GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > GTI & Golf MK7 General Discussions

Old 06-10-2018, 12:16 AM   #1
cfalenski

Drives: GTI
2018 GTI or 2018 WRX Pros and Cons Please

Looking at either a 2018 WRX or 2018 GTI
Looking to buy in December January.
Will not be driven daily but a family car.
I drive a company truck 5 to 7 days a week.
I plan on a catback with in the first week of purchase, don't care about the power gain or not gain, I want some noise.
I would like to tune stage 1 Cobb AP until I get a Stage 2 or 3 Clutch. Then Stage 2 tune one day one year.

I have been reading up on both cars. I just mainly care about how well the cars will last and not blowing it up.

I will not be beating on the car, but I will open it up every now and then.

GTI concerns, IS20 turbo, and warranty issues if I tune it.
cfalenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:22 AM   #2
Thurnis

Drives: MK7 Golf R
Thats quite a long time from now. Just wait on 2019 car news. Don't narrow yourself to what is on the market now. Things are shifting rapidly.
Thurnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
Jdreg

Drives: 2018 gti autobahn
I had the same decision to make
Wrx has more power and all wheel drive.
In every other way the Gti is better
Jdreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:34 AM   #4
CB1111

WRX. Louder
CB1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:53 AM   #5
vj123

Drives: 2016 GTI AB (sold)
WRX is a great vehicle. But i went with GTI for the following reasons:
- DSG. This is my first ever automatic vehicle and DSG is one of the main reason why i zeroed a GTI.
- GTIs interior is far better than WRX.
- Hatch option.

MK7 platform doesnt have any major issues and i would prefer a 2018 especially with People's warranty. And you will be voiding your warranty if you tune the vehicle. This thread will give you a good picture about it. https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7492. Many people go JB1 or JB4 route to gain more power without modifying the ECU.
vj123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 01:02 AM   #6
Hoon

Drives: '17 GTI Sport DSG
Why i chose the GTI:

Interior is WAY better
Engine is smoother and more refined
Responds much better to mods
Engine is more durable - FA20s have weak rods, piston issues, etc
Doesn't look boy-racer
DSG trans
Turbo issues are rare in later models...they do occasionally happen though
Old 06-10-2018, 02:13 AM   #7
Oldschoolmk7

Drives: Mk7 GTI
Did this back in 2016. Would make exact same choice 2018. GTI. By a mile...
Old 06-10-2018, 02:30 AM   #8
seanmcd

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn
If you just want noise, get a Civic and a fart can. There aren't a lot of WRX fans here, so you should get a GTI unless you live in the land of snow.
seanmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:38 AM   #9
etmanning1

I test drove both and upon getting in the WRX I immediately decided that I wouldn’t be getting one.

The wrx just felt cheap and rough compared to a GTI.

I bought my 2018 GTI about 2 months ago and have zero regrets. I do agree that this car is way too quiet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
etmanning1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:48 AM   #10
ElectricEye

Drives: '15 MK7 Reflex Silver
Subaru is ugly.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 03:45 AM   #11
cfalenski

Snow maybe 5 days a year, and the car will not be driven in it. I am nervous about tuning and losing warranty though. I have read more turbo failure issues about GTI then engine issues with the WRX after tuning. If i go GTI 6MT I would like to go cobb or cts cbe, a drop in filter, a turbo intake hose, and a stage 1 cobb tune until i can get a clutch. I have never worked on a FWD car or RWD. So i don't know how hard a clutch swap in the garage on floor jacks would be. Also if i go stage 1 mild tune how much risk of turbo failure on a 2018 GTI. I drive every day for my job so i need my license, so i don't plan on racing anyone, but i will open it up on the highway or when no one else is around from time to time.

I know this is a VW forum, but the GTI and WRX get compared a lot which is why i am looking for everyone's pro's and con's.
cfalenski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:02 AM   #12
Rafiki76

Drives: 2017 GTI SE DSG, BMW X5...
I drove a friends 2016 WRX. I hated the manual gearbox. The throws were long and numb. The interior was very subpar compared to a GTI, and the CVT is a disgrace.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
rclark82

Hey there, I am in almost completely the same position . I drove the 2018 WRX RA with short shifter etc... Although it was a large improvement on clutch and shifter feel from the previous I found it held back sometimes. It might have been from my high expectations; but mostly I think it was because the car was just heavier.

I would suggest driving both and decide which type of driving is priority. For me I don't get to do as much really high speed, so I'm ok with gti.

If you just want a loud car though, get a used BRZ, jk

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
rclark82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #14
Golfs everyday

Drives: 17 Golf-R
I have the current generation STI. If I was asked which car I would keep between my STI or GTI Autobahn (DSG), I would have to say my STI.

But if it was between my STI and Golf-R.. not sure. They are completely different dynamic cars and this is why I have kept them. If I have a taste for super fun driving, I would take the STI. If I want relaxed yet fast fun driving, I would take the Golf-R. If I am just going to work or going shopping with my wife with fun driving, I would take the GTI. They all serve a different purpose.

Sorry, I might have confused you more..
Old 06-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #15
SugarMouth

Drives: 2016 GTI Autobahn DSG PP LP
I am not a fan of a 4cyl boxer engine, case was closed.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #16
josh_

Drives: 2016 WRX
Having owned a 16 wrx...

I loved my 16 WRX. It was my 10th Subaru (2 STi, 1 wrx, 2 RS's swapped, and a bivy of outbacks). The FA20DIT will be fine for the type of mods/driving your looking to do. It was the best handling Subaru out of the box I had driven, yet was a fun daily driver. The suspension being just on the other side of firm. The interior was standard Subaru, bland. But it was fairly well thought out and had a better texture and feel than previous models. Although not a big car, the interior is very roomy, the rear seats especially. The DIT motor coupled with the new placement of the turbo makes a VERY quick car that gets great gas mileage. Lastly, the AWD system is superior (if you are counting that). I lived at altitude in the snow, and you simply cannot beat Subaru's AWD system compared to others. Quattro (non-Haldex) is the next best.

My mods included;
Cobb AP OTS S1
Nameless Cat back 5" tips (by far the best sound)
Kartboy short shift kit plus bearing
Enkei NT03 +m 18x9.5+27 255/35/18
STi wing

With the above said, there were quite a few issues. The stock tune is TERRIBLE. Like puke worthy performance above 70 degrees. The performance was wildly variable due to weather, quality of gas, etc. On hot days the car was an absolute pig. The car pulled timing so badly you could feel the car bucking and surging as you accelerated (to the point it would throw me forward into the seat belt). The Stage 1 Cobb tune helped, but a car from the factory should NOT be tuned so poorly. There was a recall for the 15's in response to an awful stock tune. The 16's+ were better, but at the cost of performance. Even with the Cobb tune, the car was ALWAYS pulling timing, and therefore was always under performing. Oh, and don't even think about turning on the AC. It turns the car into a Mack truck, and even more timing is pulled (all while blowing luke warm air, another age old Subaru "feature"). The gearbox was borderline OK. With the short shift kit it was doable, but really it was not a good set up. Very vague.

If you haven't already, head over to NASIOC forums, and filter to the FA20DIT forum. There is months of reading in there, and may be helpful in formulating your decision.

As far as the GTI? I have an R, so not super fair (I test drove a bunch of MK7 GTi). BUT, as others have stated above, there are some very distinct differences that stand out regardless of model;

- Interior is superior. period.
- The infotainment is better. Subaru Starlink is absolute junk.
- The factory tune is superior. Rarely do I notice timing changes or performance differences due to weather.
-The chassis is just a bit better. The car is and feels lighter. Which for me, makes spirited driving just one notch above the WRX.
- Its a hatchback. I will never own a sedan again. I talked myself into thinking the WRX was fine as a sedan. I was wrong. Worst decision Subaru made was getting rid of the WRX hatch.
- Responds to tunes and mods better. Especially the motor. These being mods that will not void your warranty.
- Iron engine block. I like that.
- Price.
- DSG. I needed to move to an auto. I so far love the DSG. I get you are looking at a manual, but I recommend rethinking that.

There is probably a bunch more, but I have already wrote a wall of words. All of course my opinion. Maybe this will help. Good luck with your decision!

josh
josh_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 06:48 PM   #17
CDM MK7

Drives: 2017 GTI Autobahn DSG
I have a ‘17 GTI and a ‘15 WRX Sport-Tech in the driveway. The WRX is Cobb Stage 1+, the GTI is JB1/brakes/wheels/tires/etc.

For a daily driver, GTI hands down. Zero comparison. Smoother, more comfortable, better seats, better stereo, better gas mileage, and just overall way more sophisticated. The WRX does not shine in the DD department although it’s perfectly fine for that.

The WRX comes into its own in bad weather, and is pretty fun on track. The overall driving experience is much more raw. The turbo lags, the AWD system clunks and rattles, it heat soaks, the shifter is notchy as hell (but much better than previous generations), and the suspension is too stiff for the amount of performance you get from it. However, that’s a WRX and I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s a quirky car, love it or hate it.

That being said, I’d still go GTI. Especially for a family car. The power potential on these cars is pretty nutty with very modest upgrades and you don’t miss out on any refinement in the process.
CDM MK7 is offline   Reply With Quote