PM   #890
aameghoo

Drives: 2015 Golf R
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renck View Post
Stop asking questions and buy it already............

Not an R (as you know), but I used the stock hoses. They were in really good shape and hence I was able to use them to keep the stock look at my car.
Ordered the Intercooler Thursday Aug 16 and received it exactly one week later Aug 23. With the help of Renck, we got the intercooler installed last Friday. Didn't have any issues at all really. To his suggestion we shaved BOTH posts, not just one, to match the factory intercooler in my 15' R and everything fit perfectly on the first try. No gaps after putting everything together.

With the AC off, I'm now only about 10 degrees above ambient after extended runs. We went on a 4 hour mountain drive this past weekend and heatsoak was nonexistent, power delivery was much more consistent compared to previous drives.

Here's a 360 timelapse of the install, remember you can pan around in the video, again shoutout to Renck, he was a ton of help with the install

360 Degree Timelapse video of install

https://youtu.be/OSNFrcuy7-4
aameghoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:28 PM   #891
mk7gti2.0

Drives: 2016 VW Golf R
Quote:
Originally Posted by arob157 View Post
I suppose that is one 'disadvantage' to a stock location IC. That being said, my IATs were drastically better this AM after correcting my install error. I was pulling in a ton of air from the engine bay. Gonna get one of the factory blocker plates for the intake as well.

Maybe some heat tape for the radiator hose under the intake. The intake is actually up against the radiator in one location (albeit extremely minor).
Good to hear it's doing better since you fixed the intake. But you are right the bigger intercooler takes more psi to push the air across the bigger core. But really heatsoak isn't really much a issue. Definitely well worth the 250 bux it cost.

Last edited by mk7gti2.0; 08-27-2018 at 08:39 PM.
mk7gti2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:00 PM   #892
GTI7871

Drives: 2016 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk7gti2.0 View Post
This is pretty much the same with any IC upgrade of this size. Iíve been running this IC in S Florida with 0 issues and loving it every day!
Old 08-28-2018, 05:33 AM   #893
geokilla

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI DSG with DAP
Probably going to pick up the intercooler tomorrow since eBay has 15% off and then eBates Canada has 15% cash back on top. Aside from the intercooler and the hoses, did anyone need to buy anything else? I recall reading something about plastic clips or something.

My GTI is stock right now but I plan on upgrading to Stage 1 in the future. Don't know how long these 15% deals will last but I figure nothing can beat 15% off plus an additional 15% cash back even if eBay keeps on having these 15% off promotions for the next year.
geokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #894
Clem604

Drives: 2018 GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by geokilla View Post
Aside from the intercooler and the hoses, did anyone need to buy anything else? I recall reading something about plastic clips or something
You don't even need the extra hoses really, you can just reuse the stock ones. As for the clips, they help in the sense that you can just break the existing clips off the IC as a much easier way of getting them off.
JB1/Majesty Intercooler/034 Dogbone Mount/034 Engine+Transmission Mounts/APR Pendulum Mount/K&N Drop In Filter/APR Turbo Inlet Pipe/Remus Axleback/Neuspeed Short Shifter/42 DD Shifter Bushings/ECS Clutch Bleeder Block/ECS SS Clutch Line-DG Springs/H&R 24mm RSB/EBC Redstuff Pads/18x8 OZ Alleggerita/Riken Raptor 235/40/18

Last edited by Clem604; 08-28-2018 at 06:31 AM.
Clem604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 06:54 PM   #895
Stump909

Drives: 2016 Golf R DSG
I’ve noticed more brands are starting to pop-up, some with visual differences like uniformly shaped inlet/outlet (ie doesnt taper off to a smaller diameter) and inlet fins.
Stump909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #896
geokilla

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI DSG with DAP
I received my intercooler and didn't inspect it yet. However a friend was saying that his boss has a modified RX-8, and when you upgrade your intercooler you also need to upgrade the thermostats and sensors so the ECU knows the air from the intercooler is colder for the engine and what not. Is that required?
geokilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #897
GTI7871

Quote:
I received my intercooler and didn't inspect it yet. However a friend was saying that his boss has a modified RX-8, and when you upgrade your intercooler you also need to upgrade the thermostats and sensors so the ECU knows the air from the intercooler is colder for the engine and what not. Is that required?
None of that is required for our cars.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #898
ITGUY

Quote:

I'm going to say I've never heard of that... why would you change the thermostats and air temp sensors when that is what they do.. detect temperature?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:30 PM   #899
Oldschoolmk7

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Make sure yall once the front bumper clip is off to pop out the air diverters on both sides of grill area. This helps bring in more air into sandwich condenser/ic/radiator area. My A/C blew ice cold. .