GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 04-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #18
drshark

Drives: '16 R; past-2005 Crossfire SRT6, 1983 BMW 635
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate704 View Post
That's why I don't trust those "TECHS" at the dealers.
Funny this should be the topic of conversation today.... So, I changed the oil in my wife’s old minivan this weekend (she of the future desire for a “bad girl car”, if you recall).

Turns out the numble-de-num who last changed the oil lock-tited the drain plug in place. He probably stripped the threads with an impact wrench. I dropped the entire pan to change the oil...

Shawn

drshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #19
DarkArrow

Drives: '18 R
Holy cow, that's something I'd expect a Jiffy Lube to do, not the dealership.

Because I'm paranoid, I'd fight for, at bare minimum, a compression test and to reimburse you for an engine bay cleaning at whatever detailer you prefer.
DarkArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #20
gtimusings

Drives: 2017 Golf R
I suspect the oil filter gasket was not bad, it was installed incorrectly or not at all.......
gtimusings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #21
fossilfuel

Drives: 2017 Golf-R
Carter ran my TDi without oil during an oil change. Drove it off the rack empty then realized. It happens. There was no noticeable damage though.
fossilfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
The Fed

Drives: 2016 Golf R
Always lots of stories how dealer techs screw up oil changes. I'll bet not one customer considered asking who was doing the work on their car or their credentials. I was ignorant when I was young too.

You buy the second (or the most) expensive asset in your life yet don't care who's maintaining it? I'm not sure how it's done now, but there used to be three classes of technicians; A, B, and C. C's were the oil change/tire guys, B's were experienced mechanics, and A's were the best. They passed multiple, if not all ASE tests, and they were trained by the manufacturer of the brand. Any dealership I use, one tech does it all so I don't know if there are techs that just do grunt work anymore.

Not only do I make sure I get a top tech, I do my best to use the same tech every time. If it's an emergency and he's not there, I make sure I get someone he recommended. Also, I figure if I can afford a $45K out the door car I can afford to tip well.

So if you don't want to at least spend the amount of time researching a technician as you did when you were buying your car, I don't feel sorry for you.

And before you drive away, look at the area(s) that were worked on with the engine running. If you have an oil leak after an oil service it should be obvious. One thing to note is, the dealer is not supposed to reuse the drain plug.
(Mostly) Posted by Josh/AWE. Flapper valves are open at idle, close after 1100 RPM during part throttle. Full throttle 1st-4th gear the valves open until throttle let off. 4th gear, 1500 RPM to full throttle closed, closed until 3500 RPM, then open until lift off throttle.
The Fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 PM   #23
Excelsior

Drives: 2015 GOLF R - APRStage2
A good tech would have taken the car around the block and then checked under the hood!
APR Stage 2 "high torque" / APR TCU tune /APR Downpipe / Neuspeed Black FMIC / 034 CAI / CTS Intake Pipe / Neuspeed Discharge Pipe / RS3 Coils / 034 Dog Bone Mount / AWE Switch Path Remote / Neuspeed 25MM Rear Sway Bar / SuperPro end links / 034 Rear Subframe Mount Inserts / Neuspeed RSE102 Gun Metal 19" wheels / Michelin Super Sport 4s tires
Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:39 PM   #24
Urlik

Drives: Golf 7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior View Post
A good tech would have taken the car around the block and then checked under the hood!
Techs don't do oil changes though, their time is more valuable. Some barely over minimum wage monkey does them.
Urlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #25
Finglonga

Drives: Mk7 Golf GTI Performance
I always check the car over nd around the engine bay before I start the car regardless of dealer or independent garage . So far all I have found was a breather hose was not connected to the air box and the little cog missing from the glove box damper (it had fell out and was under the seat).