GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 09-15-2018, 05:18 PM   #1
gtifisherman

Drives: 2017 GTI S 6MT
Canít get strut back in 2x4 method, help!

Just like the title sayís... 2017 gti s 6 speed. Used the 2x4 method to pop out the strut and now it seems if I donít have enough clearance to pop it he strut back in. This is with a VWR spring in the strut too, should be shorter. The axle hits the sub frame when there is still about an inch need. Tried everything but canít make it work. Any ideas short of removing the axle?
gtifisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
TheWedgie

Drives: 2017 Volkswagen Golf GTI SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtifisherman View Post
Just like the title sayís... 2017 gti s 6 speed. Used the 2x4 method to pop out the strut and now it seems if I donít have enough clearance to pop it he strut back in. This is with a VWR spring in the strut too, should be shorter. The axle hits the sub frame when there is still about an inch need. Tried everything but canít make it work. Any ideas short of removing the axle?
Are you raising the strut back up with the 2x4 method to get the clearance you need to realign? Then you just lower your jack to get it started back in the boot.

If that's not working for some reason... You might as well just remove the 6 (or maybe 8?) axle bolts... It's really not that bad removing/reinstalling those bolts (unless your car is high mileage).
TheWedgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:05 PM   #3
gtifisherman

Drives: 2017 GTI S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWedgie View Post
Are you raising the strut back up with the 2x4 method to get the clearance you need to realign? Then you just lower your jack to get it started back in the boot.

If that's not working for some reason... You might as well just remove the 6 (or maybe 8?) axle bolts... It's really not that bad removing/reinstalling those bolts (unless your car is high mileage).
I was trying to raise it back with the 2x4 but I can’t keep it in place. I think I’m going to drill a hole in the 2x4 and mount it to the strut. I just discovered that trick in another thread. Will report back.
gtifisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Shortybdub

Drives: My wife crazy
Quote:
I was trying to raise it back with the 2x4 but I canít keep it in place. I think Iím going to drill a hole in the 2x4 and mount it to the strut. I just discovered that trick in another thread. Will report back.
Bingo.

Also, this is a good read:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22788
Old 09-15-2018, 09:59 PM   #5
dwvw

Drives: 2015 GTI, 1987 BMW E30, 1965VW Beetle
Quote:
I was trying to raise it back with the 2x4 but I canít keep it in place. I think Iím going to drill a hole in the 2x4 and mount it to the strut. I just discovered that trick in another thread. Will report back.
Yup, bolt the 2x4 to the sway bar mount. Keeps everything in place.